• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Here is my little Mutton mania.

Sorry about the hostilities.......................Thought that you had written dog tooth. You can be the definitive snapper authority.....I don't study them I just shoot and eat em'

Attachments

• mutton.jpg
    mutton.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 762
Here is a nice king that I shot while in the keys this summer....

Attachments

• king.jpg
    king.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 722
This is the latest fatality. This species is rare in the area that I fish. This is the first one that I have seen in all the years that I have fished here. I was lucky to at least get a shot. He was runnin around like someone had lit his ass on fire. This was even before I shot him.................:D

Attachments

• cobia.jpg
    cobia.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 720
These are 27 inch yellowtail that we caught the night before at around four am. We came in and slept three hours before going back out to spear some fish and ran into the cobia and his little freinds.. This is Matthew holding the fish.

Attachments

• yellows.jpg
    yellows.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 709
Hey, El Gran Cubano! Aren't you supposed to be studying, or something??:hmm

Nice snappah btw. I'd a plugged that porker too.

sven

WHEEE !!! Can hardly keep up with the sudden influx of contributions :D Aquiles posted twice while I was feverishly checking out the photos on previous page ... DAMN , here is another one just arrived ...
Great cobia , Sturgeon , we call them prodigal sons back home ; ever hear that before ?
Ditto for your king , Aquiles ; That's my bread - and - butter fish at home ..:cool:
The smallish pelagic horizontally in centre of your dockside photo reminds me of a springer , what is it ?

It's obvious , Sven ... I am not bound to one specific area of reef , am a predator :D ,although admittedly haven't started turning grey yet ...rofl

So Many Responses

Everyone,

Wow, so many responses, so many questions. I love to see this kind of participation on the Forum. This is what it's all about!

Iya,

My boat is the one we're standing on in Scott Nelson's picture. It's a 22 ft powercat with a 8.5 ft beam. It's made by a company called Leader in South Carolina. I've got twin Suzuki 115 hp four-stroke outboards on it. It'll do about 40 mph and cruises at 30. It's a real nice and stable boat. I take it to the Bahamas (60 miles east of West Palm Beach) pretty regularly.

Aquilles,

Very nice mutton you shot. I would say close to 18 or more. Might have been a World Record. BTW, after my fish was weighed and the pictures taken, I ate it too. I love mutton snapper. As far as reef fish go, me and my wife pretty much only eat mutton snapper and hogfish.

Abri,

I dive with 3 SA's over here. That guy Mike in Scott Nelson's picture is from SA (Durban). And yes he's holding a prodigal son. I love the names you SA's come up with. I remember the first time one of my SA friends asked me if I had seen that 'Johnny' and I said saw what? He replied you know a one-eyed Johnny, a shark. I said why do you call them that, and he said because that's usually all you see is one big giant eye looking at you as they swim past. I must say SA divers are some of the most hardest core, fearless divers I've ever had the honor of diving with. I was hoping to meet the guys on the SA World Team in Brazil but I guess your country's out of it because their eliminations were canceled due to a horrendous storm.

Scott Turgeon

Last edited:
18's legal and tasty here too!

Anderson offered to show me a one eyed Johnny, but I declined.:yack
I don't know what it is about SA types... rather like the stereotypical Aussie, you know, young, dumb and full of ego. Had the occasion to take a few out here and to a person, they all thought I was nuts. Hey no dis SA's... some of my greatest memories are from diving there back in 78 with Stan Waterman, Peter Gimabal, Al Giddings and crew for a documentary on the Whites. We could only chum up two.

sven

and then again...

I guess that where you choose to dive and learn is where you end up and what you learn there doesn't necessarily work in other places.

Yeah, that's better.

sven

Re: 18's legal and tasty here too!

Originally posted by icarus pacific
Had the occasion to take a few out here and to a person, they all thought I was nuts.

sven

Yeh , we're pretty good judges of character ...
rofl
Scott , thanks for the kind words , but if you keep that kind of talk up , if I ever get to dive with any of you , I will have to make sure to wear my steel mesh undersuit and mini shark pod to live up to expectations :eek:

Ari,

The of the silver fish. The small ones are mackerel and the large jack is the yellow bar jack. All of the other are either grouper or snapper.

long time no see

hi

Hows it goin guys, ive been a way a while and have just caught up to this thread, wow some nice pics especially that 62lb cobia.
I take it that someone by the name of Cuban is breaking the law or something I dont get the full story but he dosent seemed to be liked here, i take it hes 17, well im 17 on september the 6th and id like to say that not all us teenage spearos are like that, Cuban mate your giving not only yourself but also me a bad reputation. I dont want to be know as some grub teenager, the guys on here are top spearo's and if you listen instead of bragging you might learn something.

Anyways South African guys and others who may be interested finally after 4 and a half months of waiting my RA 150 arrived last week i havent tested it yet but cant wait. I wish I could post some photos here but I dont have that equipment to do so.

cheers

ps until then happy and safe spearing

Yep I think the problem with Cuban diver was sorted out, No worries there. Good to hear you have gotten your hands on that RA 1.5!
Let me know how it shoots!

Good luck to you with your new speargun! ! !

What band and shaft config did you get? Twin sixteen 7mm or one 20mm with 6.5mm shaft?

hi

hi guys

I got a 7mm spear with 2 16mm this is a standard rob allen shaft. Im getting another spear in a couple of days this will be fitted with a home made slip tip that my mate makes. The rubbers are around 80 to 85cm long. Probably a bit long but I dont want to go busting triggers again.

Hey IYADIVER if your reading this I saw the picture of your barramundi cod, you said they were rare over there. Here they are still relatively common, my dad and I spear them pretty regularly. Winter is now finished hope the water starts warming up currently 26 degrees celcius.

I have only spearfished twice through the whole winter due to atrocious weather, currently doing some static apnea practice to keep my Co2 tolearnce in check its getting a bit boring though. Anyways good bye.

cheers

Do abs count?

I found some shells in the garage. The one in the middle is the largest ab taken in LA County by a free diver, according to the records, and my only 10"+ snail. The little one is for the divers that never got to eat a Sorensen (White). No pounding required and they tasted like they were dipped in sugar.
Aloha
Bill

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT