• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks guys. I tend to call these needlefish, but I am unsure about their proper name. I think they are Belonidae, Belone - I would not know further specification. I also think that they grow up to 80-100cm. I caught these at Tenerife. They seem to be common world-wide, with slight variations.
They are surface fish. Bottom times are irrelevant and that is where list of advantages stops. Sneaking up on them, spearing relatively thin fish on never still surface within few second window...it is real challenge. As I am showing off now, I cannot tell you how many times I missed. :D

Here in 'Merica' they are called GAR Fish or Needle Fish. I believe they are a type of GAR Fish. Predator fish that like the surface. I've seen them for sale in Fish magazines and they sell them as "Needle Gar Fish".

Aloha Octopus,

We have the same fish here. They are called hound fish or the hawaiian name is Aha. They are great bait to chum with. I noticed that when they are in large numbers, the onos or Wahoo are around too. The first thing our gang does is to dive in an shoot a few to chum with. Because the skin is so slick and shiny, it makes great chum and draws in all types of critters including sharks. But ou have to take the good with the bad.
Here are a few pcitures of what we shoot while chumming the Stick fish or AHa. You can see the end pieces on my belt.

ALoha,Daryl

Attachments

• Kaneohe 2008 51 lb.pscmp.SB.jpg
    Kaneohe 2008 51 lb.pscmp.SB.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 216
  • Ono 2008 029ps.SB.jpg
    Ono 2008 029ps.SB.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 214
  • Ono 2008 016SB.jpg
    Ono 2008 016SB.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
Hi Scott,

Those fish look similar to gar, but they are 100's of millions of years apart, evolutionarily speaking- the needlefish is far more derived than the prehistoric gar. The two fish look similar at a glance, but an indepth analysis would yield strikingly different morphologies - such as interlocking, ganoid scales on the gar; two dorsal fins on the needlefish; a premaxilla (jaw bone); a rete mirabile [organ capable of filling a gas bladder by taking gas out of the blood]; and many many many more.

If you are looking for a relative of the needle fish in Fresh Water, you needn't look very far. Next time you are in Mendota (or one of 1000's of other NA lakes), simply spend a bit of time exploring the surface of the water. You'll likely see a school of very skinny, silvery fish - Brook Silversides - a very close relative to those two buggers lying on the Cressi fins.

silverside.jpg

PS. Great shots (and photos ;)) guys!!!!

Last edited:
I'm new to the site, and obviously missing something!! How can I see the photos, if there is no thumbnail? Like on many of Murats posts. Thanxs for any help!

I'm new to the site, and obviously missing something!! How can I see the photos, if there is no thumbnail? Like on many of Murats posts. Thanxs for any help!

where you can't see them it must be because they've been removed by the poster, or because they were uploaded from an URL that's not working any more.
:)

Yes Murat removed them, i wanted to see the dentex pics but alas they are gone.

Here's a picture of a dusky grouper, caught on sunday 16th March 08, weight 6 kilo 750g depth 11m,

Attachments

• orfoz 001.jpg
    orfoz 001.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 237
Reactions: strangelove
Very nice! Unfortunately the weather refuses to stabalize long enough here to let the sea calm down enough to go fishing. 2 weeks now without getting in the water and the forecast does not look good for the next 5 to 6 days.

Happy Hunting!!

Nice Fish u have jace.
Hopefully i can post some soon, Well aslong as i can catch one that is LOL

Jace- Good Job! What is that fish in the 7th photo? Looks like a type of carp.

I caught it off sydney in australia.
Its called a black drummer, very good angling fish for rock fishermen and also great for cave hunting. They grow around 9 or 10 kilos and are an awesome feed.

They are one of the best eating fish through winter in my opinion.

Btw i caught that one in a comp, it went 4.1kilo and got me some good points.

Down in Florida about to take the FIT course and we came down a little bit early to do some spearfishing on the Gulf Side- Here's some Pics from Tampa Bay.

Attachments

• DSCN0492.jpg
    DSCN0492.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 199
  • PIC_0332.jpg
    PIC_0332.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 224
  • PIC_0338.jpg
    PIC_0338.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 204
  • PIC_0348.jpg
    PIC_0348.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 203
  • PIC_0342.jpg
    PIC_0342.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 203
Scott, what kind of crab is that in the first photo? Tasty? Protected?

Jace, great shots! Those lobsters look like plastic toys - very strange compared to what I've seen.

Damn Jace are black drummers that good to eat?

I went out last weekend and literaly saw hundreds of them between 2-8kg...
I know what to do next time LOL

I tought the same about those lobsters.

Scott, what kind of crab is that in the first photo? Tasty? Protected?

Jace, great shots! Those lobsters look like plastic toys - very strange compared to what I've seen.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT