• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing/clarity report 2011

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I haven't been there in years, but you could try it and if it doesn't work go across the street to beaver lake and give that a shot. I remember shooting some nice sized crappie in there. The gem of the bunch in that are is Moose Lake. It's not as easy to get on as it was in the past, but that just means less boat traffic.

Jon

Clarity in the Bahamas looks good. Plenty of fish, too.

Connor says "suck it" (I'm paraphrasing). And yes, I'm sitting in the cabin of the boat....picked up the WIFI on Bimini.

Okay, back off the grid......

Ted........ I hate you.

Honda.......... Pine lake is awesome! Stay to the East side and you will find a lot of nice Crappies!!! It's really clear too!

Lake: Monona

Water Temp: 71

Vis: Sucked Arse! (3ft on surface - 6 to 10' on the bottom in 12-15' of water)

I wish we had good vis in our lakes. I still saw a lot of fish. There are a TON of Perch out right now. I shot 4, my biggest was 11". I shot 1 Bluegill 9.75" (12 7/8oz). A few Black Crappies, my biggest 12.5" (1lb 1oz) and I saw a lot of White Bass today - I don't usually see them so, I shot one 14.5" (1lb 6oz)

Not sure if I will go back to that lake - the vis just sucks. I'll be in search of clearer lakes.:martial

Oh, Saw lots of Carp, but didn't shoot any.

Attachments

• DSCF2553.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 217
  • DSCF2561.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 207
  • DSCN4960.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN4963.JPG
    213.9 KB · Views: 206
Took my 9yr old Daughter Lilee out Spearfishing for the first time yesterday. We went to Crystal Lake and she shot her first fish. 1 shot - 1 kill. She nailed it in the Gills. She was ecstatic!! The fish is a Pumkinseed. Not very big, but she's proud of it.

Attachments

• DSCN4980.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 206
Way to go! We need more woman in the sport. There is nothing like that proud daddy feeling you get on a childs first, especially one as substantial as this.

Is that Crystal lake in Marquette county?? I live close to that one and can't wait to try it, it is supposed to have really good vis.

I just got back from a week of camping/diving with my kids in Crystal Lake- Vilas County. Since spearing is completely illegal up there, we just looked at fish and tried to stay warm. The water is really cool up there this summer since we've had suck a cold and rainy spring. Max water temp, at the surface, was 77F and the thermocline was at 10'. Last year at this time the thermocline was at 20'.

My daughter did get a chance to try out her new-to-me Picasso wetsuit that I picked up off of Ebay a year ago. It's still too large, but getting closer. Either way, I just couldn't pass up a camo Picasso kid's wetsuit when I saw it. :inlove

They have an interesting experiment going on in the lake to try and raise the water temps in order to kill off the invasive rainbow smelt in the lake. It uses something called "GELI", and it keeps bringing up the cold bottom water to the surface so the sun can warm it. By the end of the summer the whole lake should be so warm the the smelt will die off and everything native will survive. I thought that this might be the reason the lake was so cold, but I took the kids snorkeling over to Firefly lake and found the same temps and the same thermocline depth.

For more information on the project you can look here: Crystal Lake Mixing Project

Jon

Attachments

• camping 2011 083.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 205
  • camping 2011 065.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 210
Is that Crystal lake in Marquette county?? I live close to that one and can't wait to try it, it is supposed to have really good vis.

Chris - it is. The Vis right now actually...... Sucks. It's best in May/Early June. In the Shallows the vis was about 8ft. In the deeper water where the GOOD fish are- it's about 4ft.

But love that lake. I'm about 30 mins south of there.

JON - she should be able to fit in that suit till she's about 12! lol. It's hard to find kids suits. More pics?

Cool report, Zman. That lake mixing stuff is "sexy science". It makes for good newspaper articles. Not like all that boring, old agricultural run-off "stuff". By the way, has anyone seen Mendota lately? If you are low on Pea Soup, I recommend making a trip.

Scott, you're an idiot, but your girls are cool. What's it like creating things that are greater than the sum of its parts? Hahaha - just kidding, of course

(I'm not kidding)

Scott, I have a couple of shorty wetsuits that fit her, but finding a full length suit, with a hood, that fits is pretty slim pickings. I'll post more photos tomorrow. I just got home a little while ago.

Ted, if anyone should know about making something FAR greater than them it would be you!rofl It's a good thing you upgraded your genetics you got married. Of course, I know that I upgraded mine before I reproduced, so we're all in the same boat. :blackeye

We have another trip planned for the same area the end of the summer so I'll get to see if that lake ever warms up.

Jon

I'm just wondering, since I use a pole spear is it better to have lower vis or is it always best to have good vis. Just thinking because my range is limited with a pole spear.

Anything More than 5ft is good. I suppose Pole spearing in 80' vis would be more difficult. But It can and does get done. I know many people who solely use a pole spear or Hawaiian Sling. I like using a pole spear, if you miss - you can just shoot again. On one breath.

Ok thanks. Yeah that is one thing that I also like about using them. That and the challenge.

Went to Kenosha with Trevor, there were fish everywhere. Vis was about 10 ft but lots of seaweed floating around. I got 4 Trevor got 3, waves wore us out real quick. 10-15ft of water, max temp 59 deg.

Reactions: Whopperhead
Just got back from a couple hours on Crystal Lake Marquette County.

Vis was about 5', and there was a few fish. Two buddies and me got 4 fish, the bigger ones were at about 10-15 ft.
temp unknown, didn't seem too cold don't have a wetsuit.

hello all long time no talk. I have been out on the big lake the past week with friends and we have been getting our limits of nice perch ranging from 13 to 15 and a half water temp yesterday was 54 and the fish are ther but not as big only 13s and not as many as last week but still good found some fish on the south pier that have been speared and pushed under rocks so keep an eye out if you guys go and if you need a water clarity report for the big lake just let me know I live 5 min from the lake. I have many pics will post them when I get them off my phone

I took my kids out to Devil's Lake today. The water was stirred up, but I'd still say we had a good 10' of vis away from the beach. The water was 84F near shore and dropped down to 81F away from the beach. We found a mask, snorkel, and two pairs of swimming goggles.

Here are some photos from today:

Jon

Attachments

• devil's lake diving 051.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 202
  • devil's lake diving 091.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 196
  • devil's lake diving 092.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 210
  • devil's lake diving 083.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 203
  • devil's lake diving 068.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 226
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…