• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static Challenge

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
hi

Damn it look like your catching up . Ive been to damn lazy to try any more but if you to close I will have to pull my finger out eh :D

cheers

This thread is inspiring

I found many good tips on this thread and by focusing on counting my contraction and my body instead of time and length I have broken psycological barriers!

In static I have gone from 5'23'' to 6'03'' in some time just because I'm now able to take my performances to ~95% instead of ~85%. I don't care about time I only count my contractions and listen to my body!!

In dynamic I have overpassed my old pb of 100m, for 3 days ago I did 111m and I felt very good when I surfaced after managed 14 contractions starting @ 65m.

Keep this thread going I think it have helped many entusiastic divers!

Peter Ols
Linköping
SWEDEN
www.nordicapnea.com

I wish some where warmer I went for a snorkel today and it was very cold, I didn't last long without the wetsuit and it was still cold with it on, a nice day but. I'm down south at the moment so it might be a bit colder here. Time for a new wettty I think!

hi

Mate Tasmania has got to be freezing ie near 0, I swam in melbourne last year and almost died from the cold.

cheers

Last year (when I started with this freediving silliness :duh ), I worked up to a best wet of 3:47 and dry of 4:45. Not even remotely close to a samba, ever. After a 6 month hiatus from diving & statics, I'm back taking Kirk's course again and this time I've done a wet 4:20... but this time I was starting to feel like I was getting close to samba. Kirk thought I was getting a bit twitchy in the lip. I haven't really pushed it dry yet again, but I'm just working up to it.

hi

Ivan as promissed i have a new PB now it is 5:38 (before 5:25)
It is not what i expected but it will do. I think I have come far enough with my static so i will stop here (I GIVE UP :().

Zipy

Ah I hate it that I missed this fun thread until now... Way to go Eric Young for starting it... lots of fun.

Congrats to all the PBs and attempts everybody has made.

Until a few weeks ago I had done a total of maybe 16 statics with only six in over a year. Lots of dry statics since that does not require a pool or a buddy. ;) Had a PB of 6min.

Well if anybody is still watching this thread I hope this makes you laugh! Water temperature was 6 degrees in my homemade pool and 6 degrees air temperature. The last shot I was joking with my expression.

However, I must say that a few days ago I have set a wet PB of 6:16 under the same conditions except with 10mm of wetsuit.:duh

Attachments

• pool-group.jpg
    pool-group.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 228
hi

Nice pics

Thats pretty insane that you did 6:16 wet static in 6 degree water !!!!!! well done

cheers

Reactions: stevevidar
I suggest we extend the "Static Challenge" to include water temperature. ;)

So under the new AIDA rules you would get 12 points per minute of static and we add 0.5 point for every degree of water temperature below 28 degrees celcius.

Any takers? I dare ya!

So currently I would be at 75 points for minutes plus 11 points for water temperature.

Total=86 points

:D

Reactions: stevevidar
Ha ha, nice pics Tyler! However about the temperature component of the challenge you'ld have to account for thickness of the wetsuits. Perhaps an extra 0.3 points per 3mm less thickness and a full 1.0 point/min extra if done witn no suit? Now that would be a challenge!

Adrian

Ha yes! My mistake... of course we need to consider that. Well I think the no suit deserves 0 points per min and starting at 1mm you get -4 points/min (penalty points) and for every mm after that 1/4 point less. So where suit thickness=v and v > 0:

-(4 + 1/4v) = temp points/min. ;)

As well the temperature should be per minute as well. So lets say 0.25 per degree below 31 degrees per min.

So under the combination of all these point thingys, and if I recalculate it with the 10mm suit:

75 points for 6:16min
-(4 + 1/4 x 10) = -26/4 points/min for 10mm penalty = -40.25
31 - 6 = 25; 25 x 0.25 = 25/4 points/min = 39.25

Giving me a grand total of 74points! :head

Any takers?

PS. if you have the info I can run the calculations for you :t

Ok after taking 3 days off to recooperate, I couldn't wait to push forward. New results are in:

6:25 in 7 degrees celcius with 5mm.

77 points for 6:25min
-(4 + 1/4 x 5) = -5 1/4 points/min for 10mm penalty = -33
31 - 7 = 24; 24 x 0.25 = 6 points/min = 37.5

grand total: 81.5

Well, you guys have been a bit vague with the formulas; where did the 31 - 7 come from? Wasn't it (28-7)*0.5?

I did a 3'00" hang at 30m in 6C with no suit. Do the math and find out my points!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

My fault sorry! I had not incorporated the idea of wet suits in the original. So I adjusted the base temperature to 31 for no suit, being a temperature that is fairly close to the sensation of room temperature with no suit.

Now you are trying to complicate things with depth involved! :t Ok lets say 0.5 points per depth. Temperature would have to be an estimate of temperature at that depth.

So looks like you would get: (edit: don't know how I didn't see the no suit 6degrees the first time)

36 points for min
15 points for depth
suit thickness = 0 so no penalty points
6 degrees = 6.25 points/min = 18.75 points

So 69.75 points total!

;)

Last edited:
Originally posted by efattah

I did a 3'00" hang at 30m in 6C with no suit. Do the math and find out my points!

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi

Eric that is fuc^ing crazy man 3mins at 30m in 6C water with no suit. How long can you go in warm tropical water of 30C at 30m ??? :cool:

cheers

I just had to share this with you guys, but today i made a new PB dry statics of 7:00 min.
Preps where
- 1st no timekeeping
- 2nd 3:30 min
- 3rd 5:00 min
- 4th 7:00 min.

Very relaxed and slow breathups inbetween focusing on keeping them fluent and my hartrate under 65 bpm. Increasing the depth while keeping the ritme to the end and then 2 or 3 packs, go.
Felt remarcable similar to a 5-6 minute attempt, only the last 30 seconds for the first time i felt something that looked a bit like some soft sort of contractions, but was to concentrated to realy judge them. (i never have contractions).

Thanks to all you guys for all the great tips and advices on this board which made this possible for me. They realy helped !!!

Next goal is to repeat this wet. Generaly my wet times are not too far of from my dry times so fingers crossed......

GlennV
www.glenn-venghaus.nl

p.s. You can see the cardiogram of this attempt in he news secion of my personal website.

Well Glenn nice to hear that you did 7 min......and that you like to share it with us.

OK, then I reveal my last PB of somewhat more then a week ago. I was testing my new Polar S610i and wanted to do a max series to see what my graph looks like.....I really drifted off on the sounds surrounding me and it ended in 7:10. OK on the dry.....and I also have to wait what it does 'wet', but we will see in Belgium.

Greetz Pim

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT