• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static Challenge

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Apnea is entertaining

I had an extremely boring Saturday class the other day, and so I made it interesting with a little static. It wasn't exactly the ideal conditions, but I made my modest goal of 1:00 with contractions.

I've decided to set a pb goal of 4:00 by April. Hope I make it.:)

hi

Aquiles you stay away from that alcohol :naughty . BTW if you did push in statics you could probably equal Andrsns pb of 6:15, believe me statics are hell easier than deep diving, and your hunting at 30m well your on your way to 7mins already. I havent done any statics in a week now need some motivation to try tommorow.

cheers

I've improved my PB's a little in the last week, I can consistantly do a 3min wet static and a 1min dry. I think I'll start to push myself a lot more soon, I'm really stopping much earlier than I know I need to.

hi

Mate I push it 100% of the time even when doing a 30sec static :D

cheers

Hi guys im back

hi

Guess what today was the best static day of my life. I did a new pb of 6:05. Tell you all the tech info first

did the usual 6 statics

1st 30sec breathe up 4:00static
2nd 30sec breathe up 4:40static
3rd 1min breathe up 5:00static
4th 1min breathe up 5:15static
5th 2min breathe up 5:22static (this static sucked)
6th 2min breathe up 6:05static

On the last one contractions started at 4mins and I remember holding about 20 of them I always loose count at the end. When I stopped I jumped up and was so excited I still havent deleated the 6:05 number on my watch I take a glance at it every now and then. No one is home so I couldnt celebrate with anyone so I logged onto here. Sorry if Im to excited but this is special for me. Im now 25secs away from my 2003 dry static goal. Its time to work on wet statics.

cheers

Congrats Ivan !

6:05 is really good, specially for how long you've been doing it. I'm personally stuck around the 6 minute mark(wet), although I haven't trained in a while.

What were your rests between statics ?
I'm guessing from what you wrote down you had a longer rest then what you wrote down for a "breathe up".

A 4 minute static for your first warm up is very impressive too. Good job, keep it up :)

Cheers,
Wal

Yeah, that's fantastic ivan....keep it up.
I think 6 minutes is the number that puts you "over the edge" in statics. 15 years ago, 5 minutes was considered incredible....now, 5 minutes is one of the warm ups!
Cheers,
Erik Y.

Good job Ivan, you just keep on training hard, x box and all. :D

No seriously, congrats.:) You may need to set a new 2003 goal soon at that rate.

-Batray
still working to get to 4 mins:)

Congrats Ivan!

Let's see if we can predict when you will hit 7 minutes.

In my case:
- broke 4 minutes in 1993
- broke 5 minutes in Sept 1998
- broke 6 minutes in March 2000
- broke 7 minutes in Feb 2001
- broke 8 minutes never (at least not yet)

So, according to this pattern, it should be 11 months until you reach 7 minutes. So if you really train hard, you could hit 7 min before the end of the year and blow away your 'optimistic' goal for 2003.

Just like you, when I first broke 7min I stared at the watch for days, not believing the number.

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi

Wow thanks guys for the response you have made this an even better day for me, you guys are my only connection to freediving. My mates and family couldnt give a stuff even if someone could do 9mins they wouldnt care. You guys have motivated me even more to push it way harder though I like to leave a couple of days between static attempts so I wont try statics for a while yet.

The weird thing is im probably in the worst shape of my life in terms of being fit, for the last 4months I havent done anything that requires energy like running and yet I have been gettin pb apneas fairly regularly what gives :hmm

Wal I dont time rests for example the first static I hyperventilated for 30sec did the static then I just lay down until I get my breath back and usually I can tell Im ready when my heartrate gets back to just below 60bpm but an estimate is between 2-4mins rest then I would do my hyperventilation after that. Is rest time between statics important :hmm .

The one thing I promised myself lately is that if I do a pb inhale static I should go for a pb exhale static straight after, I totally forgot to try a exhale static after cos I was to excited. Ive always found that after a max inhale static if I hyperventilate for 2mins then do an exhale static it will result in a pb 90% of the time.

BTW I Rarely ever do exhale statics they hurt to much :duh
I now have to work out a way to achieve the Ivan rule comparing statics to depth of 1min equals 5m yep Im the worst deep diver in the world :(

cheers

hi

Eric I missed your response it must have been while I was typing. This is to good to be true I have even got a congrats from a World record holder. One thing though Eric myself being totally unfit do you think that I will keep improving whilst being unfit or am I going to hit a wall where I will have to start Jogging or something. Im going to keep doing the same rountine ive been doing until I hit a wall :D

cheers

hi

One thing I forgot. Eric I was reading an article where some guy had interviewed you, you said that your most valuable possesion was your Diving log the thing where you write down about your static training sessions etc. I was just wondering what things you write in there. Im thinking of doing them myself starting from today. I guess you write in things like all your breathe up times, static times and all the basic stuff that you do in apnea how you felt etc. Are there any other things that you think are important to write down in these logs. Thanks

cheers

Hey good stuff Andrew!! Sorry, missed this post bud... but that's insane!! Think how many macks you could nail doing a 6 min static :D

hi

Ha nice one loopy but I would rather nail that many Jobfish :D .

BTW My dry statics dont transfer at all to hunting times most of my dive times in the ocean are between 30sec and 1min yep Im a crappy deep diver. I guess learning how to dive deep takes a hella of lot longer to learn them to simply sit there and hold your breath :(

cheers

Nah don't stress mate, when you're spearing, most people are the same... the really deep guys still have to breathe up before a big dive. But hey, at least you're good at one thing, I'm crap at both :D

hi

Youve only been doing it a couple of weeks dude :duh . But I think deep diving for most is a lot harder than statics.

cheers

I remember my first attempt at a freedive.....it was in Cozumel Mexico, on a day off from scubadiving. I managed about 3 metres and 15 seconds. MOST of us probably experience the same sort of numbers, give or take.
If anyone had told me then that I would be doing 50+ metre dives and holding my breath longer than 6 minutes ( I think the world record at the time was Umberto's 5.45 or something), I would have asked for a sample of the narcotic they were using!
Ivan, I have had similar experience with the ability to do huge statics while relatively out of shape due to injuries, etc. I don't think there's too much of a correlation really. Also,once you've hit a number, you can easily hit it again with a little training. It reminds me of weight training and mass increase: once you've hit certain numbers, the body "remembers", or somehow has adapted permanently in a way that allows those numbers to come back with a little practice. Maybe Gerard can elaborate on that a bit...
Cheers,
Erik Y.

hi

Erik that is too true although I cant remember my first freedive I have been spearfishing for a while now so its not like im a beginner or newbie to deep diving its just that I run out of air and suck, I honestly dont think I have the lung capacity to equalise at depth I mean ive only got 4 odd Litres in my lungs. I havent even made it to 30m yet and to be honest with you I struggle to make 20m.

I reckon that I will make a 7min dry static before I can dive to 30m and I could put money on that. Statics are just so easy and like you said I bet when I try do a static session again in the next couple of days that I will do 6mins again if not very close to it. My static rountine the one I described back a couple of posts is simple to get a bigger static I just increase the number right from the start ie I did 4mins first go and finished with 6:05, my next little goal is to make 4:15 first go then finish with a pb of 6:15. This is probably the wrong way to go around it but its working for me.

Lastly Erik how did you go from a 3m diver to a 50m diver was it learning from diving with guys like fattah and Laminar in canada. Im totally self taught and the little things that I know about diving are from what you guys tell me I have never personally seen a diver in real life go past 75ft so Im not exactly in the right environment ie World record holders diving with me :D

cheers

Hey Andrew, I've been diving for about 15 years... :) But yeah, I'd class most of that as snorkelling (spearing for a bit over 10)

hi

Loopy your just learning how to equalise properly now :duh . Joking Whats the biggest fish you have speared :cool:

cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT