• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

STATIC - what are you thinking about down there?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What do you think about during a static?

• I play brain games

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I sing songs to myself

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I think my way around my body

Votes: 14 14.9%
  • I listen to ambient pool noise

Votes: 19 20.2%
  • Boring stuff - what am I gonna have for dinner?

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • none of your business.. I fantasise

Votes: 13 13.8%
  • God this is hard! When can I breathe again?

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • NOTHING.....my mind blacks out but hopefully I don't

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters

samdive

Mermaid, Musician and Marketer
Nov 12, 2002
What do you think about while you are doing a static?

I have a friend who sings himself songs (1000 green bottles...)

I try repetitive brain puzzles (think of an animal beginning with each letter of the alphabet)

Another mate has imaginary rows with her boyfriend

And lots of you think of nothing....

I'm intrigued.....

If im on the bottom of a pool or whatever i imagine Clangers liveing on the bottom of the pool. Ive heard them once or twice as well. Strange i know but it makes it interesting

Reactions: thud
I go back and forth between a mantra sometimes, and visualisation of the third eye, among other things.
Erik Y.

Reactions: Ben Gowland
Down

The first part of my static I always imagine my self going down in the blue ocean, I feel the water around my body like if I was going down.
When the hard part comes, I visualize numbers and countdown in reversal.
And when the contractions wants to appear I concentrate in my belly muscles to keep it smooth, and count it until my brain says "It's enough"

Re: Down

Originally posted by fpernett
The first part of my static I always imagine my self going down in the blue ocean, I feel the water around my body like if I was going down.
I do the same just i do this before i hold my breath. When i akcualy start my apnea i let my thoughts run free (randomly)
Sometimes it is very interesting how many stupid thoughts you can have when you have nothing to do but wait. :duh

jure

hi

I think of how I make a dive to stalk my favourite fish, even the scenery Of my favourite Bommie.

cheers

I just sink into silence and drift, but am brought back to reality by contractions. A couple of times though, I relaxed so much that I totally forgot to hold onto my breath! Maybe I was falling asleep.

Adrian

Originally posted by Adrian
I relaxed so much that I totally forgot to hold onto my breath! Maybe I was falling asleep.

Adrian

When I had my best time, I think I fall sleep in the first part, I think that relaxation is ideal

My mind thinks about all kinds of things when I do statics. I try to empty it, but I keep having various thoughts float on through, and it's not the voices.;)

In contrast, my buddy, Ted, can just let his mind go blank. His breath hold is a good 20 seconds longer than mine, in static anyhow, and I am wondering if that might be the difference.

I read somewhere that the act of thinking can consume up to 10% more 02 during statics, as compared to not thinking. Has anyone else read this before?

Reactions: Ben Gowland
I've been counting heart beats for years. The theory is, like counting sheep to get relaxed for sleep. The problem is, you lose count and speed up when you try to figure out where you are (or peek at the clock). Matt told me that some very good statics have been done using the method Pete suggested;
>...girls...girls....girls.....
It may have some merit. About now, I'm willing to try anything for another 10-15 seconds.
Aloha
Bill

Last edited:
Lynn, the psychologist (?) who was experimenting on us in Hawaii at the world cup said the best thing as far as she could tell would be to go blank. any kind of thought process would speed up the metabolism. I find it very hard to go blank, my mind wanders all over the place, but on the rare occasion it does shut up for a few minutes, I get my best statics.

Other good ones are when I have a complicated set of thoughts to go through. Another idea is to run a journey through my brain, like the drive or walk home from the pool, only thing is as the hold gets longer I drive/walk faster until by the time I surface the cop car is behind me all lights flashing.... or is that a samba?!

this reminds me, I havent done static for ages... must practice!
: )

I used to thin I was an actor. I still remember a lot of monologs and know about how long it takes to recite them. So recite them in my head and try to improve by going for longer and longer soliloquies. When I can recite all of Hamlet I will have reached my goal.

My friend Steph has a special technique for statics. She hyperventilates for a looooong time, then, when she packs to the max, she blacks out from the pressure of packing (this is part of the plan). However, unlike most divers, when she blacks out from packing, she does not lose her air -- the air stays in her lungs.

She wakes up at around the 5-minute mark and then struggles for the remaining time (around 6min). This would work in an AIDA competition, because announcing 6 minutes you get your first signal at 5min, so she would 'wake up' just in time for her first signal.

Brett LeMaster and I had a joke at the Nice 2000 world cup competition; we dreaded static so much we wished that you could just 'wake me up when it's over!'

Eric Fattah
BC, Canada

hi,

I don't know how you do think about nothing, just like that....

I think about something pleasant. In fact, just dreaming.

aude

All i think is black black black. like if your looking at your closed eyelids and focus at darckness!!!!!!!!! at the same time i TRY to think down my heart rate HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMM

Joe

Most of my statics are dry because I don't generally have a buddy.

What I have found very effective is to read for the first few minutes of the static.

This seems to really relax me and I don't feel like I am doing anything different than lying down and reading.

When I notice some discomfort starting, I stop reading and start concentrating on how my body is feeling, counting my heart beats and focusing on ignoring the contractions.

I think that because I only have to concentrate on the static for a couple of minutes after the reading, I can focus that much harder when I have to, which allows me to extend the duration.

I wonder if I'll be allowed to bring a magazine to the pool:)

Ash

Originally posted by samdive
Lynn, the psychologist (?) who was experimenting on us in Hawaii at the world cup said the best thing as far as she could tell would be to go blank. any kind of thought process would speed up the metabolism.

I've found this to be the case personally. If I think about anything specific, it pulls me out of total relaxation and I end up with a shorter time. The closest thing I allow myself to a thought is just to encourage in myself a non-verbal feeling of benevolence, being safe, etc.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT