• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static with no warm-up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sorry if my comment felt offending. In fact it was rather just a friendly advice how to properly post and how to get answers one expects. The title of the thread is principal for people to decide opening it - the DB forum is highly frequented, and people usually select carefully what threads they open and what not. So if a freediver wants to discuss progress in his dynamic FRC training, it is really not a good choice selecting a thread about static apnea for posting the questions.

This is not a complaint, this is an advice. People interested about statics and no-warm-up read this thread, so first of all many of them may have no interest in discussing dynamics, but more importantly the bigger part of the thread visitors will not feel comfortable answering an off-topic question, since it is actually violating the policies of the forum.

So it is really much better to find a suitable thread, or launching a new one with well matching title - if the title is properly selected, it will attract those people who can and want to contribute, and it is much more likely you get the right answers.

Another advantage is for the purpose of the archive - there are many more passive visitors than those who post. But it makes it hard to find information when it is in a thread with an unrelated title. Chosing the right subforum, and the right title will help others profiting from the information already discussed.

Last edited:
Reactions: maui400
Hey guys,

I've scanne thruogh this thread and am a little overwhelmed by the info. I'm looking to change things up a bit to increase my static.

Does someone have a routine they've used to garner decent results?

I currently do 1 co2 and one o2 table a week. My warmup is a 2min then 3 min hold. I don't pack (don't know how).

My max thus far is 6:30. I'd like to get an extra minute on there.

I'm a beginner.

Thanks so much

Reactions: Kars
Hey guys,

I've scanne thruogh this thread and am a little overwhelmed by the info. I'm looking to change things up a bit to increase my static.

Does someone have a routine they've used to garner decent results?

I currently do 1 co2 and one o2 table a week. My warmup is a 2min then 3 min hold. I don't pack (don't know how).

My max thus far is 6:30. I'd like to get an extra minute on there.

I'm a beginner.

Thanks so much

Yes, a beginner with a 118M max dyn... :) but seriously tanc I think you would be able to add some time with packing (not hard to learn), and add a little bit of exhale training+careful diet to boost your hemo/red blood cell count, since I think you can already hold to samba without hyperventilating, correct? O2 is your limiting factor so anything you can do to build O2 stores would give you more time. I hate statics and don't train them but my two cents.

Yes, a beginner with a 118M max dyn... :) but seriously tanc I think you would be able to add some time with packing (not hard to learn), and add a little bit of exhale training+careful diet to boost your hemo/red blood cell count, since I think you can already hold to samba without hyperventilating, correct? O2 is your limiting factor so anything you can do to build O2 stores would give you more time. I hate statics and don't train them but my two cents.

I'm going to start doing some exhale training this week. Just got wind of them. In regard to diet, this is a new territory for me.

Any recommendations?

And yes, very much the beginner. Big lungs and bullheadedness does not make an experienced freediver!

I'm going to start doing some exhale training this week. Just got wind of them. In regard to diet, this is a new territory for me.

Any recommendations?

And yes, very much the beginner. Big lungs and bullheadedness does not make an experienced freediver!

There is a thread somewhere near the top of one of these forums regarding hemocrit levels/testing. Eric Fattah had some good recommendations for supplementation, primarily iron since a surprising number of high level divers were actually anemic. I have always tried to work exhale training into my routines but when I upped frequency and intensity all I could think about eating was steak. Been taking iron though and seeing results in training and the steak craving went away. Besides iron just eat plenty of healthy fruits and veggies, etc, maybe a sports multivitamin. I take l-glutamine and l-argine and creatine ethyl ester when training heavy but that is mostly individual preference and I tend to do a lot of crosstraining, probably too much.

Hi frogs... this is amazing thread i found... Im just wanna be freedivier but I like to prolong my times. I like the idea of being sort of natural and leaving oldschool DR to do the trick... seems like dry static will not kick it seriously...

This are my numbers... I don't train on regular basis just as I have time... sometimes i do co2 sometimes just max... don't do any warm ups... i do like just push ups and this sort of keping beer belly under control sometimes so Im 175cm, 72kg oscilating 68-75 over the year (im chef so it's possible)
Morning HR in bed with 98-99 saturation 48-55... in calm sitting anytime during day 65-72.
PB 4:50 ( i cannot do long dry without hyper) my contractions do kick early 1minute-1:30, with HV 2:30.
My contractions are quiet dramatic they are very difficult and even on 85 saturation I already think I'm dying :D. I do get lactic burns quiet instantly with first contraction. In the later stages where I do give up, strong urge to pee (reaction of blader) comes... I havent been deeper than 12m and I do keep my dives below minute... I don't have buddy I don't wanna die :D... so it's more snorchling... wanna get deeper. I did become friend with instructor and i'm organizing free-diving course here in Scotland... So back to my numbers... What do you think guys... Im big fan of this no prep holds and more in the water... Oh 12m below, probably due to the presure i feel I can stay like forever... 30 ceconds moving down and up doesn't gives me contractions... walking apnea kiks like 20 30 seconds...and 1:30 I feel like i can't do any more...

From your comments I glean that you want some direction in what and how to train?

I think the FRC dive style will suit your needs. Also you'll need to work on general flexibility, and especially chest and diaphragm control and flexibility. Equalisation is also a skill that really is needed when you'll reach closer to reserve volume depths.
Also in the pool, train the lactic acid phase.

And please your instructor friend with some nice food:)

From your comments I glean that you want some direction in what and how to train?

I think the FRC dive style will suit your needs. Also you'll need to work on general flexibility, and especially chest and diaphragm control and flexibility. Equalisation is also a skill that really is needed when you'll reach closer to reserve volume depths.
Also in the pool, train the lactic acid phase.

And please your instructor friend with some nice food:)
You are right :D Im lookin for advice...
Thanks mate, would you mind to be more specific with the lactic acid phase? Also does it mean that FRC above the surface is always hard because there is no DR workin roperly-at all?

Thank you

Above water there is DR, though its much lighter and you don't have the soothing water.

The lactic acid phase begins when your body transitions from aerobe to anaerobe. In my current believe it's affected by the easiness the blood can reach your muscles from the veins. Endurance sports increase the blood bandwidth. More muscle mass decreases bandwidth. A low bloodflow helps to induce a quick transition to anaerobe. When you start to feel the burn and the lactic acid is building up, the anaerobe phase is well under way.
For me the anaerobe phase starts with the first contraction. When I do exhale or frc dives I wait for that, and then start swimming, while I try to keep the blood flow low.

Maybe you can clarify your question further, I feel like I'm trying to hit unseen targets in a jungle.

you actually replied-answered... so you saying that in the water due the DR induced by water, contractions are softer? Exactly the same.. first contraction (quiet early to what people here say) and burn starts even not movin... just contractions itself are strong and after 20 of them doing dry emty lungs is pure hell and I give up 1:30...

while I try to keep the blood flow low...how you do that?

main thing for me is how to not stop them, but soothe them up a bit...

Last edited:
Improve diaphragm control, diaphragm flexibility and general condition. Don't resist contraction, move your diaphragm a bit along, then release after each contraction.

I control my blood-flow a bit with my mind, but also with the way I'm swimming.

I've been reading this interesting and (very) long thread and was wondering if there's some new conclusion about the correlation between heavy static training (with lots of packing + long contractions periods) and increase in residual volume, as well as lung squeeze occurence.

In other words, is intensive static training compatible with very deep training (during the same period of time)?

Reactions: Kars
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT