• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static with no warm-up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Really jealous there on how late you get your contractions!

I'm flying to Auckland (the comp city) for a course (work related), so hoping to join in a static session. There's heaps of free time for dry work in the hotel.

Bet that gives you heaps of confidence, nice times there, due to the lack of training I always worry about going backwards with statics.I get all squirmy and move around ,so have to have someone talking me into staying down, makes a huge difference. generally squeeze an extra 20-30 seconds out of me.

I was worried about going backwards with statics due to lack of training. It does sometimes take a few weeks to get back to max times, but there is surprisingly little loss of performance.

I had a hard job trying out some no warm-up dry static practice.
Mostly contractions as early as 40 seconds....:head

Really wasn't brave enough to try that with a 3:30 announcement
Without more work. I did do a very light warm-up , 2 super easy breathholds
then my max effort for the main comp dive.

I was really impressed with making 4:17. As my warm-ups generally have to be really forced and hard to get my mind stronger for the main dive.
Didn't expect to get that high without that. So I've already had a good result
then without a super hard warm-up., but not yet a true no-warm-up.
:)

Last edited:
Hi to all. I have been working on no-warmup holds since the middle of April, 2007. Initially the holds were very uncomfortable. My personal best at the time was a very very difficult 6:30, and then only once at the end of a training table. During the time I have been doing this, my previous personal best of 6:30 (after 7 warmup holds) has been exceeded many times, with a new personal best of 6:52 and a best no-warmup hold of 6:35. Comfort level has improved drastically and as a side benefit, my contractions have been coming later and later. This morning I did a no-contraction hold of 6:00 on the first hold of the day with no hypoxic symptoms. I am hoping that this track will eventually leverage my holds past the 7:00 mark. For those of you just starting this training method, I know it will be very uncomfortable at first, but as your breathe up matures and with continued effort, I think you can achieve comfort levels and hold times that you only dreamed of previously. In previous posts, I have outlined what I believe are the benefits of ditching warmup holds. Today I am adding to this list "delayed contractions". I am not sure how far this will ultimately take me, but for now, I am learning alot. Good luck to all.

Walt

Hi to all. I have been working on no-warmup holds since the middle of April, 2007. Initially the holds were very uncomfortable. My personal best at the time was a very very difficult 6:30, and then only once at the end of a training table. During the time I have been doing this, my previous personal best of 6:30 (after 7 warmup holds) has been exceeded many times, with a new personal best of 6:52 and a best no-warmup hold of 6:35. Comfort level has improved drastically and as a side benefit, my contractions have been coming later and later. This morning I did a no-contraction hold of 6:00 on the first hold of the day with no hypoxic symptoms. I am hoping that this track will eventually leverage my holds past the 7:00 mark. For those of you just starting this training method, I know it will be very uncomfortable at first, but as your breathe up matures and with continued effort, I think you can achieve comfort levels and hold times that you only dreamed of previously. In previous posts, I have outlined what I believe are the benefits of ditching warmup holds. Today I am adding to this list "delayed contractions". I am not sure how far this will ultimately take me, but for now, I am learning alot. Good luck to all.

Walt

hi walt! great to hear that this method work so well...!
what is your normal breath up for your "no warm-up" statics?
andi

Regarding breathe ups. I think that mostly you have to experiment to see what works for you. And it is also dependent on what kind of feeling you like at the beginning of a hold. Right now I am doing 40 minutes of in 2 seconds, hold 4 seconds, out 2 seconds, no packs or purge breaths, final exhale, then inhale and hold. As an example, this morning that got me to an easy, no contraction, 6:01 hold. My current training goal is to get used to this so it all becomes automatic, and then push to 7:00 or higher from there. I figure I can go at least 1:30 to 2:00 past when contractions start under normal circumstances, so conservatively I think I can get at least a minute more without much difficulty. Stay tuned. Right now my difficulty is in switching focus from delaying contractions to extending the hold. The good news is that I am getting no hypoxic symptoms at 6:00 and have gone as far as 6:08 without contractions. It will be interesting to see if that inproves efficiency at all. Also regarding breathe ups. My breathe up has morphed alot in the last 4 months. If I had tried this breathe up 4 months ago I would probably have passed out. This particular breathe up is geared to fit in the 45 minutes prior to a hold in competition and may be too long to be practical in a real world situation. On the other hand, it is very easy, repeatable, relaxing, and stress free. One thing for sure, there is no magic bullet that I know of in the way of breathe ups, but your breathe up is the key to a long hold especially when ditching warmup holds.

you don´t pack... ?
... ok my statics are a little smaller 5.15 min so.... (i don´t train it much ) but when i did my 5.15 i have contractions at 1.30 !! (like O-Boy)
perhaps it is my breath up ... 10 min chill ( normal breathing) pack streching and then 2-3 min after that go...
after that static i was extreme tired for that day.. --> one day rest
herbert had also so late contractions... on his attempt or?
at 6.41min??? his first c.?!?
perhaps i try it at the next time with your "40min breath up" but i feel always hyperventilated when i do 2-3 full inhale breaths...so i change the "in 2sek " in "in 4sek" or something...

Hi Constantine, have you tried "40min breath up"? What was the result. My current PB is 5:56 and have also contractions at about 1:30-45. I should maybe get used to early contractions. Do you think that delaying contractions is efective? Please let us know the result of your plan...

is anyone still working on training with no breath up? Its been forever since any of you have posted? Is it worth doing, or no?

A few of us here in Wellington do no warmup statics. It seems that it's very successful if you put in the work for CO2 tolerance.

Thats great, i was suprised that the discussion just died out. As for co2 training, what would you suggest, some hard tables like 1 minute holds with only a one breath rest then repeated? Is there an ongoing forum that talks about this?

Yes, pretty much exactly that. 10 repeats at a given time; one minute is a good starting point.

Hi. Here in Czech Republic, Prague one guy (potapnik) do it also without warm-up with times around 6:30. IMHO good results :). I am also starting with this.

it has been almost 3 yrs since the last post in this thread...Any updates on any progress ?

I always did Static with warm ups and improved my PB from 5.30 to 7.06 two years ago... Have not trained much static since but started doing no warm up dynamics this year with sucess. So i decided to try it in static as well and rather suprisingly did 6 mins; 3-4 times so far... Think there is potential for improvement with this approach.

Static no apnea warm up has been my standard for years.
Did my pb, 7' with it too.

Tom Sietas did also his statics without breath-holds in his preparation.

Last edited:
Having left freediving almost 7 years now, a few weeks ago the "call of the water" hits me again and I began to train the old fashion way (statics with breath-ups, warm-ups, etc.
My first PB was 4' and since then I was only beginning to do some stretchings, relaxation and CO2 tables with nothing like a weekly schedule, just warming up my freediving soul.
Then I began to talk to rafacuatic and he discovered to me a new world of training that happens in the years I've been "retired".
I began to read and study the forums and mentally posting some ideas from Rafa itself and this night at 00:20 while I was reading this same thread I said to myself "hey, you're now relaxed, doing no breath-ups, no warm-ups, just being here and now". The next thing was taking a last breath and hold...
Contractions came at 20", very early but pleasantly and comfortably, no problem with that. A "burn feeling" and something like a urge to breath also came early, at first just like a touch and then the burn turns harder... I was distracting only by my girlfriend sleeping by my side and start breathing again at 2'52". Head super-clear, a very light first breath and I was feeling very calm and happy...
I feel awesome now! I was rejecting myself to try a new approach but it seems that maybe I had fear of the unknown.
Any advice/comment really appreciated, thanks!

Next day I had try the same and the result was awesome:
- 3:30 (@1:07, 52x, 2:27).

Big improvement in one day with no packing at all and the breathold doing in my workout lunchtime :D

If you do holds in bed before you sleep be careful not to wake up your gf when you do your recovery breath. It's even more important not to have a samba :)

Oh and it's only a matter of time before you fall asleep halfway through a hold and wake up 20-30seconds later, still holding your breath!!!! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT