• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static with no warm-up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
If you do holds in bed before you sleep be careful not to wake up your gf when you do your recovery breath. It's even more important not to have a samba :)

Oh and it's only a matter of time before you fall asleep halfway through a hold and wake up 20-30seconds later, still holding your breath!!!! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe this is the "secret": sleep 5' during your breathold and add this time to your PB!

My progression so far... I only did one max per day, last two days 2 and 3 attempts:

02/05/2011: 2:52 (@20", ?, 2:32)
03/05/2011: 3:30 (@1:07, 52x, 2:27)
05/05/2011: 3:20 (@1:02, 48x, 2:18)
06/05/2011: 4:00 (@59", 68x, 3:01)
07/05/2011: 4:10 (@52", 72x, 3:18)
09/05/2011: 5:20 (@1:38, 80x, 3:43)
10/05/2011: 5:34 (@1:38, ?, 3:57) (At second attempt and ventilating last minute).
11/05/2011: 5:20 (@1:56, 80x, 3:14) (Third attempt)

I´m stucked with early contractions :(

Reactions: Kars
Looks like Table B (O2) training effect!

Now have a week or two of daily CO2 tables, extending the 'easy-phase', and you'll see that this also improves the struggle phase, which you already master pretty good!

I'm looking forward to you next reports.
Static Apnea Tables by Freediver.co.uk and Freedivers.net :: Graphics by Mozzi
Going of to your PB, you would start with a 'base time' of 2'45" - but since you're starting, I suggest first take something lower, like 1'30". If that's easy try 1'45" the next session. Do only small increments so you'll have more apnea time and learn better how to detect tension and relax that.

Hasta luego,

Carlos / Kars

Thanks Kars! Yesterday I took a break because that 5:36 was mentally hard... So I did a CO2 table with 2:30 breatholds, an initial rest of 120" and going till 15" breath-up before the last hold.
All the table feels very, very easy... Even in the 6th round, first contraction came at 2:15.
I think that I can manage the struggle-phase but, for some reason I can´t get my first contraction later in the first no-warmup static.

I´ll take a break from the no-warmups and go for the CO2 tables but I hope not the get back with this new type of statics.

The tables are not just about making it through.
The table gives a diver the repeated chance to learn and become better in gradually increasing difficult situations.

For instance a 'light' CO2 table may seem easy to do, but the price is in the improved relaxation technique you develop while doing. It's a bit like side wheels on a bike, the wheels prevent making the bicycling challenge too difficult, thus giving the child time to improve coordination and balance. These are the real lessons learned, not the longer distances the child manages to ride the bike.

Hey Kars, I've read before in this very thread that the no-warmup statics also builds CO2 tolerance... what do you think about? my goal before Christmas time is to up my PB for 7:00 ;)

One thing I have noticed about no-warmup statics is that they improve somewhat on their own as your training progresses. My warmup holds have started at 3, 3:15, 3:30, and now 4:00. Last week did a 4/5/4(screewed up)/6:21. Could never have dreamed of doing an initial 4 min hold, even just a year ago, so your body learns.

Several individuals have suggested that I be doing empty lung holds to improve. I have started that, and my thinking is that they will improve my no-warmup ability too.

And just so everyone knows what I mean by no-warmup, for me, relax, breathe normally for approximately 3 minutes, do 3 relaxed 50% or so purge breaths, fully inhale and go. Currently not packing for these holds. Right now, I think I could go 4:30 or 5:00 under those conditions, and if I added some more specialized breathing beforehand, maybe 5:30 or 6:00.

My point is that any improvement has been totally by accident and as a result of my training. If my first warmup hold gets to about 5 minutes over the next few years, almost no point in doing warmups at all.

Hi at all, its true the no warm up helps. BUT a warm up approach also:

for 2 years ago i make 5.15, now iam close 2sec. from 6´.... and i can do always with just 3min normal breathing over 5´.. i do many sports (maybe too much: martial arts, lot of running, cycling and a liitle climbing). the endurance sports are 6-7x in a week.
for my 45 sec. imrovement i trained 5weeks... and made always over 4min on the first hold....

now i give the no warm up technique a try for static combined with FRC dry holds. i will train 4-5x apnea in a week + 5x endurance. that my plans..
of course the statics now are with no warm up by 5 10 with spending 3min in contractions. with warm ups i had contractions at ca. 3.15min until near 5.30 +

any updates by the others?

Here is some newbie numbers. I am really just beginning and this thread was inspiring. My PB dry static is by 3min which I did at the end of an O2 table. After reading a lot on not doing any breath-up I never did any for all my "training". Anyways, today I lay on my floor, relaxed (meditated) for about 10 minutes while not actively controlling my breathing, took one big inhale (I have not done any stretching exercises yet) for I'd say about 80% of my volume so that it was still comfortable and I went for it.
Result: 2:53 (@1:15, 30 for 1:38)
Not at all bad for me. I was actually counting the # of contractions with no specific goal set (was the first time I've done that). It felt like ok to stop after 30 as I was alone. I'm sure if I'd wanted I could've gone for a few more seconds, but then again I can do that some other time when I'm not alone. I will keep you posted on the progress.
Btw. I had some slight headaches as well in the last couple of days. After doing the yoga technique suggested by Eric (chin to chest) this seems to be better.

Hello to everybody, the starting of my training started a little later. i began to train for 4weeks now.

i do specific training
1. week 2x pool training sta, 1x dry, 5x aerobic incl. 1x no warm up static
2. week 5x dry training, 2x aerobic incl. 2x nw static
3. week 3x pool training incl. 1x nw static
4. week 4x dry 2x pool, 1x aerobic incl. 3x nw sta

Improving:
- DRY (not water) no warm up sta from 5min to 5.31min with 2.44min in contractions
- FRC Table (8x holds)from 2.15holds to 2.30min,break from 1.10 - 20sec (the last 2x )now easy

generally for "long" dives i must pack, now i don´t pack at these dives at all. Of course one reason is that disiness on land when i pack to max (ca 35x big ones).

in the water i didn´t try much the no warm up sta so far, only in a loud and noisy pool to over 5min. my main focus is always spending min 2.30min in contractions....

the frc tables i make after a nw-static (they are ca 1-2times a week)
Hypoxic training i make by cycling or in a pool (less breathing etc... )

curve goes up ... but any ohter ideas about the training ?

Well, today I managed 4:26 with 50 contractions starting after 1:30. So compared to my previous post the total time increased significantly, but the no-contraction time only slightly. Is there any specific training to prolong the time without contractions? Is this just a matter of relaxation?

Well, today I managed 4:26 with 50 contractions starting after 1:30. So compared to my previous post the total time increased significantly, but the no-contraction time only slightly. Is there any specific training to prolong the time without contractions? Is this just a matter of relaxation?

Do CO2 tables, learn to relax better.
FRC dives can also be very beneficial.

So a little update...

facts by warm up for sta: my contraction started about 3`30`` and went to 4 20 (longest 4 40, but it was hyperventilated in competition)
the contraction time degreased, nearly the improvement to 1st contraction.

wet sta: no improvement (5.58) dry sta: new Pb 6 10 and it feels very good

all my dives a nearly with no packing (4-7packs)

i change my training a little and make only 2x/week O2tables with 5holds and 2min rest and after that 25m dnf´s in FRC with 7 breaths between each length and 1xweek dry sta session (improving from 5.20 to every time over 6´ (4x))

now i slide a little down and make 3 times a week 25m dnf´s in FRC with 7 breaths breaks for 30-50min. For a little colourness i make dolphin style(like monofinning) 25m with 10 breaths between (they are heavy).
So I make like a pyramid-training slow 25m´s than dolphin thing than slow 25m´s

my goal: better in sta and dyn

thanks a lot !
cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: Kars
Answer about what exactly? I did not see any question in your last post, was there any?

Answer about what exactly? I did not see any question in your last post, was there any?

yeah.... ur right sorry, from all traingsdata in my head i forgett the question:D

now i slide a little down and make 3 times a week 25m dnf´s in FRC with 7 breaths breaks for 30-50min. For a little colourness i make dolphin style(like monofinning) 25m with 10 breaths between (they are heavy).
So I make like a pyramid-training slow 25m´s than dolphin thing than slow 25m´s

--> is that a good training for sta and dyn? i think my Co2 tolerance/low O2 tolerance getting higher and my energy storage in the muscles (ATP) rise up, is that right?
so when i change my FRC intervall sessions again to long times, have this training method a positive affect for my STA performances?

Is this somehow related to the topic of the thread, Constantine? If no, then please move it to a separate thread. Hijacking threads for competely unrelated topics, just because they are popular and visited, will not bring a lot of appreciation.

Otherwise, a proper training consist of much more that just a single type of exercise. So of course what you do, is not bad, but we can barely tell whether it is what you really need. The best would be joining a club, or finding an experienced instructor who will coach you properly.

Give the guy a break ivo. Who cares if its in the right place or not.
Isnt this forum about learning and sharing knowledge. Loosen up dude.

I didn't want to start mocking, but I actually had the same thoughts as Ivo. In my eyes it is also a helpful hint.

I didn't want to start mocking, but I actually had the same thoughts as Ivo. In my eyes it is also a helpful hint.

mhh.. maybe u understand now why iam asking(sr my english is not so good):

i tried over years different training styles. Full lungs, empty lung, tables, pyramid things, Vo2max training, lot different intervall and thats in water and out of the water ! no warm up /warm up/ breath up changing. change speed, swimming styles and so on. i was on 1-2x on a competition a year and chat around with that things. a regulary partner leave the country and others train not that much so i ask things here in the forum.

so i think i train in a planed way and after a few months a can ask here what i can do better.
iam correct here at no-warm ups.ni want to make my training step by step and would make these things, what i wrote, at my 1st step. after that i move my preperation to no-warm up and i only would ask are these good training sessions for that, because i haven´t got so much experience how effective frc´s are? (i search around but i can´t find a thread for no warm up with frc´s)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT