• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tell me your idea about these guns...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Vote fof the gun please

• Beuchat Mundial Carbono 115

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • Cressi-sub Comanche Aluminum

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Sporasub Black viper 115

Votes: 9 37.5%

• Total voters
Murat, this will only be the case if the gun has not got a rail, or if the barrel flexes upon loading.

The Totems are rigid and have the rail so they shoot as straight as you like.

The lack of recoil gives them pinpoint accuracy as well.

Hey Btrone

Dont know what to say about the butt snapping off. Maybe that is the cost of having a more streamline versatile wooden gun. Did you ask for a replacement? The gun comes with a two year guarantee.

About the shaft issue you mention I have considered what you say so my tahiti is coming with 7mm shaft although I will most likely switch to the Euro Shaft just for the sharkfins.

It is strange because I just received an email this morning from totemsub informing me that my tahiti 120 is in transit and your account has sort of "dented" my enthusiasm.

So when it arrives ill be able to give you a more informed reply as I have not laid my hands on a totemsub yet and my view is based entirely on second hand accounts and fotos.

Shane if you are reading this please comment.

Kind Regards

Nikos

Hey Nikos,

This is the first problem I hear about any part of a Totem gun just snapping off. They must have bashed it real hard in transit :(

I can give you first hand experience with my Tahiti and they are rugged guns. Mine fell off my motorbike and all it got was a few scratches which were easily fixed with some polyurethane clear varnish.

The shafts are made by Devotosub and they are the shaft of choice of most italian spearos. I have never used Riffe Euro shafts so cannot compare, but I know that plenty of big fish including a 93 kilo tuna have been caught using the Devoto shafts.

Hello Shane

Thanks for the info.

I also think that Btrones was an isolated incidence otherwise if there was a general fault with the rigidity more people would have come forward to say so.

Do you have Devotos with sharkfins or plain notches Shane?

Everything considered this gun seems too good to be real. Man I cant wait to do some aspettos with it...

All im saying is that this summer in the eastern med the dentex are going to be whispering "totemsub...totemsub...".

Regards

Nikos

Nikos,

My devoto comes with normal notches. I will try to find shark fins when I ruin this shaft. I also need to get a shaft with a threaded end to fit my Tuna Slip Tip ;)

If you have access to a dremel sander, sand the notched down as smooth as possible to give the dyneema wishbones a longer life span.

Shane

Riffe Euro shaft comes as threaded also. However the standard 6.75mm it comes in seems to be way too thin for tuna purposes. Is your slip tip riffe as well?

Nikos

Hey shane do you know sliptip for 6.5mm shaft? Thinking using for dentex and AJ. Even better if its low profile "take off the floper and slip it on" other than screw type;)

Hello Murat,

Riffe definitely do slip-tips for 6.5mm shafts even for 6mm. Check this out http://www.speargun.com/accessory_01.htm#heads.

I have heard something about Picasso coming up with a slip tip for euroguns but have not seen anything yet.

You can get a hold of a riffe slip tip for 6.5mm from "Survival" in Nicosia he is Riffe representative in Cyprus and has a good selection from you to choose from.

The owner named Kadis is also selling his 50" Riffe Islander with a break away slip tip and reel for 200 Cypriot Pounds in the case you are interested.

Best Regards

Nikos

Originally posted by Ntrik
Riffe definitely do slip-tips for 6.5mm shafts even for 6mm. Check this out http://www.speargun.com/accessory_01.htm#heads.

I have heard something about Picasso coming up with a slip tip for euroguns but have not seen anything yet.

I do not believe there is anything in Riffe's site about sliptips for 6mm or 6.5mm shafts. It appears that you are looking at "6mm" for the shaft's threading. You could possibly use the slip-tip on a 1/4" shaft, but they do not make slide rings to go along with it. I think it'd be too unbalanced as well.

If you're looking at a euro slip-tip, check this out:

http://www.norcalfreedive.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=181

Originally posted by Ntrik
Hello Murat,

You can get a hold of a riffe slip tip for 6.5mm from "Survival" in Nicosia he is Riffe representative in Cyprus and has a good selection from you to choose from.

The owner named Kadis is also selling his 50" Riffe Islander with a break away slip tip and reel for 200 Cypriot Pounds in the case you are interested.

Best Regards

Nikos

Thanks Nikos,

As i guess riffe slip tip is too heavy for 6.5mm shaft, so it will effect spear trajectory negatively.

I don't need Riffe Island now but if he is selling it for that price with all that equipment....

Originally posted by fuzz
I do not believe there is anything in Riffe's site about sliptips for 6mm or 6.5mm shafts. It appears that you are looking at "6mm" for the shaft's threading. You could possibly use the slip-tip on a 1/4" shaft, but they do not make slide rings to go along with it. I think it'd be too unbalanced as well.

If you're looking at a euro slip-tip, check this out:

http://www.norcalfreedive.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=181

Yeah fuzz, i can remmember the thread about this tip very clearly.
But the problem is the guy said it its for 7mm shaft and may not fit perfectly to the 6.5mm shaft. In the site it also says its for 7mm. Do you know 6.5mm compatible version of this?

I thought those tips produced in europe:confused:

Anyway, i will let you know when i want one. Thanks...

NTRIK
I DIDNT MEEN TO DAMPEN YOUR ENTHUSIASM THEY ARE VERY NICE GUNS,ALSO DONT FORGET MY GUN IS TWO YEARS OLD AND THE LOADING BUTT ISSUE MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN ADDRESSED. I HAVE SHOT MANY 20# PLUS FISH WITH IT WITH OUT A HITCH.I THINK THE PROBLEM WITH THE BUTT WAS THAT IT HAD NO MECHANICAL FASTENER HOLDING IT TO THE REST OF THE GUN,IT WAS JUST CROSS GRAIN EPOXIED TO END GRAIN WHICH PROBABLY JUST WICKED ALL THE EPOXY AWAY FROM THE JOINT.
AS FAR AS THE SHAFTS GO REMEMBER I SHOT THOSE FISH ON THE BOTTOM IN THE ROCKS SO IT IS JUST A GENERAL WARNING ABOUT ALL EURO SHAFTS I GUESS, THE LOADING NOTCHES ARE A WEAK POINT.
THIS WINTER I THINK I AM GOING TO BUILD MY OWN GUN BASED ON A TOTEMSUB BUT WITH A ALEXANDER TRIGGER. THE THING THAT ATTRACTED ME TO THE TOTEM WAS THAT IT IS WOODEN EURO GUN ( ONE BIG SINGLE BAND!!) BEING A CARPENTER I LIKE WOOD.
LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE YOUR TOTEM
BRAD

Fuzz meet the Riffe Ice Pick Slip Tip:

http://www.spearfishinggear.com/Mer...uct_Code=RIPSTA&Category_Code=T&Affiliate=db1

This slip tip is made applicable by the Riffe Ice Pick Slip Tip Adapter for threaded shafts up to 6mm...

" Dear Nikos,

Thank you for contacting RIFFE.

We have an Ice Pick Adapter with the 6mm thread.
All the Ice Pick Tips are the same.

The only threads we make are 6mm & 5/16 - 24"

Regards,
Julie"

The Ice Pick Slip Tip Adapter is also available on the Riffe site catalogue under "detachable spearheads and parts" here...

http://www.speargun.com/spearlist.htm#tips

Regards

Nikos

Hey Brad,

I accept what you say about the potential weakness of the wooden butt on the pelagos, since it lies within your field of expertise.

The Tahiti 120 im receiving however is due to larger size expected (I hope) to be more robust.

Remember Brad I argue completely on the theoretical sphere as I have not laid hands on any totemsub as of yet.

I will definitely settle my opinion when im receiving it in about 2 weeks time and ill let you know how it "behaves" for me.

No danger of my enthusiasm (permanent side-effect of the spearfishing "virus") diminishing was just a manner of speech.

Its just that with Totemsub having no retailers and relatively few - but admittedly very satisfied- gun owners to get info from, the "legend" surrounding the pelagos and the tahiti has been somewhat dubious but irrefutable at the same time.

I am almost expecting God to appear on my doorstep in about two weeks time wearing a DHL cap and holding a 80"X20" box...

About the wooden gun you are envisaging how many bands are you thinking of? Are you thinking of totem-like 2-band style or do you plan to load the Alexander for all its worth?

Kind Regards

Nikos

Hey nikos
I the same as you bought the totem gun sight unseen. It just caught my eye and had to have it to add to the 10 others collecting dust.:D I must say though it is the first gun I bought that I didnt promptly rip apart and modify. It is one of the guns I use the most, that and my Riffe comp 2. My pelagos only has one band, I ordered it with a 3/4 inch band. That is why I like the euro guns. That is something I am going to do to the riffe, I am going to drill out the muzzle for a 3/4 inch band to replace the two 9/16 ones that are on it .I will have to order the muzzle reinforcement kit for it. On the gun I am going to build it is going to be one big mutha band . I just saw one in hawaii skindiver that is very similiar to one I want to build it is called a KAI.
sorry for the run on sentance but its getting late and I am hitting the hay.

Brad

Nikos, you got a PM.

In the future, read before you post... especially if you're wrong. ;)

Last edited:
Hey guys,

THe slip tip I have is also made by devoto.

www.devotosub.com

They have also patented a systen to ensure you don't lose the fish if the shaft snaps at the notches.

Devoto also make their slip tips for Picasso and for Demka if I am not mistaken. THey have a 6.5mm tip and a 7mm tip.

There is also a connection between Devoto, C4 and Spetton.

i already made wish list for summer;) I am about to order a new suit and watch and may be fin later in summer then a new wooden gun. I am planing to slay many many many many fish this summer, after 5-6 month off i am really hungry to sea. Can't even tolerate those groupers waiting in deep for me to put one between the eyes AhHHHHAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look i gone mad again.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT