• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The 2018 Guernsey Specimen Hunt & social

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi Martin thanks for the invite, I will be coming, is there still space for the meal after, if so my food for the meal would be

Seasonal soup
6oz Sirloin steak, béarnaise & chips
Guernsey ice cream & chocolate sauce

Reactions: foxfish
Hi Dan, yes that’s great, keep tuned for more upcoming info....

And..... the next one up is Tipticiter (Pierre)
Unfortunately Paul from Jersey has dropped out.

And..... the next one up is Tipticiter (Pierre)
Unfortunately Paul from Jersey has dropped out.
Hi Mart, yes i'm still interested in trying the comp. I'll check with the boss to the Friday nighter and get back with choices.

Great, Friday is just a meet up at the Terrace, Sat night at the Octopus and Sunday evening in my garden. (Partners welcome to any social )

Reactions: Trelawney
Species List (CM/LB)

Cuttle Fish 1 LB

Lobster 1 1/2 LB

Chancre 2 LB

Scallop 10 cm

Red Mullet 28 cm

Mackerel 28 cm

All Breams 28 cm **

Gurnard 28 cm

Trigger Fish 28 cm

Dover Sole 36 cm

Plaice 36 cm

Turbot 38 cm

Brill 38 cm

Gilthead Bream 40 cm **

Pollock 45 cm

Long Nose 45 cm

Mullet grey thick lip 50 cm

Mullet thin lipped 50cm

Mullet golden grey. 28cm

40cm for a Gilthead seems massive, though it is a specimen hunt. Is there a legal minimum size for them? Mart off memory have they always been around Guernsey or are they more common now?

Reactions: jerseymike
No Andy, no bass this year!
I know this has disappointed some folk but as the main organiser, I do not wish to carry the responsibility of potential issues arising if bass are included on the specimen list.
I asked for the opinions from several interested party’s like the police, the sea fisheries, angling shop staff, a deputy, individual shore anglers and spear fishermen.
I simply do not want to put Guernsey spearfishing in the limelight by including bass.
However I do this for the good of the sport, not as a personal view!

As we all know sea fishies would of liked to placed a ban on shore caught bass but, are unable to implement such a law.
If someone wants to shoot a bass, then that will be their own responsibility, but it will not be eligible in the competition.

To be honest Mart, I respect your view and agree with it in this instance I would make the same call. Its not fair on you as the event organiser to get caught in the middle should a member of the public or another fishing demographic take offence (although incorrect/unwarranted).

However should a visiting UK/Jersey spearo wish to take a bass to eat at the bbq although it would not score would this be acceptable?

Giltheads have been around for 30 years or so, I don’t think they were many in those days but, we did hold the British shore caught record for some time.
It has only been in the last 10 years that giltheads have become a regular catch, they seem to be increasing every year...

I am open to any suggestions regarding the size limits... how much do you think a 40cm gilthead would weigh 3-3.5lb?

Portinfer and little sarge, any idea of weight and lengths of your most recent giltheads?
on Friday Sarge had 2, whilst neither was big both were still good size and based on how elusive they are I would say fish that size should count, I think a 40cm fish if healthy would be 4lb+ as they get thick

Had a look at Guernsey fisheries laws, there is defo no minimum legal size for gilts...also , Guernsey fisheries measure fish from the tip of the snout to end of the tail ( not the fork). We dont get many giltheads in Jersey...but Dan had a nice one this year (by our standards) .That fish was just over a kilo and measured just over 40cm....so 40cm gilt from snout to end of tail ..should be over 2lbs which is a nice and very tasty fish!
FB_IMG_1530599708823.jpg
Screenshot_20180703-072517.jpg

Last edited:
Fair play Mike that's pretty spot on , I suppose the tails are reasonably long, I'm surprised there is no minimum size here as they seem to be a fairly important species to some of the commercials here,

Fair play Mike that's pretty spot on , I suppose the tails are reasonably long, I'm surprised there is no minimum size here as they seem to be a fairly important species to some of the commercials here,
Me too...and yet there are some pretty small minimums for other fish eg 15cm for a red mullet 40cm would be a very good gilthead for us...u guys are lucky to have such a good stock of decent fish...whats the average size / weight you are catching/seeing?

I missed one today that looked 3lb+
But so far this year there seems to be more small 1.5lb fish around. Early days yet, last year I think the average was3lb , Kerin got a clonker, and the rod and line guys had a number of 5lb + from the shore

Reactions: jerseymike
There was a recent 17lb one caught by a commercial and two even bigger ones shown in the fishmongers, all pictured on Facebook in the last few weeks.
There has been a constant supply of double figure fish in the fishmongers this year, I must of seen at least 20 doubles on his slab over the last couple of years.

All the fish sizes are to be measured from nose to inner tail fork. (Like last year)
I prefer this measurement as it is more accurate and non adjustable by manipulating.

Don’t forget this is a specimen hunt so the fish are slightly bigger than legal size.

Hi guys and girls!

We are in the process of catching up with paperwork re next month’s Guernsey Fish comp. The following are listed as diving in the competition:

Andy Linehan
Nic Wood
Brandon Williams
Pierre Joubert
Dan Noble
Mike Shearer
Louis Jouault
Matt Gurney
Jack Luce
Ed Downing
Cobus
Ben Yeates
Jason P
Chris Mills
John Norman
Dan Le
Jacob Fitch??
Pierre Garrick
Christian Alan
Please confirm that you are in! Thanks

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT