• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The 2018 Guernsey Specimen Hunt & social

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thanks Mart,

Apologies for the short notice, pretty sure most people would have read the message by now?
So everyone please comment?
Or we can discuss it tonight?
I realise how much effort you put in and I would be willing help where I can. It's an event I really look forward to.
I don't have a problem scaling and gutting my fish after the weigh-in.

Looking forward to tonight. :)

Regards.

Unfortunately, it looks like we will be hit by some bad weather over the next few days.
What with a force six this afternoon from the west south west, I doubt if the west coast will have any vis left by Saturday.
The forecast for Saturday shows low wind from the west south west but Sunday see more 15mph wind from the south with a low swell on the west coast.
71706470-DF79-4926-A87B-7DBF8D6795BB.jpeg
43AEF939-DAEC-4CDE-B7AF-B63DCD89E526.jpeg
95B9DF20-15BC-42D1-8059-37E59A847FCE.jpeg

Had some crappy virus for the last 10 days, so looking forward to a dip in the water tomorrow, although might be a couple of hours and not the full lot
Won’t make it tonight but look forward to seeing everyone tomorrow

Yes, sure it is possible but... you will have to contact every competitor in the next 24 hours and ask them if they are ok with that.

Why did you not make that suggestion months ago?

The set times are a compromise of my time, the dates and the tides.

Last year I spent all day at the venue, weighed, measured and recorded the catch, speed home, filleted large amounts of fish, put them on ice, ran into the shower, speed to the resteraunt and welcomed my guest with a smile!

I know the times are not ideal....but this 11 year old event is about spear-fishermen getting together and having fun, I have tried my best to put it together, I thought I gave everybody the opportunity to make suggestion along the way......

If you really think it is important to change the times, then I am fine with that, but I will need help from you to contact every competitor, I will also need help to prepare the catch.
Unfortunately I don’t have everybody’s phone number, so I don’t know how we can contact all the competitors ?
I'm easy on start times, as long a sits made clear. as for fish prepaaration i think we should each have to do our own! Its only fair in my opinion, once they're weighed, guts out scales removed and disposed of in the sea. Job done!

We are all very grateful for the hard work and effort you and Sarah put into the competition and socials Mart and without you guys the comp would never happen.

If you were going to run the comp for a extra hour could you not notify all competitors at sign in tomorrow a.m?
That way everyone knows and it would be their choice wether to stay in for the extra hour or get out. Just a suggestion.....

Weather doesn’t look like it’s going to be on our side which is such a shame! I doubt there will be any decent viz on west this weekend.

See you all this evening (y)

Guernsey Weather Fox seems to agree with Windguru and predicts light winds from the south tomorrow.
Yes that seems to be what they all add up to but that won’t change the fact it is howling along the west at the moment, added with a 2’ swell we have a good soup recipe!
The east is still quite flat so Bulwer would be ok but the Sunday dive will be more difficult to call.

Certainly cleaning your own fish would help me a lot.

Andy, you most certainly do, if I had to shuck the scallops as well, I would need another hour!

I'm easy on start times, as long a sits made clear. as for fish prepaaration i think we should each have to do our own! Its only fair in my opinion, once they're weighed, guts out scales removed and disposed of in the sea. Job done!

I’ll especially make sure Marts mullet fillets are in prime condition for him

Reactions: Tipticiter
We are all very grateful for the hard work and effort you and Sarah put into the competition and socials Mart and without you guys the comp would never happen.

If you were going to run the comp for a extra hour could you not notify all competitors at sign in tomorrow a.m?
That way everyone knows and it would be their choice wether to stay in for the extra hour or get out. Just a suggestion.....

Weather doesn’t look like it’s going to be on our side which is such a shame! I doubt there will be any decent viz on west this weekend.

See you all this evening (y)
Hi Kerin, we enjoy organising but my point was more that I need time between the end of the comp to fillet the fish etc so I have to schedule that into the set times.
If you guys part clean your fish that will save me time for sure.
Of course if nobody catches anything I will have loads of time! Last year we had a bumper catch.....

Ok, so l have just circumnavigated the island, everywhere looks pretty bad, even the sheltered bays have white water showing just off shore.
So on that basis I don’t think it will make difference wherever we go!

I have a couple of suggestions for you guys to consider.....

Fort la Marchant to Fort Doyle might be less stirred up tomorrow when the wind drops.
Fort la Crocq is surprisingly sheltered and would of been my first choice West Coast mark had the weather been on our side.
I think that might still be a possibility?
Oyster farm looks ok ish and of course our old favourite Bulwer Avenu might be fishible too.
We will have to decide tonight, I guess it would be possible to meet at For le Crocq and relocate to an east coast mark if necessary?

I wouldn't go west atall. fort le marchant to Doyle or belgrave sound like way better options

Belgrave Saturday as the wind will be lighter , then fort le merchant sunday as the wind gets allot stronger and turns southerly

Belgrave Sat.
Sun would be keen to start at Doyle and people can chose to go left to fort le Marchant or right to paradis.....

Reactions: Tipticiter
Hi guys,

Us Jersey Boys are sadly already an hour delayed on the crossing because of the winds delaying our boat getting in. And that may still change more. Given we’ve still to check in and settle and two of us are pretty crock at the mo, we’re going to have to apologise and give the social a miss tonight. Massive apologies. Fingers crossed we’ll get in to Guernsey sometime and turn up bright eyed and bushy tailed for tomorrows soupy dive!!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT