• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diameter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What rail and spear diameter option would you choose?

• Enclosed track 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Enclosed track 6.5mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Open track 6.5mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Open track 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Rail gun 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Rail gun 6.5 sharkfin spear

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Rail gun 7mm notched spear

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Rail gun 6.5mm notched spear

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diame

The only real downside I see in enclosed track will be the difficulty in finding spears with big sharkfins. There are not that many producers making 120-130cm-long 6.5mm shafts with big sharkfins. Actually I cannot remember a single one right now...

Reactions: settingsteel
Reactions: settingsteel
Re: The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diame

It’s getting better all the time; a true custom made gun and now with a custom made spear. It don’t come much better.:D:D

Actually you don't remove more material with an enclosed track you add a little more around the shaft which in itself can reduce drag caused by turbulance. Now if it does end up with a cuttlefish shape than the bands could be partially sunk into the wings to reduce drag even further. The possibilities are endless!
Agreed. For sure a cuttlefish bone section should have grooves to hide the bands in.
But now excuse me I have a question about Foxy's drawing of an enclosed track. Is this the section of the track placed on top of the barrell? How woulfd the section of the whole barrell+track ideally look like?

Well I was not suggesting that our gun will have a slider just that mine will but to answer your question, no very quiet if you use derlin plastic.
Lots of people will tell you ring sliders are crap but some of the worlds most powerful & accurate guns use them as standard - like my mamba!
There are lots of statements about spear guns that I feel are far to broad to be correct in every instance.
I agree plus some "state of the art" sliders make IMO loading a tad quicker

The only real downside I see in enclosed track will be the difficulty in finding spears with big sharkfins. There are not that many producers making 120-130cm-long 6.5mm shafts with big sharkfins. Actually I cannot remember a single one right now

good point Dobs Riffes (fins) and Ray Odor (pins) are the ones I use....but the trig mech. I use fits these shafts...so the trig mech would be a determining factor on availibility of shaft....food for thought anyways.

Reactions: Dobs

How woulfd the section of the whole barrell+track ideally look like?
Very hurried mate, at work still

Attachments

• track.jpg
    track.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 139

Very hurried mate, at work still

In GITS we trust :)
(..and in pastor too! have another sh...load of rep!)

The only real downside I see in enclosed track will be the difficulty in finding spears with big sharkfins. There are not that many producers making 120-130cm-long 6.5mm shafts with big sharkfins. Actually I cannot remember a single one right now...

I have ordered a PICASSO SPEAR @130 CM for my gun, it has little pins not shark fins. Unfortunately I cant find an image & as it has not yet arrived I cant make any more comment.
Another issue would be the actual enclosed track as far as I am aware there are no commercial tracks available to suit a 6.5 spear, so that will be another custom component!

Reactions: spaghetti

Aside, I know that being able to partially hide the bands in the wide section of a cuttlefish type barrel with an enclosed track is potentially a compelling argument. There is nothing stopping us all thinking about reshaping that area to raise the sides enough to have the same affect with a regular track design.

Attachments

• cuttlefish.JPG
    cuttlefish.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 135

Da Na Da Na Da Naaa Batman! rofl

Pastor the last pic for a barrel section turns me on to think of Batman (that's bat Ray's speargun!!!) sure, but also of this one.
It's a creation of forum member Persiko: this gun is named "audacious" and it has a really unique muzzle solution. I know the muzzle talk is not quite on topic by now, but I think this muzzle design could help with a barrell section like the one you designed in you previous post: the band makes a loop under the barrell through two holes...

Attachments

• 1-audace.jpg
    1-audace.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: Pastor

Persiko is one of the great gun builders & his designs are very well thought out.
I think that would indeed work with an enclosed track, of course there would no need to have the pin arrangement that holds the spear in place. The longer rubber would help power the gun too.

Very legitimate concern however modifying a shaft and adding pins isnt all that hard. Well at least if you have access to a drill press or a friend with one. Which brings me to why I would be a perfect candidate to win this gun:martial

Pastor the last pic for a barrel section turns me on to think of Batman (that's bat Ray's speargun!!!) sure, but also of this one.
It's a creation of forum member Persiko: this gun is named "audacious" and it has a really unique muzzle solution. I know the muzzle talk is not quite on topic by now, but I think this muzzle design could help with a barrell section like the one you designed in you previous post: the band makes a loop under the barrell through two holes...
that is one of the most beautiful looking muzzle designs ever, the wood working is obviously top level, but only one band can be used with a design like this. maybe this would be feasible with a 20 or 23 mm band , but in the pic, the band looks much smaller. how do you get the power needed?if you were to put more bands, they would pile up, out of alignment,no? also, how do you install bands? they must be tied in place, no? seems inconvenient possibly

Last edited:

that is one of the most beautiful looking muzzle designs ever, the wood working is obviously top level, but only one band can be used with a design like this. maybe this would be feasible with a 20 or 23 mm band , but in the pic, the band looks much smaller. how do you get the power needed?if you were to put more bands, they would pile up, out of alignment,no? also, how do you install bands? they must be tied in place, no? seems inconvenient possibly

I dont think having a muzzle like this will be too inconvenient. Bands are easy enough to change. Also I saw a band made by hammerhead and the wishbone can actually be untied enabling you to take the bands off of a muzzle like this. Instead of tying one strand as your wish bone, they tie a shorty on either side of the band and then a longer piece is used as the actual wish bone. This piece is tied to either side usin some sort of slip knot.

As far as power, this is only a 90 and is going to have to be used at pretty close range, I personally dont think you will need the power of a 20 or 23mm band. again, only my opinion:cool:

heres a pic of that band by hammerhead

Last edited:

I have no really relevant experience with closed track guns, but one of the things that occurs is whether the enclosed track will not be worse because dirt gets inside a lot. This could mean sand, algae and fish bits and pieces. IMHO it might be a pain to keep the gun in good condition. On the other hand, even if the shaft could be built as an open track, a track for the shaft could be strung on top of the main shaft.

Anyone else has had any bad experiences with encolsed spears?

Best,

Reactions: Mr. X

Personally I think enclosed tracks are the business - they give a clear sight line, hold the spear in place even with the gun upside down, prevent any potential spear whip & look "super cool". Obviously a shark fin type spear would have to be used ...

[Sorry for joining so late, I prefer the 100 cm body length.]

Yeah, I think you're right! The closed track does it all... The loss of energy(=speed) due to friction can easily be overcome with a second band. My Picasso Century Passific Top 100 has 2 16 mm bands which provide plenty of power for a 6,5 mm x 150 cm shaft... They can be changed to 17 or even 18 mm, no need for more power, I believe. I've had no trouble loading/unloading on the sharkfins...
The closed track would give me the freedom to shoot at any position, ultimately upside down, which would probably be more fun than success.
Of course the best way is to give it a try on a stand and measure the ballistic/mechanic results, then try it at sea...
Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:

6.5 notched on a rail.

Not innovative, but certainly effective :martial Sort of following the 1st thread of the Gun Extravaganza: A working man's gun. Though everything in the wood may be custom, parts such as shafts, should be easy to find and order, IMHO
Riffe has a couple of bolt-on kits that somewhat follow the cuttlefish idea.

Attachments

• stabilizer.jpg
    stabilizer.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 137
  • wingkit-s.jpg
    wingkit-s.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: spaghetti
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT