• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Today's catch

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Good day with my divebuddy, he was the lucky one who nailed Mackerel and GT

tmp_24299-FB_IMG_1503489362444-1894228967.jpg

Reactions: foxfish and Woohoo
Golden trevally
GT

And what seems to be a maori seaperch, but not really sure? When i shot it i thougt it was a snapper
tmp_18776-20170831_1324411686835827.jpg

Reactions: Woohoo
Chunky fish, I hope you have a big appetite :)

The GT will be filleted and put in the freezer, the golden trev was given to a local thai family and the seaperch is being steamed right now

This morning started kind of bad, big swell and murky water. After me and my mate got a 2-3kg needlefish each we decided to give up and go back.

Suprise suprise, coming back into the the bay at approx 4 meters depth this 12.1 kg Cuda comes up to check me out.

tmp_13978-Photo 2-9-17, 10 54 44 am-1907010024.jpg
tmp_13978-Photo 2-9-17, 12 28 54 pm1007928411.jpg

Beautiful fish! Quite rare to see one that close to the Phuket shore I would have thought. How much of a fight did he put up?

Beautiful fish! Quite rare to see one that close to the Phuket shore I would have thought. How much of a fight did he put up?

Yeah it's kind of rare with larger fishes coming into the shores here, it happens but it's all about luck and being at the right place at the right time(for example a thai spearo nailed a 36kg cobia just off the shore last year). But the cudas i've shot before was 3-4kg ones and the larger ones i've seen i dont think was over 6 kg.

He went of like a rocket, my float was standing upright and was splitting water out towards open ocean. It was a very exciting experience since i'm still learning and only been spearing for 1 year.

I was really lucky to have a good divebuddy with me, he instantly heard my call for him and saw my float surfing the water so he chased after us and once the fish got tired and calmed down he catched up to me and handed me his gun so i could get a second killshot and get some footage of it on his gopro.

Biggest fish i've speared! But hopefully that will change soon!

Reactions: Woohoo
Suprise suprise, coming back into the the bay at approx 4 meters depth this 12.1 kg Cuda comes up to check me out.

Poor desicion of Mr. Cuda!

Congrats on a great fish! :)

So finally i got my first Spanish mackerel. It should have been sooner, had atleast 4 others that i lost because i was over-optimistic taking longshots at them with a 90 gun so it didnt penetrate the whole way and one incident when i shot one in the head at 2-3 meters from the speartip and the spear just bounced off. I have retired that gun now until i have the time and money to get it setup with a rollerhead and maybe a 10cm longer barrel since i'm not hunting much reefspecies anymore.

tmp_19845-received_1010135831029249687709852.jpeg

I love this thread, one of my favourites. Not only because I have a great fondness for Phuket but it's great to see your evolution as a spearo. Post by post the diversity of your catch has grown. From Parrot fish as a beginner to now catching beautiful large pelagics. I'm just gutted I hadn't taken up spearing yet when I lived on Phuket. Keep up the great work and keep the pics coming.

Reactions: foxfish
Yeah, but there is waaaaaay to little posted material!

Unfortunatly for me... and this thread is that the only fish I can contribute with for a while is the one I find in the supermarket. ;)

C'mon guys, get your fishies up here! [emoji106]

I long ago gave up posting fish stories and photos in the US/North America forum since no one seemed to care and my feelings were hurt. But I just discovered this place where I might get the attention I deserve.:)

So here are a couple of recent fish. The white sea bass is pretty small, but its the first one I've taken with my Abellan Denton 110. And the yellowtail was stoned with my Abellan Albacore 130. I was all set for the strong run and grabbed the float line tight, but was almost disappointed when the fish rolled over and sank.
bill30.JPG
stoneyellow.JPG

I just noticed that a total of only 27 people have read this thread. That isn't very many considering how long its been up. I think that shows a problem that we have in DB. There are so damn many forums that people don't know where to look. For instance, people from the US and Canada might look in the US/North American forum, or in the spearo forum. Stuff is scattered everywhere.

Reactions: SubSub
Great fishes Bill!

When using Tapatalk i get all the stuff in the timeline, no matter of subforum. That's the standard view when entering DB, and I think that should be the way things should be presented in the web forum too, since the risk with presenting stuff in the subforums is that the activity gets really local and low, and the people don't find other stuff that could be of interest and eventually lose interest. This is especially risky in a forum with already low traffic.

I for my sake read about everything and try to answer on the stuff I can contribute with. :)

The good thing about a forum as opposed to facebook, is that subjects are better retrieved & last longer than just 24 hours, or the average attention span. This encourages the poster to make more investment into the content they post.
I really like this particular forum & I think it is really well moderated, not only by the staff but by the example set by the members. How could it increase traffic to this site? I dont know, but if it was by increased advertisements or advertorials, like other forums I would certanly post less, if at all. As it is, the quality of content & the information posted here is ten times better & also open to much more critique & discussion IMO, than anything on any Facebook page.
On posting catches, I only try to post fish if there is a narrative. Believe it or not, I do have some conflict about killing things, do I shoot fish for food, for personal accomplishment, or sometimes is it just hubris? If I keep my catches low key can I satisfy the food & the hunting instinct within myself, but if I post the kill does it become hubris? See, I couldnt post something like that on faceache.

The good thing about a forum as opposed to facebook, is that subjects are better retrieved & last longer than just 24 hours, or the average attention span. This encourages the poster to make more investment into the content they post.
I really like this particular forum & I think it is really well moderated, not only by the staff but by the example set by the members. How could it increase traffic to this site? I dont know, but if it was by increased advertisements or advertorials, like other forums I would certanly post less, if at all. As it is, the quality of content & the information posted here is ten times better & also open to much more critique & discussion IMO, than anything on any Facebook page.
On posting catches, I only try to post fish if there is a narrative. Believe it or not, I do have some conflict about killing things, do I shoot fish for food, for personal accomplishment, or sometimes is it just hubris? If I keep my catches low key can I satisfy the food & the hunting instinct within myself, but if I post the kill does it become hubris? See, I couldnt post something like that on faceache.

The issue is not traffic - we get over a million page views and 300,000+ people a month looking across the site - about 40% of that on the forums.

Only 27 registered members may have seen it Bill but if is likely seen by thousands more who aren't registered.

The issue for forums generally is engagement. Getting people to a) register and b) post threads/reply has long been an issue for forums in the wake of Facebook.

There is an option for checking out new posts without scrolling the whole forum here https://forums.deeperblue.com/find-new/posts

I'm looking at simplifying the forum structure anyway - so we'll see where that goes - it's a trade off between having specific sub-forums for topics with lower posting or bigger generic forums with higher volume of posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SubSub and foxfish
I've always used the new posts button here and on other forums. I've never been able to understand why everyone doesn't. You can just scroll by stuff that obviously doesn't interest you and click on what does.

Reactions: SubSub
I've always used the new posts button here and on other forums. I've never been able to understand why everyone doesn't. You can just scroll by stuff that obviously doesn't interest you and click on what does.

Personally I don't know when forums don't have that as the default functionality for the homepage when logged in but it's been like this for years...

... might do some digging about what is possible :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a more California centric forum where I hang out, the owner doesn't seem to use the new posts button. A couple of times when new members have introduced themselves, it's taken him a week or to to notice and welcome them. He's said things like "gosh, I need to check this more often."

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT