• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tom Sietas Static Wr Attempt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

seafalcon

FreeDiving Professional
May 31, 2007
It is announced by Free Diving Institute (FDI) that Tom Sietas will try a new WR attempt in Athens Greece between 4 and 8 of June.
More info and some fotos you can see at this link Free Diving Institute

Good luck Tom

Tolis

Reactions: James Jay
Well looking at the record attempt Tom made earlier this year, 9.15sec, I think he can push for 10min for sure, just meter of time when he will do that... Or maybe he want to do it step by step...

Hopefully Tom will not make the same mistake Sergey Bubka made in the pole vault in track and field.... Bubka had cleared as much as 6.30m in training, but raised his world record 1cm at a time to maximize his financial income. However, the process was so gradual that he eventually grew old and fell out of shape and had to retire, with a world record of 6.14m which still stands. So although he could do 6.30m at one point in his career, the world would never realize it....

You should tell it also to Bill Graham - people fear since almost 70 years that he eventually grows old and stops making new records, but somehow he forgot about it.

Reactions: Bill
Does your static actually get worse or better with age?
(I mean, going from 30 to 40 years old obviously doesn't make things
easier for pole vault or other sports, but for static I would guess it's
different)

Hi all,
quick update on the record event today.

Tom started his static a bit after 12:30 in the morning after a brief breath up without any warm-up.

He held his breath and came up after 10:12 (official judge's time) (yes that is Ten minutes and Twelve seconds). Tom had a smile on his face was completed the SP within a few seconds without any signs of being stressed.

That was the nice news... the bad news is that this would have been a new world record ... unfortunately his safety diver / event organizer being excited having witnessed such an amazing performance grabbed Tom's arm to congratulate him a few seconds after he completed the protocol and prior to the judges announcing the performance as valid... This of course led to a DQ of this amazing performance...

Tom tried a second attempt a few minutes later but being tired and phyced out he came up after 7 minutes and decided to try again tomorrow...

So we will have to wait for tomorrow ...

Cheers Stavros

Last edited:
Cant believe this thing still happens...

But i hope Tom will do it again, 10:12min... thats stunning... impressive... WOW

stupid rules - unfair & silly.

for me it is a new world record!
congratulations tom.

Last edited:
Thank you Tom! Great performance!

I have suffered also some of these touching disqualifications. And indeed it is at times hard to understand that after completing the surface protocal and being in controll someone can disqualify you simply by touching. Maybe an replacement of this word with 'supporting' would solve these nasty disqualifications.

On the other hand I would have a safety / coach that has a cool head and knows to show his hand and take a step back once I'm surfacing to avoid any contact.

But watching such an amazing breathhold makes it hard for everyone to controll their emotions.

Ok, I'm looking forward to tomorrow!
Any chance we'll see some video and pictures of it soon?

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
I have suffered also some of these touching disqualifications. And indeed it is at times hard to understand that after completing the surface protocal and being in controll someone can disqualify you simply by touching.......

I also know athletes who thank their safety by shaking hands BEFORE they got the card.....(after doing Nat. record) :blackeye

Grtzzzz Pim

Reactions: island_sands
What a great achievement!!! Thanks for posting.

:fridayCongradulations Tom.:friday

:martialU DA MAN:martial

I also know athletes who thank their safety by shaking hands BEFORE they got the card.....(after doing Nat. record) :blackeye

Grtzzzz Pim

Pim I do not see the relevance here, please explain.

stupid rules - unfair & silly.

for me it is a new world record!
congratulations tom.

I competely disagree in your focus on the rules in these comments.

A saftey person/event organiser has no business being anywhere near an athlete let alone in the water during a WR attempt without being very clear on the rules. The athlete also has an obligation to ensure HIS/HER TEAM is aware of the rules and obligations.

It will be great to see the learning for all involved out of this and will make Tom's next 10min+ WR even sweeter - GO Tom

I just wonder if it could have been done on purpose? We just discused it with colegues a few weeks ago and it semed a reasonable move for someone who wants to prove he can hold it over 10 mins but wants also to keep the window open for future record attempts. It would have been completly reasonable and justyfied. Congratulations, Tom, so impresive!
Miha

I just wonder if it could have been done on purpose? We just discused it with colegues a few weeks ago and it semed a reasonable move for someone who wants to prove he can hold it over 10 mins but wants also to keep the window open for future record attempts. It would have been completly reasonable and justyfied. Congratulations, Tom, so impresive!
Miha

Uf! That's quite an accusation there mate. Are you suggesting sabotage? Where you actually present at the comp? Fair dinkum if you were, however... still.. that's a little accusatory.

2c.

Well, since I do not have a problem with what anybody else does or thinks as long as it does not affect others (as in this case) I most certainly would not see any moral dilemas in such a move. But it is not an accusation but rather a specculation. I can see how someone could feel offended by this but I certainly do not - the result is not tarnished in my eyes in any way.
But it is very possible that Tom Sietas will prove me wrong today. If it was a mistake from the safty I would have been very surrprised that such a mistake can still happen in an event like that.
Miha

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT