• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Tom Sietas Static Wr Attempt

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I think AIDA and/or organizers of World Record attempts should compensate to athletes the results own faults by providing new free attempt. An insurance contract can be the easiest way.
Also AIDA rules should provide extension of WR attempt’s period (e.g. 1-2 extra days) in case of mistake made by judges or safeties. These makes position of athlete during WR attempts more secure and help to avoid of negative public effect which AIDA have got sometimes in a past.

I cross my fingers, Tom. You´re gonna do that better that yesterday. And if somebody touch you, please... bounch him on the middle of his face, where the nose is.

I just wonder if it could have been done on purpose?
Well, the same thing happened to Tom during the AIDA World Championship 2005 in Vancouver. In that time the STA record was just above 8 min, but Tom pulled incredible 9:24. Celebrating friends touched him too and he was disqualified. It was also speculated that it was intentional, and that Tom did it on purpose.

The theory was supported by the fact that Tom, although able to pull 10 min statics in training, never repeated the attempt, and did not even try attacking the 9 min barrier again until it was broken by Herbert last year. Although he did many STA records since that time, he always added just few seconds to the last record.

I am not sure though that it was done on purpose this time. But if Tom repeated the attempt just afterward, and does another one today or tomorrow, then it was likely not intentional this time.

Well, the same thing happened to Tom during the AIDA World Championship 2005 in Vancouver. In that time the STA record was just above 8 min, but Tom pulled incredible 9:24. Celebrating friends touched him too and he was disqualified. It was also speculated that it was intentional, and that Tom did it on purpose.

The theory was supported by the fact that Tom, although able to pull 10 min statics in training, never repeated the attempt, and did not even try attacking the 9 min barrier again until it was broken by Herbert last year. Although he did many STA records since that time, he always added just few seconds to the last record.

I am not sure though that it was done on purpose this time. But if Tom repeated the attempt just afterward, and does another one today or tomorrow, then it was likely not intentional this time.

Vancouver was 2004 not 2005 and I witnessed his 9:24 there (as did many others :)) and it was amazing in those days and even is today!!!!!

World Records STA;
11-06-2004 Tom Sietas 8:47 (edit; so before Worlds in Vancouver)
november 2004 Tom Sietas 8:56 (during RMC in Wiesbaden but no WR-status for this competition in those days)
12-12-2004 Tom Sietas 8:58
30-08-2006 Tom Sietas 9:00
then
13-12-2006 Herbert Nitsch 9:04

Tom attacked 9:00 himself and not to get the record back from Herbert; Herbert did his 9:04 after the Worlds in 2006. In the time of Vancouver (2004) Tom's coach did not give Tom the time during his static, that was the reason why he missed the 9:00 in Eindhoven by 2s ..... although I (as organizer of that competition) was glad with his reached performance.

Grtzzzz Pim

Last edited:
I think AIDA and/or organizers of World Record attempts should compensate to athletes the results own faults by providing new free attempt. An insurance contract can be the easiest way.
Also AIDA rules should provide extension of WR attempt’s period (e.g. 1-2 extra days) in case of mistake made by judges or safeties. These makes position of athlete during WR attempts more secure and help to avoid of negative public effect which AIDA have got sometimes in a past.

WOW WOW WOW

you guys are loosing track of the reality here....

Fact (Because I was there): The fact that Tom's coach/organizer disqualified Tom's performance was an accident due to lack of experience on the part of the coach coupled with the excitement of witnessing such a great performance. Both the organizers and Tom were shocked when they heard that the record was not valid... trust me if you saw their faces you would know this was not staged.

Fact: AIDA is in no way responsible for organizational errors during record attempts... That is exclusively the responsibility of the Athlete and the organizer they select to set up and run their event. AIDA is there just to judge and validate the performance through the AIDA judges... (Safety divers are the responsibility of the organizers not the Judges')

And please remember - the organizers normally set up a WR attempt as a commercial venture (ie to make money) ... So why exactly should AIDA compensate the athlete if the organizer messes things up?... Please read the facts before going on a wild goose chase...

And to go back to providing news instead of speculations (which we already have plenty of):

Toms attempt today was not successful. The first try ended up in a 8:57 hold - the subsequent attempt was cut short a few minutes after it started. A third attempt took place at approximately 16:00 which I just found out ended at 8:17...(the judges returned home just now)

Tom will most likely make another attempt tomorrow

Cheers
SK

PS. I think being supportive of Tom's effort is more important at this stage than wild unbased speculations as Tom might be reading these lines...

GO TOM GO :)

Last edited:
Reactions: land shark
Rules should be in place for valid reasons... I cannot see why someone, who after completing their surface protocol would be disqualified because someone touched him while awaiting the judges performance. From my vantage point, this is just silly and makes the sport look less credible.

in my very limited experience of comps (I've been to exactly ONE) the judges are really bummed when they have to red card an athlete on these trivialities.
On the other hand, (devils advocate) a really in tune coach could bring an athlete on the verge of samba/airway drop/bo back around with a well placed touch or tap?

Guys rules are there for a reason.
The touching rule has a very clear purpose for being there - if the athlete was allowed to be touched for example to be congratulated where do you draw the line from the coach touching / tapping the athlete to bring them back during a bad samba? or slightly supporting them so their airways do not sink... You might say its the judges decision on when a touch is bad and when it is not.... the problem there is that that depends on the human element (judge) and would leave a LOT of room for mistakes.
(Those of you who have any experience with freediving competitions know this to be the case)

So a general rule not allowing the athlete to be touched at all until the judges have validated the performance is crystal clear and easy to enforce - JUST DON'T TOUCH THE ATHLETE UNTIL THE PERFORMANCE ENDS...

It is easy, simple and clear for everyone....

The problem in this case was human error (coach making a mistake) not a problem with the rules ...

And as I said before... I think it would be better at this point to be supportive of Tom's effort rather than go into a meaningless discussion on how a rule should be changed to suit our needs at the moment without any other justification.

Tom informed me last night that he would take today off to rest and try again on Saturday.

Cheers Stavros

PS Osusim - if you were aware of the facts of the two events you would see that these are two completely different cases.

Last edited:
comedy :)

who cares whether he beats his own records in 2 second increments or not? and what's the purpose of speculating about that being no coincidence? those are ridiculously long breath-holds no matter what. and surely there is no requirement that he must announce a record attempt every time he is capable of it.

on the other hand, from behind a desk things probably look different. so carry on ;-)

r

Big congratulations for Tom's hold. I've seen a big swim get disqualified for touching and it's a frustrating thing. The most frustrating part is the fact that it's not your fault and is so avoidable. Hopefully he'll come back just as strong, if not stronger.

Good luck for Saturday Tom! Let's see those records tumble!

well done tom a pure professional to mentally recover so well from the earlier unfortunate dq.

Absolutely awesome.

Well done, Tom.

I really wonder what your best ever practice hold was...

Great Tom!, well done, Thank you!

You must be having an internal clock to do the exact same impressive 10:12!

- Like watersmile I'm too wandering what you managed in training, though I tend to think it's over 11' because of your 'publick-performance-margin' strategy.

Hartsliche glückwunchen! You deserve a big cake with 10,12 candles! ;)

Love, Courage and Water!

Kars

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT