• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2008 World team championship - Sharm el Sheik

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Awesome WR Dave! Woot! (I'm not what that means, but I'll use it anyway for the occasion).

Dave - well done man - yet another world record for the kiwis - even if it is just an update to your exisiting one - wooohooo!!!

Hi,

All results are now also in the AIDA ranking (sorted by team points in this link):
AIDA Freediving Results Register

Hope I didn't make any mistakes! (kind of hard work updating such a number of results from photos :))

Great work, Jome! We appreciate it. But why are you updating it from photos? Wouldn't it be simpler from the Excel file available now finally on the competition website? I guess you could import it easier. Perhaps writing short script for importing it into your database would save you some time too.

Even better though - now when your result register is practically recognized as the official program for collecting results of AIDA competitions, why not mandatorily enforce all competition organizers registering all competition results with it? It would not only help avoiding such manual work, but it would also allow having the result in presentable form immediately in real-time during the competition (after each individual competitor's performance), and it could also automatically update the online results. Besides it, a centrally developed and maintained program would allow for many more features - sorting and filtering by different criteria, showing history, comparatives, tendencies, diverse chats, records, etc, etc - many of those feature may be extremely valuable for all parties - the judges, competitors, coaches, reporters, or local commentators, and of course the spectators too.

Additionally it would save work to everyone:
  1. to you, because you would not need entering the data manually,
  2. to the organizer, because all he would need to do is entering the data into a existing application, instead of processing the data either manually, or with the help of Excel, or another application
  3. to judges (getting the official results in real-time and automatically)
  4. to commentators and reporters (getting results and statistical data in real time as well)
  5. and of course it would be an immense progress for all spectators (competitors including)

Heh, that's the plan :) The only thing holding it back is my working schedule basically - I'd need to re-write the admin interface to allow access to more than a very limited number of people basically. So the irony is that not having time to do it properly is probably costing me more time at the moment in a weird way.

Last edited:
Congrats Dave on an awesome record in a 25m pool (or 24.82m or whatever).

There have been extremely few dynamic w/fins world records in a 25m pool. Natalie Descreac 150m in 1997 or 1998, and I think Stephane Mifsud had a controversial record of around 174m or something in 2001-2002. I can't think of any other ones, maybe Tom Sietas -- note that all three of these athletes are bifin divers. In fact I think Dave's record may be the first ever dynamic w/fins world record with a monofin in a 25m pool.

Congrats!

Just a quick point on giving "real time results" on the web. It would be great but it would not be official as the athletes have 15 minutes after the full days results are published at the event to make protests. These protests can often go on until late at night and the last thing any one wants is incorrect info posted on the web.
I would also suggest that those posters who think that they can do a better media relations job offer their services to the organiser of the next Worlds ;)

@Jome: I hadn't realized the full potential of that tool. It's really an amazing work you have done - Thanks!
It might be useful to provide a way for athletes to upload their picture/web pages, which at the moment are mostly empty.

Just a quick point on giving "real time results" on the web. It would be great but it would not be official as the athletes have 15 minutes after the full days results are published at the event to make protests.
So is the situation in most other sports, and it does not prevent anyone from live reporting of intermittent results. I do not think than anyone would have problems understanding the difference between immediate results and the final official results.

I would also suggest that those posters who think that they can do a better media relations job offer their services to the organiser of the next Worlds ;)
Yes, it would be certainly nice if AIDA or the event organizer had someone who would take care about PR and media. It is comprehensible that judges have enough of other things to do and cannot bother about releasing the data in the most stressing time during the competition.

BTW, any results from today? :)

Great pictures Kimmo!

Nice dive William, 200m or 198 is nothing to be ashamed of! I wonder how far you get no-fins?

Dave, congradulations on another World Record dive! According to your teammate William you came up pretty 'easy', how did de dive go for you?

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Hi, I've been planning to make a feature that initially all results are marked clearly "preliminary" or "not official" or something like that. And then only when the judge clicks "approve" or something, it is clearly shown that the result is now official.

That way people could follow developments in real time (or semi-real) but still it would not be official until protests etc are handled.

Back to topic, any news from today?

Not confirmed, but what i got was that as it stands now the Russian women and French men take the gold, unless the protests of the Greek are honoured in which case they win the mens gold. Exciting stuff......

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT