• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2014 lunocet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks good. The fin appears very small though. I wonder if Ted will offer a bigger version of the flukes...

Reactions: Ted Ciamillo
I have the 2014 Lunocete. I also have a waterway carbon fiber mono. I love them both but my preference is for the Lunocet. its lighter, less drag, less effort= less 02 used up musceling through the water. it is very fast BUT requires a different stroke movement to fully get the most out of it. in a couple online videos the diver is using his knees to propel the body w a down word stroke. For me the best results came from a full body u relation starting w the head curving through the spine and powering through the thighs w knees locked. I Actually try mi if the movement of a dolphin n dolophins don't have a knee n thus don't bend that way. these fins are incredible but because of the curve off the shoe they do not lie flat like a traditional mono when standing in shalloiw water. this means you could put too much pressure on the fin when standing in 4ft ogpf the shallow end of the pool causing the frame to push against the rubber skin and push through, so do not put your weight on them in shallow water.

It looks like to you make a too wide motion... maybe try doing like swimmers do the dolphin kick... shallower and higher frequency.
Just a suggestion...

It looks like to you make a too wide motion... maybe try doing like swimmers do the dolphin kick... shallower and higher frequency.
Just a suggestion...

The fluke set up is not powerful enough for me. Other people have clearly picked up on this including the maker of the fin itself.

Ola, Uberman. Rather like this, then?

2014 lunocet has more thrust in the down stroke. The above photo is the mantee not the dolphin. Dolphins clearly push down and down and down to accelerate and then maintain their swimming stroke.

It is not clear at this stage whether the mantee undulation with say a glide fin will produce an overall better propulsion than the 2014 lunocet??

That is the question that will be answered over the next 6 months!

Yes Fondueset. That's the way I believe is best suited to the lunocet fin.

You believe????

That is not good enough for me. I am going to be in the pool funnily enough with a lunocet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And film the development and progress!!

Be in it for the journey!!!!

You believe????

That is not good enough for me. I am going to be in the pool funnily enough with a lunocet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And film the development and progress!!

Be in it for the journey!!!!

I'm looking forward to your video reports Ben!

Ben - I posted the video as a question to Uberman regarding technique - I employ the same technique with the Orca but did not want to post that here.. Also - FYI - I am not getting full power in the video - my fin is soft, yet I am not fully activating the blade on the downstroke. I would characterize my pace and exertion in the video as moderate. A sprint pace would flex the blade more fully and involve a more dramatic downstroke - similar to a dolphin's when accelerating - as opposed to cruising which requires smaller movements due to the relative density of the water flowing over it's flukes.

An interesting test for either of you - ben and uberman - would be to take the lunocet into the pool - push off and glide as far as you can - then do one kick and see how far you get.

The point of interest for free divers - as distinct from fin swimmers - with these fins is energy conversation; not necessarily raw speed.
Trying to quantify this is really difficult! The above swim, for example, was done after about a 90 second swim over the same distance and with one minute between them. It took me a little over a minute to feel like I'd recovered enough to do it again. My best energy/speed compromise with the hyperfin seems to be about 1:15 -1:20 for 75 yards and I can do it with a variety of techniques - as little as two double-kicks per 25 - or as many as 11 undulations - and pretty much everything in between. But for me the idea has been to compare effort relative to speed and how I feel at the end after 'x' breathe-up.

I wish I had a lunocet in my fleet - it would make for some interesting (if really long and meticulous - I'd probably have to make a chart!) pool sessions.
Why did you post that video you are not wearing a lunocet?????

Last edited:
Reactions: vali and Kars
Hi Fondueset!!

Very good point made there and vital to investigate fully. I am very glad you have made that clear at the start. I will start investigating pushing off and gliding and trying different combinations. You are spot on with saying: 'to compare effort relative to speed!'
That is after all the main objective!
I'll start thinking about it and experimenting.

The fluke set up is not powerful enough for me. Other people have clearly picked up on this including the maker of the fin itself.
Do you know if there will be more then one fluke config or just it being changed (single config)?
thanks for all the reports

Hi Marginatus

There is the classic design that everyone is using at the moment and there will be bigger more powerful 'pro' flukes out soon. It will be configured the classic or the Pro!

Hi Marginatus

There is the classic design that everyone is using at the moment and there will be bigger more powerful 'pro' flukes out soon. It will be configured the classic or the Pro!
Great, I'll need the pro deluxe platinum ninja one then :p

I ordered and paid for a lunocet almost 2 years ago. (feb 2012) I paid Terrell Ciamillo $673.98 USD. I have had nothing but promises.
I have asked for a refund. I even tried to recover my money from paypal and mastercard but as I had left disputing this more than 90 days they wont assist.
Has anyone had a good experience dealing with Ted? Anyone actually received a lunocet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT