• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

2014 lunocet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for posting that, tak.

Interesting vid. The fin looks beautiful, but doesn't seem to be generating much thrust. Might be the technique being used. Interested to read Apneaaddicts review.

Reactions: tak_seo
I posted movie to YouTube, "2014 Lunocet How does it work?"

I tested it at Okinawa, Miyakojima.
I am not good at swimming. But it's so fun.
Please do not laugh, even if you see this.
Hi Seo-San,

You mentioned that the fin is pretty heavy
I've had one for a little while now and will be posting a detailed review in the next day or so...

Hint:
I'm going to the pool tonight and can take any of 6 fins in my basement and it's the 2014 Lunocet that I'll be taking.
I'd love to see a detail review!! Looking forward to that~

Hi Seo-San,

You mentioned that the fin is pretty heavy

I'd love to see a detail review!! Looking forward to that~

err... sorry guys, that was an unfinished reply, and i'm not sure how to edit it... anyway, Seo-San, you mentioned that it was pretty heavy, did you mean pretty heavy to carry around (on land) or pretty heavy to move around (in water)?

With my shoes, it's 4 lbs (as compared to 7 for a hyperfin) and with 2mm neoprene booties, slightly negatively buoyant.

More to come.

Oh... And a correction... I had 7 fins in my basement. :eek:

I also have one on loan and gave another away. LOL

Hi Seo-San,

A few swimming tips:
Keep your toes in line with your body.
Instead of pushing the fin down, pull in your hips and push your ass up.

Thank you for sharing your impression and video!

With my shoes, it's 4 lbs (as compared to 7 for a hyperfin) and with 2mm neoprene booties, slightly negatively buoyant.

More to come.

Oh... And a correction... I had 7 fins in my basement. :eek:

I also have one on loan and gave another away. LOL
http://www.deeperblue.com/review-2014-lunocet-monofin-part/Looks like some one got a review out before you~
Gosh... I really can't wait to try mine... I have already got my shoes ready but have absolutely NO idea when the fin will start shipping...

Thanks for the review. Look forward to the next part and hearing a bit more on the fin's performance.
All the best...

Great part one! With lots of real info and fitting suggestions!
I'm looking forward to part two, and matching video's.

Speed comparison, efficiency comparison, turns, depth and dynamic.

I think it may be more difficult to use at the end of the dynamic when the diver gets a bit narced and the coordination is much lower.
I expect the hyperfin to be more forgiving in that situation.

Nice job AA!

I've been testing Revan's fins for a few months now and I have a few general observations that I think will apply to the lunocet as well (I've tested two earlier iterations of the luno as well). These fins DO NOT like knee bend. Unlike a hyperfin, you can't load up the blade and push off because the foil on these fins will just stall - it gets no bite and just slides through the water at high angles. So, as Apneaddict mentions in his article, you're best off with good form. It can be large amplitude as long as you don't bend your knees. The luno blade is a bit wider than the Orca's - so it may tolerate knee bend a little more - but in some of the videos you can see it sliding through the water under bent knees. (hyperfins do this too - they just give you a little more for your bad technique) Personally I really like this about these fins - I like to swim with the undulation in my spine and hips, not my knees.

Another point is the ankle factor - with the Orca, and based on Apneaaddict's review - the Lunocet too - you can swim with your ankles. I've had no problem doing easy 18 second 25s moving only my ankles with the Orca. (However - I tried this with my Starfin - which has about a 28 degree blade angle - and could do the same thing. Bit more effort though) The ankle bit is very handy when you are moving among wary fishes - you can keep movement to a minimum. You can also incorporate it into your overall stroke to good effect. I'm still working on the timing, but it seems like it belongs sort of in the middle of a large amp stroke - rather than at the top or bottom.

I think both fins will also go well in a hands down posture - with smaller amplitude.

Also - having dealt with both Revan and Ted Ciamillo - I don't think you need to worry about either of these guys talking the other guy's products down to make sales. They are both great guys making extremely cool gear. Revan's background in engineering is going to effect his observations - but you shouldn't take that as marketing - his mind doesn't work that way :). They are both very honest and lacking in attitude.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kars and wtu2000
AA & Fonduest,

Just a quick one. Depth at plate and turning to come back up - have either of you got any news on how these fins behave/feel in that part of the dive. The Luno review sounds like "keep it moving" is the happy place, so wondered what swimming up from stationary when negative would feel like? Can they be comfortably loaded up to get you moving towards home again?

Thanks

G

I'm testing two versions of the Dol-fin. One is a recreational fin - with cycling shoes like the lunocet - and one is geared toward competing with a high-end hyperfin. Because I've not tested the Lunocet, I think its best if I keep specifics in a dedicated Dol-fin thread so that their relative merits or weak points don't get transposed.
I also don't want to distract from the subject of this thread - which is the Lunocet specifically, and Apenaddict's article about it.
Give me a couple days to get past the holidays and I'll start posting in the Dol-fin thread with my impressions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kars
Our demo day was small but good. I personally got to try out a lunocet, no other fin in the world like it! Truly powerful, my ankles and abs are screaming mostly because I played with it too much :) We will be uploading video from this weekend very soon, but here is the video from the first test run 11/02/2013. I have figured out how to get my dive boots into the cycling shoes so it's a little warmer on the toes.

OH, forgot to mention we do mermaid appearances so the fin is going to be part of the show, we are all just getting the hang of using it and swapping tanks underwater...so that's why the mermaids in the first half of the video.

AA & Fonduest,

Just a quick one. Depth at plate and turning to come back up - have either of you got any news on how these fins behave/feel in that part of the dive. The Luno review sounds like "keep it moving" is the happy place, so wondered what swimming up from stationary when negative would feel like? Can they be comfortably loaded up to get you moving towards home again?

Thanks

G
With weights you have to keep the Lunocet moving to stay up, even with 4lbs on you and no suit. Without like swim suit only, you can pause but it is much more comfortable to bend your knees and flip the fin a little with your ankles, you will actually hover a few inches up out of the water. If I really kick in a steady motion I can hover with both shoulder up out of the water. Even as heavy a fin as it is, I was at 22 feet and went to do a reg swap for the video we were shooting. Wasn't paying attention and let go of the rocks and BAM, I was 5 feet above my partner scrambling to get back down and in the frame. So its not going to drag you to the bottom if you stop moving.

AA & Fonduest,

Thanks

G

I haven't done any depth with it yet, due to it being -3* out today in Toronto, but will be taking it to the Keys later in the month and will report back / include my experiences / findings in pt. 2.

After wearing only the Lunocet for close to a month, I'm now a suck and it hurts to play UWH or squeeze into my hyperfin for more than :10 mins.

What a wimp I am!

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT