• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA Indoor Freediving World Championship 2009 - Århus

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
9 National Records to the Finns' Team! :):):):):):):):):) for that amazing achievement.
The latest was Jonerik's 210 m in DYN Finals!

And the way JonErik was fighting to get the protocol right,
truly Finnish SISU there... the fall roof liftet right up from the audience standig ovations...

Bjarte, you were great. How many meters have you improved for the last 6 motnhs? Sorry for my statement. I know it was hard for everyone. Goran, Guy, Frédéric, Natalia,.... all of them did impressive performances. I do admire it very much.

That`s ok, Michal! I`ve thought about these comments abit but it doesn`t bother me at all now. I`ve had pretty big improvements the last year. My Dyn qualifying of 216 was new Norwegian record with 72m! Before I came to Aarhus I had only done one DYN swim in training longer than 155m. So just imagine how happy I was when I came to the A-finals. I`m really looking forward to watching the uw-film of the DYN-final.
Bjarte

Reactions: TimoP
Ok, after a good night sleep.. I can wrote something, maybe a little bit smarter then a last time :)

First, tanx on congrats, it was a nice swim and I am happy with the distance, idea of turning the 250m flashed my mind around 240m mark, bud I decided to play it safe like I promised to my coach and team mates... I just hope Dave will not push it to 270m or more.. so Dave, please be gentle, let us other mortals with a chance ;)

There was a lot of things that impressed me in Denmark...
A relative new guys, that did a crazy swims for this king of competition, a high stress one and even more important. Guys like Bjarte, Michal Risian, Mikko, and many others...

Guy Brew was impressive, like all New Zealanders... Kathryn too. Natalia spoiled os all so wee kinda expected all that from her :)
I am sorry Alexey did not have his day in DYN, I have heard water was entering his Orca suit, so he lost like 5 kichs on every 50m he did... Sessa had a bad luck in DNF and kinda of a bad day in DYN, but than again silver is not a bad day ;)

Stig was.. well i have no words...
First day of CMAS qualifications, running all day, organizing stuff, filming.. then he put his mono on and did 200m while joking around... The next day when i saw him stretching and drinking his isotonic... I know that I will needed a big swim to beat him :) Crazy man... 239m with no training.. crazy.. crazy.. crazy...

Organization was perfect.. with that robbery and losing almost all equipment and cameras.. we did not feel the thing everything went like nothing happened at all, big thumbs up for that...

All in all a great experience!!!

My Dyn qualifying of 216 was new Norwegian record with 72m! Before I came to Aarhus I had only done one DYN swim in training longer than 155m. So just imagine how happy I was when I came to the A-finals.Bjarte
What ?!? You must be joking...
But if it's true, no easy times ahead for Mullins and Alexey...and Goran...and others fighting for the WR.
But how about Stig, is he just playing with others and not wanting to spoil others joy of winning?
Anyway, Stig seems to be in his own kategory.

We both got good value out of the 10EUROS we paid for free drinks:friday I`m guessing this picture will be in the next ad for paradisia nose-clips!!
But for that beer brand X it would be a problem: "Doesn't your X-beer smell good? No problem, use Paradisia and just drink it!"

Last edited:
Reactions: apneaboy
This reigns up there with one of the weirdest and most ambivalent experiences in my life so far.

On one hand we suffered the robbery, and I lost my personal laptop I had loaned to the organization. I only have an old backup from February, so a lot of files dear to me are lost forever.

But to hell with my laptop. Remember the name Kurt Lykke Larsen with reverence. I don't think he'll ever organize a world championship again, and I wouldn't hold it against him if he won't organize an Aarhus Triple Challenge again. He managed the impossible; handling a Thursday morning robbery and still had only an hour delay on the day. My personal thanks to those supplying private video cameras to get static qualification going that morning.

Remember the name Michael A. S. Hansen with reverence, the chairman of the Danish Sportsdiving Federation, the Danish CMAS. He is the man who got this to be a joint CMAS and AIDA event. In the hell of the robbery thing, someone quietly suggested to pull the prize money to minimize the financial loss and he would have none of it. That is testicles.

People got a beautiful world championship despite everything. And finally with CMAS and AIDA under the same roof. When I saw the six CMAS medalists and eighteen AIDA medalists presented at the same ceremony, I saw no CMAS or AIDA. I didn't hear people cheer AIDA-divers over CMAS-divers. I only saw freedivers cheering freedivers while the national anthem was played and the flags were raised. That's all that matters.

At some point after the AIDA dynamic men's final I had punched in the results as collected in chaos, made the rankings on screen and punched out to the flat-TV's to people. I'm exhausted as never before and can only focus on getting the info on that 13 inch laptop correct. Suddenly I hear noices right outside my window. Katsuya Hamazaki is jumping up and down in front of the TV, because I just typed in 'BRONZE' after his name.

That's all I want. That smile on people's faces when they surface and see white got me through that week. To hell with everything else.

And people liked mine and Bill S's apnea cards. Ran around having them autographed by the people present who were in the deck. Natalia had a full time job with that some days. That's a year and a half's work and nerdy effort. It's a limited edition now, 'cause the work files are lost.

Does anyone have video of the award ceremonies who can put them onto Youtube or something?

Does anyone have video of the award ceremonies who can put them onto Youtube or something?

NO! No video of the ceremony and following party online please... if memory serves... I don't want that out in public... If you guys want to know what it's like there... then get your ass up and come over for the next one.

You've got to be kidding, that ceremony was the most beautiful thing I have seen in freediving so far. People should see it.

But you know, what ever.

NO! No video of the ceremony and following party online please... if memory serves... I don't want that out in public... If you guys want to know what it's like there... then get your ass up and come over for the next one.
I can live with the ceremony, but anything that happened afterward should for ever be shrouded in mystery, legends and rumors.

No, for God's sake, not the party, please! I just wanted to see the ceremony with the raising of the flags and anthems and speeches and those things. I was arranging the damn thing, but I wasn't really present what with all that stress.

Attached in Excel are the final results from Aarhus collected from Pim Vermeulens many sheets.

Attachments

• Final results CMAS-AIDA Worlds 2009 Aarhus_2.zip
    123 KB · Views: 256
Surfacevideo of the mens DNF-final. I can see from the filming, Igor that you really believed in me. Thank you.
Sebastian: N y g a r d :fridaynot Nyberg
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvF6zdysNQI]YouTube - Bjarte Nygard's DNF 199m[/ame]

Reactions: Tony Babowicz
Surfacevideo of the mens DNF-final. I can see from the filming, Igor that you really believed in me. Thank you.
[/url]
We all did... I bet 200m and you stopped at like that?..!!!???
Congratulations wonderful swim, and thanks Igor for the movie.

Some people placed some big bets for me that I wouldn`t reach 200m. But I was so hypoxic I almost forgot:blackeye

We are the champions, we are the champions ... :friday
(sorry, I don't have STA photos)

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 169
  • a2.jpg
    a2.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 170
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 161
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 160
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT