• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

AIDA World championship indoor 2011- Lignano

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Rules must be updated before New Year also. I've got a feeling AIDA board spent all energy in Kill the Bill action and later came to long apnoea sleep.

I am on the Board and I can assure you ,that is not the case. We all have worked very hard - on EVERYTHING . We had an immense amount of repair work and catching-up to do!
Just look at the website and read the news .
http://aidainternational.org

Have you ever seen some spectators at a freediving competition? rofl
Well, put a group of aquagym or synchronized swimming somewhere near, or sell them some beer, and the dozen of spectators will be more than happy.
yes, i did: in Lignano of course!!
and we had no hotdog selling nor cheap beer, while the tenerife cmas wc had 3 people as far as i know

the problem is 99% of spectators are freedivers as well
maybe a transparent walls pool would make the difference...

yes, i did: in Lignano of course!!
and we had no hotdog selling nor cheap beer, while the tenerife cmas wc had 3 people as far as i know

the problem is 99% of spectators are freedivers as well
maybe a transparent walls pool would make the difference...

Well done to the organising team in Lignano. It was fun just following it on Facebook. We must recognise however that travelling in Italy is relatively easy. This is very unlikely to happen in a country like Canada where it cost much more to go from one coast to the other than to fly to Europe. The number of freedivers in the area makes a big difference as well. I don't think transparent walls would make a difference.

Btw i'm waiting dave's annuncemente, since herbert is going to break the 300 mt barrier, i wanna see mr mullins touching the 300 mt in pool since now goran is the new world record holder in dyn!!!

Thanks, Antonella! I am just embedding it here directly:

I have added it also to the ranking. If there are any other videos or photos available, everyone is welcome to complete the data in the ranking at APNEA.cz ranking - 6th AIDA Individual Pool World Championship 2011 - there is a small "add" link at every result, just click it and add the URL of a video or a photo of the given performance. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Here is a couple of pictures from Lignano if somebody may have not seen them yet: http://freediving.pictures.fi/kuvat/2011/Lignano/ (more will follow soon)

And a quick comment about the sleeping Aida Board (in earlier comments in this thread). Please remember to login at Aida website to receive Aida news in your email automatically. Please read also the Aida Board meeting news at that same site to get a picture what kind of work has been done since new Board started. I guarantee that at least I have not been sleeping at all. Neither I did not sleep in Lignano while taking care of the results, judging and the PR-stuff :)

And a bit off topic too:
Aida votes Education officer, Technical officer and Aida president positions before the end of this year. So I´m willing to encourage you all to find some good candidates. I´m a pretty sure that Aida competition regulation will not change itself. We need an active Aida technical committee to make it happen (please read Aida statutes at Aida website where this responsibility is mentioned). Please consider also on the possibility that the current Aida president may be willing to step aside from that position in very near future. I heard this from the Aida president itself some time ago.

Last but not least couple of personal opinions:
I have been against grabbing rule and touch rule since they were added in the Aida competition regulations. Every freediver knows that we teach grabbing from the beginning of the freediving career for everybody for a good safety reasons, also in the freediving education world wide. Although couple of people has been willing to write, and keep, that stupid grab rule in the Aida competition rulebook for a reason or another.
Touch rule is the same. The idea in the rule is a pretty much ok (in good old days some teams tried to hide BO and PBMM symptoms behind cheering with the teams) but the way how the rules has been written does not support this sport at all. In a clean dives, like Goran´s case, there should not be any excuses to disqualify the great performances just because somebody was willing to congratulate a great athlete who deserved it. Or in static apnea where the coach may keep his/her hand on the athlete back when the athlete will end his/her performance. In most of the cases the athlete does not even feel this touch.

br,

- kimmo, or president of Aida

Last edited:
Reactions: Kars and trux
Thanks for the very nice photo's Kimmo!
Thanks for the good work you and the other AIDA members and staff delivered!

I hope the rules get improved so Freediving rules make sense to outsiders as well.

But I hope people do keep the discipline to keep distance upon surfacing of an athlete.
Surely this competition too was full of useful lessons.

i just wanted to say that i am glad i was there :)...

the organization was great... we stayed right next to the pool... pool was awesome (but toooo long for DNF) ... the lasagna excellent... organization people and safety divers were nice and friendly... aida judges were.. just (but grab rule was universally hated)... and Kimmo was all over!

live streaming was fantastic...but the english commentary could have been a liiiittle better .... (Sebastian we missed u)

most top divers were present...it was a delight to meet, chat and get their wisdom :friday

many thanks to Aida and Europe Evolution for making it happen...

and Big Congratulations to All the Winners and especially to Goran and Fred! :thankyou

Thank you for the video Antonella, I see the censored version is published and the champagne opening is cut in length to a normal one :)

My personal opinion about the AIDA rules...

I in general like all AIDA rules, I only have problems with post blackout movements and pulling or grab. PBM is a OK idea but the problem with this rule is that it can not be objective. It is subjective to the judge interpretation and that is bad. On top of that LMC looks rather different from athlete to athlete, and you can not with certainty say what is PBM and what is LMC. Touch rule, well I do not think we need to explane that again, we all know everything about that one, but it is hard to define it so it can be objective. Touching still have to be forbidden because there is a fine line between helping one and touching him... someone smarter then me has to put together a few logical sentences about it but in general touch is OK any kind of assistance is a red card.

And the pulling rule, well to be honest I dont have problems with this one. It is not to hard to dive out and then grab the edge of the pool. I never had a pulling penalty in my life, not because judge did not see it (that is like common in competitions) but because I do a simple thing of diving out first and then garbing the wall or a line. That can be indicator of clearness to, if a diver is 100% clean he will probably not do a pulling violation, diver in trouble probably will. Similar like dropping the small weight in CMAS competitions, looks stupid but it is not only for distance measuring, it is also to make sure you dive out clean... like I sad clean diver will remember the diver in trouble will forgot...

Well that is just my 2c theory.

Last edited:
Concerning the touch rule, the idea was good, but it disrupts the excitement of the sport in many ways.

If you want examples, watch Pierre Frolla exit from his -73m free immersion record in 2000, or watch Claude Chapuis come up from static at the World Cup in 2000 (with enough time for his team to win the world championships). The immediate celebration, high fives, cheering-- priceless. That was in the day before the touch rule. Now, with both the touch rule and the 30-second rule, the diver comes up and there is silence and terror until the white card is given. Which is one reason Herbert and his team staged the mock no-limits dive after the real record, so they could have a media friendly celebration after his surfacing.

Also, with the no-touch rule, it's easy to accidentally disqualify someone if you're at the end of a static and into the every-15-seconds signals and you're in the middle of tapping them right as they surface. In this case you are by definition touching as required safety and possibly 'rousing them to respond' but could cost them their points if their airway breaks the surface.

Now, with both the touch rule and the 30-second rule, the diver comes up and there is silence and terror until the white card is given.

A few suggestions for rules:

1. Judges MUST smile throughout

2. Two or more 'designated chatters' behind the judges MUST keep making small talk and other noises

3. Judges have no more than 1s to look down, find the right card and show it. No smirky, mysterious smiles while they are messing about with cards

4. If not a white card, people behind the judge MUST push judge in the pool

A few suggestions for rules:

4. If not a white card, people behind the judge MUST push judge in the pool

Then the crowd (paid for by the organizers) MUST cheer immediately. If they fail to cheer within 3 seconds of the judges hitting the water, they all must stand immobile with a smile on their faces for the rest of the competition in order to improve media photo ops.

This interval MUST be verified by laser chrono.

Judges could ask safety to take a step back.

Touching,

Some ideas: Upon surfacing safety/coach should hold hands up and distance himself from the athlete, avoiding touching, unless the athlete is clearly BO. Safety waits for Judge direction or card unless the athlete is clearly BO and or dipping the airway(S) back into the water.
A wave coming over face of surfaced stable athlete is not a reason for red card.

BTW about those floats, why are safeties carrying those? I suppose it's for those that do not surface near a line or wall. The danger of touch with such small floats (enough stable support?) is present as the safeties are usually trailing a (monofin)diver.

Grabbing.
I know of at least one occasion where during a WC such dive was the winning dive. I'm not sure if the WR was validated. But I think the uninitiated audience will find it a silly rule. A simple limitation of two hands grabbing before surfacing could allow one to surface naturally.

I think the rules should make sense to the layman in order to have our sport more publicly accepted.

Now without joking, on a serious note: when we are at the rules changes - I just found out on Facebook from one of the very top Czech female competitors, that women breast work like car spoilers, and the bigger they are, the better hydrodynamics, better glide, and lesser drag. So in fact men and flat women are in a big disadvantage. That's completely unjust and must be put right by the rules! It's a shame AIDA did not do anything about it yet. I have to agree with Osusim that they are all completely asleep when they did not act against such injustice until now!

The unnamed female competitor promised to send me the physical theory and all necessary formulas, so that I can incorporate corrective factors into the ranking. It will be done promptly (perhaps tonight already). I will just need that every female competitor sends me a photo of their breasts. Personal measurement by myself or by an approved jury is another alternative. I'll be the head of the jury and will appoint its members (bribes are welcome).

Unfortunately on FB, some women already requested money for their photos. To avoid that, 10m will be deduced by default from every female performance (5m at depth disciplines), and only after delivering the photo, or being personally measured, the penalty will be corrected to correspond to the real breast size.

Men do not need to bother sending their photos.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT