• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

C4 Graphite shooting line not sitting tight around the line release? Help?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
On this photo see how the line snakes back and forth on the top deck.
10.jpg

Okay it seems like it's not the length of the barrel that determines the trigger mech. Apparently there are 2 versions of the C4 Graphite. One with my line release on top of the trigger mech and the other is forward.

On this photo see how the line snakes back and forth on the top deck.
10.jpg
Yes but this one has a forward facing mech. like the gun in the video, which uses the line guide under the gun. And from that image I see that the shooting line is also really close to the edge, like mine, and without a backward hook to keep the line, it looks like the entire shooting line will pop out the moment the gun hits a rock or bump into something.

Why not ask Carbon C4 how the gun wraps? Given the huge number of guns sold I don’t see why your gun should have a problem.
Carbon C4 Urukay rigging.jpg

Your Graphite model has the Urukay style muzzle, i.e. two plates flanking the nose of the gun.

Last edited:
Why not ask Carbon C4 how the gun wraps? Given the huge number of guns sold I don’t see why your gun should have a problem.
Yeah I already sent them an email. WIll see what happens. Just thought people here might have an insight and reply quicker

I suggest that you closely study the Urukay line wrapping photo shown above or at larger scale on the website.

Just found this diagram that I did some years ago. It is sort of an X-ray view as you can see through the gun body from the right hand side inverted view shown at the bottom
wrap2.jpg

Last edited:
I suggest that you closely study the Urukay line wrapping photo shown above or at larger scale on the website.
Yes that's how I originally wrapped it before I noticed the line guide. So this is how the shooting line looks on the line release right now. Does it look right to you? For me it kinda looks flimsy and just 'hangs in there' Doesn't feel secure at all. Like if I would put it in a bag inside a car, after a bumpy ride I got a feeling it will get all tangled up

Attachments

• 61250470_447321686029426_3677663427641212928_n.jpg
    61250470_447321686029426_3677663427641212928_n.jpg
    545.9 KB · Views: 265
  • 61224787_453592682076580_4948602782341922816_n.jpg
    61224787_453592682076580_4948602782341922816_n.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 248
  • 61458305_360126991304019_5185884641520779264_n.jpg
    61458305_360126991304019_5185884641520779264_n.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 257
And in the pictures they are wrapping with dyneema. Perhaps that's why the wrap is so tight around the line release?
I am using monofilament and monos are really hard so they don't wrap easily

Yes that's how I originally wrapped it before I noticed the line guide. So this is how the shooting line looks on the line release right now. Does it look right to you? For me it kinda looks flimsy and just 'hangs in there' Doesn't feel secure at all. Like if I would put it in a bag inside a car, after a bumpy ride I got a feeling it will get all tangled up
Yes, I think that is more like it. When I transport my guns they are not rigged for shooting, I just wrap the line from end to end. Rigged for the shot is all about the line pulling away freely, then it just has to stay in place while swimming and diving with the gun. Long term storage and for gun transport I keep the line off the wrapping points to avoid sharp kinks.

Last edited:
That is a very poorly designed line release. Hopefully someone with a C4 gun can tell you whether they are all like that.
Yes, I think that is more like it. When I transport my guns they are not rigged for shooting, I just wrap the line from end to end. Rigged for the shot is all about the line pulling away freely, then it just has to stay in place while swimming and diving with the gun. Long term storage and for gun transport I keep the line off the wrapping points to avoid sharp kinks.
Okay so I just found this video of a Spanish (?) guy talking about 2 models of C4 Graphite with 2 different line releases. From 1:45 to 2:10. The first model has a line release like mine and the second model has a forward line release.
Anyone able to understand Spanish can help me understand what he's saying about those models?

576d18efb5901ab2cc99accb9819c489.jpg

You can clearly see in the picture how the shaft sits all the way to the right inside the mechanism. If you move it to the middle or the left does it influences the position of the line release ?

I believe the version with the line release inside the mechanism is the most recent version of the gun.

576d18efb5901ab2cc99accb9819c489.jpg

You can clearly see in the picture how the shaft sits all the way to the right inside the mechanism. If you move it to the middle or the left does it influences the position of the line guide?
for some reasons I can't. I mean I can move the shaft left and right, but the moment the shooting line is hooked tight to the line release, the line release pushes up to the shaft and the shaft returns to that position.

Forget about the video, just try the rigging out by pulling on the line as if during a shot to see how it pulls away from the gun. You will soon see if it tangles or not. That is what I do when I set up a new gun which I built myself and am checking it out. Because the Urukay window style muzzle means that the line winds in and around the muzzle structure you have to pay close attention to the wrap sequence and the run of the line along the gun body.

for some reasons I can't. I mean I can move the shaft left and right, but the moment the shooting line is hooked tight to the line release, the line release pushes up to the shaft and the shaft returns to that position.

I think that is where the problem is.

The line release should clearly be more backwards and the shaft shouldn’t be pushed out of center when there is some tension on the line. That is not acceptable in any case.

Hard to say what exactly the problem is but my best guess is either the shape of the line release inside the mechanism is off. Or the line release isn’t assembled correctly. Or...

You can also see that the slot for the line release is much wider and that it can be positioned more backwards.

Personally I would feel comfortable to take the mechanism out and take it apart trying to fix the issue

Not sure if it would void your warranty though.

Forget about the video, just try the rigging out by pulling on the line as if during a shot to see how it pulls away from the gun. You will soon see if it tangles or not. That is what I do when I set up a new gun which I built myself and am checking it out. Because the Urukay window style muzzle means that the line winds in and around the muzzle structure you have to pay close attention to the wrap sequence and the run of the line along the gun body.
My concern isn't tangling the way you mean
More like the line will pop out of the line release without me pulling the trigger, that's what I think will happen

My concern isn't tangling the way you mean
More like the line will pop out of the line release without me pulling the trigger, that's what I think will happen
If you do the wrap sequence properly then the line will not pop off the end of the lever. The reason why it was coming off before is that it was pulling up at an angle created by wrapping the shooting line strands against the bulge of the gun body which is incorrect. Trust me as after 40 years of spearfishing I know what I am talking about.

If the store is local, take it back and have them fix it. If they can't, tell them you want your money back.

If the store is local, take it back and have them fix it. If they can't, tell them you want your money back.
Are you sure the there is really a problem with the trigger mech.? Because in lots of pictures the line release is always pulled forward by the shooting line's tension.
I attach some pics of other people's C4 Graphite here.
Do you think these guns also have the same problems as I do?

Attachments

• Graphite-C4-132.JPG
    Graphite-C4-132.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 309
  • podvodna-puska-c4-graphite-116-slika-59048791.jpg
    podvodna-puska-c4-graphite-116-slika-59048791.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 255
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT