• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Custom spearguns pictures

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Green_Griffin, that gun is awesome!!! Extraordinary craftsmanship! You will kill many fish with this jewel, I’m sure!
As for the finishing, I use 3 coats of epoxy to impregnate the wood and then 3 coats of polyurethane varnish to protect the epoxy from sunlight, which turns the epoxy yellow and eventually will destroy it. If you can get hold of polyurethane varnish with UV protector it would be the best choice. You can also leave the gun with just the epoxy, without any varnish, but you must keep it away from direct sunlight.
My guns do scratch a lot but I don’t consider this a big issue as I varnish them once in a while (once every season I guess). When they get too many scratches, I just polish the surface with fine sandpaper and apply one coat of varnish and the guns become as good as new.
I’m sure you will love that Imersion handle. It is so comfortable and holds the 19 mm bands very well. The trigger is very smooth and has two positions. I put it on the second to have more prompt response :)
I liked the handle so much that I copied its design on my second gun which is made entirely of wood. You can see some pictures at [ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=62836"]Here's my second attempt[/ame]

How many bands is the Imersion handle safe to hold?

Dobs said:
I’m sure you will love that Imersion handle. It is so comfortable and holds the 19 mm bands very well. The trigger is very smooth and has two positions. I put it on the second to have more prompt response :)
I liked the handle so much that I copied its design on my second gun which is made entirely of wood. You can see some pictures at http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=62836

Hi OregonSpearo, I'm not sure exactly how many bands it can safely hold, but the muzzles of the Imersion guns are designed for two bands, so I suppose two 16 mm, or even two 18mm bands would be fine with the trigger mechanism. I use it with shortened 19mm band and it works fine. Never had any misfire accidents.

First epoxy layers

Green_Griffin,
- You used a think epoxy layer at first. I assume it is to impregnate the wood. Did you thin it with acetone or any thinner so it gets inside of the wood?
- Also what is the reason why subsequent layers you added were still wet when you sanded? Why did you not let them dry first?
- Also what properties are improved with a 2:1 hardner mix like the one you used?

- To experiment, I had delivered less than a drop of resin with a syringe on the surface of a dummy wood to observe it's penetrating powers. After cross secting the wood realized that that it had entered more than 5mm into the wood. Thus I decided not to thin the epoxy.
- As I explained in the Implementation part on the website, when one applies a very thin layer of epoxy one is risking that the energy required for curing is not reached due to heat loss to large suface area to volume ratio. Thus the product will never cure and remain tacky. The only solution to this is to apply a futher coat on the tacky surface with a slightly higher ratio of hardener:resin. Humidity and room temperature also effect the curing.
-The epoxy ratio of 2:1 is standard specific to the product I was using. Did not try to improve anything. The agent only had this Brand and I bought it. I like it cause it is slow curing thus more penetration, workability and strength.

Lately I still haven't seen anything worth puncturing with my new toy.

GriffiN :) ---> <*))))>< People unaware of the sea lead plastic lives

[ame="http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?t=63610"]My roller[/ame]

My buddy, aka Mivel25 is in the contruction phase of a 100 speargun. The handle he is going to use is from a 75 Lanara speargun. The following pic outlines the basic shape the speargun is gonna be shpaed into. On our website one can find more pics of our huntilng tools.

Attachments

• Fig07.jpg
    Fig07.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 271
Small, Spare Pneumatic for Crevices

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I still have to take pics of my buddy's almost finished masterpiece. Still requires some slight adjustments.

I know this thread is about custom spearguns but since this thread is my favourite and undoubtfully is scanned by most members I thought I would get a faster reply to my query...
Hi to all,
I am not a true fan of pneumatics, I am more into wooden guns. I live in Malta (small Island in the mid of the med) and go hunting with a custum made 115 wood-euro hybrid. The problem is that somtimes I get these prize fish in creces where my long gun cannot be manouvered into.
Thus I opted to start carrying a small pneumatic (preferably attached to my leg) for these situations. I have searched the net and came up with Mares Mini-mini and mini sten. Sporasub also manufacture something with a leg holster.

Any of you own the guns mentioned above? What is your opinion?
Furthermore any other brands make small guns with a leg holster?
What about the prices, aren't they too much for such a small gadget or am I underestimating these guns.

Thanks for your wisdom.

Green_griffin
People unaware of the sea lead plastic lives.

Hello to everybody.I very to this forum.Funny ,but I never see anybody post yet about building pnumatic gun ( no offence to rubber guns :) Originally I born in Russia,and lot of hunters use home made pnumatics guns.Lot of power ,much better than any factory bult gun . I don't buld one yet for my self ( lack of time ) ,but I will do this some day :) I will try post some fotos.
Thank you

Attachments

• ryzhe.bmp
    357.5 KB · Views: 376
I thought about a 100-110 cm gun using 2x20mm or 3x17mm rubbers with 7mm spear dopple flopper and either an omer T20, beuchat, imersion and if i could get aywhere from id like a rabitech Handle.

is this setup possible or will those handles explode

Is 7mm spear enough for this rubbers or do i have to get a thicker one?

I thought about 5 pieces of laminat reeinforce with carbone (between th laminates)
All in a sepia shaped form,
the ony thing i worry about is drilling the holes for the rubbers do they need to have an specific ankle to where the spear comes in the trigger mech, for best performence?

i thought about getting trigger mech and the holes on one even line would be the best , iguess?

thx

Hiya

Harpune1, WHAT fish are you shooting that you need 2x20mm's or 3x17mm's ??

Most euro type guns are designed to hold a maximum of 2x16mm bands. Some can handle more, but rather consider 2x16mm's to be the MOST a euro type mech. can handle.

If you're really keen on building a blue water cannon, rather buy a Riffe or Aimrite mechanism. These are very strong and can easily handle your required power.

Pm deeperblue member, Danman. He has recently started building his own wooden guns and they look very good. He should be able to help as well.

Regards
miles

Hi Harpune 1,
I agree with Miles, 2x20mm or 3x17mm rubbers are a bit heavy for the Med, what are you after?
7mm? I'd prefer 6.5 or 6.3mm
Laminating with carbon fibre is a good idea but not that necessary since the wood acts as a mesh in its own physical properties.
As for the place to install the bands I would prefer to put the band holes on the lowest part of the barrel away from the spearshaft channel. Thus making most of the barrel compressional strength.
Regards

hi folks
im going to a trip to dubai in summer and planned to use this gun there:)

i think that a beuchat mundial handle couls hold 3x16 easiliy?
am i wrong??

i really would like to get a stronger trigger mech but where from?

thx for ur input

Ps: dont you think that some carbon layers would give some extra stiffness to the gun?

The merou mechanism/handle can take 200kg or 440lb of band pull. It takes rob allen universal spears very well. The mechanism is made of stainless steel with a 2mm stainless housing, 3mm pins and 5mm laser cut internals. The handle is made from glass filled nylon and they look great.

Not sure how much force a standard 16mm band exherts but even if its 100lb your still well in the safety margin...hell the wong ono guns mech is rated to 600lb! Only 160lb more than the merou!

Hiya

I shoot 3x16mm's with a 8mm spear on my 57" wooden gun and 4x16mm's with a 8mm spear on my 63" wooden gun. The 8mm spear handles 4x16mm's quite well.

I also own a rear handled wooden gun that uses a beuchat mundial grip to hold 3x16mm's. How-ever, very few, if any manufacturers of a euro mech. will guarantee their mech's if you're using more than 2x16mm's.

Having a mechanism that can't handle the power is dangerous to you and your dive partner. I've seen my buddy's old cavelero grip break just as he loaded his second band. (that grip was probably 20+years old) The spear shot out and the handle whacked him in the chest. Fractured his ribs. Took him more than 4months before he could dive properly again. So get the BEST mechanism you can get for your new powerfull gun!!

Regards
miles

Attachments

• a1.JPG
    a1.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 283
  • a2.JPG
    a2.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 265
  • a3.JPG
    a3.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 289
  • a4.JPG
    a4.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 276
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT