• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DeeperBlue.com Announce 2014 UK Member Meet

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Herm is great, however something on Guernsey would appeal a bit more to me now with the sprog etc.

Liking the idea of a BBQ and eating the catch, although it's obviously a bit more of a challenge to organise etc.

French? Mediterraneanian?? How about a Scottish Party? I'll even bring the music :) :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390489220.736175.jpg

OK but, apart from the huge amount of work involved, what are you planning if we get a force 5 or 6 blowing straight in or even more to the point... rain? It would be difficult to organise a back up venue with short notice...?

Of course & in principle it is a great idea (fantastic idea if we could guarantee the weather)

I do agree that we should eat far more of the catch this year, my cooking plate was pretty new last year but I think we can now coupe with fried fish!

I have been thinking about the Friday night meet, we have enjoyed the Piette but how about we try the Wayside Cheer hotel this year?
It is out of town but cheap & cheerful! Of course the Jersey guys will be totally bladdered especially considering they only have to walk up a few steps to bed LOL

However for the Sat night I have not come up with a solution to satisfied every body as yet......

As Stephan has mentioned DB wont be sponsoring the Saturday evening to the same extent as previous years but we hope to provide a great 'free' evening on the Sunday ;)

on-island is a very good idea, as Grant said it would assist with looking after little people.
how about the beach bbq as a plan A and a booked sheltered location for a plan B. lihou is already booked which is a shame.
wayside... hmmm...

The problem I have Jonny, would be booking a covered venue for 50 people & then cancelling it a few days before we are meant to be there. I don't think that is very fair on the establishment mid summer in Guernsey?
However if you are prepared to look into the situation then that is great by me.

What is wrong with the Wayside, they have the room, cheap & reasonable food (£10 house whine) live music?

Finding a venue in Guernsey that will turn away regulars on a sat nigh to accommodate 50 folk is a challenge full stop.

Reactions: jerseymike
Go with the Scottish theme.......on the beach, no bad weather contingencies, and if the weather becomes a problem you simply haven't drunk enough or just need to MTFU! wear a kilt and sleep where you fall! :D

(Sorry maybe not constructive but thought I'd add it?! ;) )

I'm sure something will come to mind - one thing is for sure you will never please everyone whatever is decided so don't worry too much. It is the deciding that counts ;)

Reactions: denian
wayside... hmmm... good idea...

Stephan is there coin for a marquee hire? or similar..

@Jonny250 there is.

What I suggest is taking this offline - i'll setup a staff discussion on this - we can come back with the options for Fri and Sat nights.

I had a group of bubble blowers over last September, who stayed at Grandes Rocques Hotel. The chef was happy to cook up their catch in the evening. Worth thinking about?

Reactions: Jonny250
Guys The peninsular hotel has made us an offer ....

I would like to thank you for your enquiry regarding a group booking for 2014.

With regards to dates 01st & 02nd August, at the moment we do have availability for double and
twin rooms, but we are getting very limited.

Please see below details of our special summer offer which is based on a minimum 3 night stay,
however we are happy to offer this to you on a minimum 2 night stay.

SUMMER offer £57 per person per night based on a minimum 3-night stay including:
01st July – 31st August
        • Bed & Breakfast Basis
        • Based on 2 persons sharing
        • Free Hire Car (excluding petrol and insurance)

Please note that, for group bookings, we would require a non-refundable deposit of the first night’s accommodation
to secure the booking and full payment for the group at least 4 weeks prior to arrival

Pleased read Terms and Conditions attached.

I look forward to hearing from you again soon. If you require any further help or assistance, please do not hesitate
to contact me.

Yours sincerely,

Ann Coquelin
Reservations Manager
The Peninsula Hotel
Tel: 01481-248400

No they can contact the hotel direct & just mention the diving, includes a hire car & it is a nice hotel too.

Folks - we have 27 people registered for the event and 19 places filled for the Spearo event. Currently have plenty of spaces for the Freediving part of the event.

If you are interested in the Spearo event please let me know so we can register you. Once all spaces are filled you can still join the event but only as a Freediving or non-diving attendee.

Looks like it is gearing up to be an awesome event this year!

That's it on the Spearfishing front - we are at capacity. Any registrations from now will only be accepted as Freediving or non-diving.

just caught up with this thread! going back to the theme, how about Guern/ it would be interesting to see what the non-locals came up with! Otherwise, French is good, or of course fish themed. Mermaids and lobsters?

Reactions: foxfish
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT