• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Euro vs. American???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
A Message From Your Friendly Forum Mentor...

Originally posted by divefan
This is a more sofisticated site where people are encouraged to voice their opinions in a gentleman/gentlewoman like manner. If, you want to let it hang out and talk smack I'll give you my phone number and we can do it over the phone. Otherwise, let it drop.

Please keep this civilized & on track. This forum section is called Hunting Equipment. Please keep it at that & refrain from any & all personal attacks or comments. All bickering does is detract from the productivity of the discussion.

Originally posted by mishu1984
i only wish i made that much sense when i am drunk :duh
Problem is when you only make sense when you'r drunk :confused:
Where's my glass? ;)

hey that is when you have to make sense, because all the ladies look like models and you think you are actually dancing when all you are doing is staring at a woman that looks like a catfish and wailing your arms and legs about.... :D

Got the message, Fuzz!

If it's personal I usually don't care much, but when somebody's insulting my country in order to get to me, I tend to hear drums and galloping hoofs! Then the only thing left is to grab the horse's tail flag of the yoghurt makers! ;)

But in this case I'd leave the anger recoil - I+BD = -(F+KA) (insult + bad diplomacy = - (fury + kick in the arse)) kick me back to a bar in Istanbul. There I can invite Murat and feed him on yoghurt till he falls flat on his back and irrigate Alison with 50% turkish grape raki till she gets unconsciousnessly reasonable! Mishu is invited to have a full-cream catfish hunt! :D

Whoever survives after that shall be punished to carve a 130 "Master America" from a full sized ebony trunk with a Gillette Sensor (old model) so we can finally involve Africa in the whole thing and have a full flavoured pot of....! Then we can start the whole argument all over cause the ebony lacks buoyance... :duh

The disgusted spectators can run away to Antalia and have a recuperating dive!

The Diarist of Appocalypse! :D

You know, I'm still wondering what true yogurt tastes like...

Fuzz,

I don't think you really want to know... :)
All the info you need is that it's made of mare's milk... Really high-cream stuff!

But you can't find "true" yoghurt anymore. The regular one is made in Bulgaria and is called "sour milk" to separate it from the actual yoghurt... and is made of cow milk. A French company "Danone" bought the biggest factory and now adds all kinds of crazy flavours to it... But still produces the regular stuff too...

There is however a great home-made type of "sour milk" made of bufallo's milk that you can eat with a fork and a knife - real strong stuff! :)

We also make a real dellicious summer cold soup made of watered sour milk (some regions thin it with regular milk), finely cut fresh cucmbers with fresh dill and garlic, some crushed walnuts and and few drops of vegetable oil. You don't cook it at all... Just mix those and serve... Now I wouldn't be surprised if Murat has the same stuff - called "tarator" locally...

Cheers!

Please keep this civilized & on track. This forum section is called Hunting Equipment

Thank you Fuzz. You won't get any argument from me.

Frankly, I would rather hear about Alison's fantasies and her drinking and the Turkish-Bulgaria yoghurt debate. :D

Originally posted by Wishbone

We also make a real dellicious summer cold soup made of watered sour milk (some regions thin it with regular milk), finely cut fresh cucmbers with fresh dill and garlic, some crushed walnuts and and few drops of vegetable oil. You don't cook it at all... Just mix those and serve... Now I wouldn't be surprised if Murat has the same stuff - called "tarator" locally...

Cheers!

We call it "CACIK":D

Ayran recipe: Put 5-6 soup spoon yogurt to the mixer then dried mint halt tea spoon salt and 2-3 glass of COLD water. And mix it for few seconds. Quantities can change according to personal preference. This is the modern way of making ayran the traditional way is more crazy type...

EURO vs AMERICAN

If you can't dive don't get any of them. Like the way i did today and yesterday. I started to go hunting with good diving buddy. He hunts and i help him. I watch at the top, take his fish at the 15-20 meter to let him ascend easily.And he watch me when i dive hit the personal best without much difficulty and fear while he is wating for me at the top. Hit the 22 meters next time will try 26;)

Re: Please keep this civilized & on track. This forum section is called Hunting Equipment

Originally posted by divefan
I would rather hear about Alison's fantasies and her drinking and the Turkish-Bulgaria yoghurt debate. :D

My Fantasies? I dont have any;) Ive lived them all :p . My drinking, well that is the usuall backlash from being let out of Qatar for any length of time :D hic :eek:
But the Turkish-Bulgaria yoghurt debate! Im genuinely interested in, Ive tasted the kind of creamy mares milk Yoghurt that Ivan is on about, I have a good friend in Bishkek, Kyrgystan, Ive spent a couple of months up there and its still one of the mainstay foodstuffs there. I had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks on horseback traveling around in the Tien Shan mountains with some nomadic people, a wonderfull experience with wonderfull people :)

Originally posted by Murat
Ayran recipe: Put 5-6 soup spoon yogurt to the mixer then dried mint halt tea spoon salt and 2-3 glass of COLD water. And mix it for few seconds. Quantities can change according to personal preference. This is the modern way of making ayran the traditional way is more crazy type...

Hey! I can see you've even made some alterations to the ayran recipe, but I still have to try it before I can call them improvements! The mint stuff is new to me!
Guys, you really gotta try the ayran! One cup of that thing (add ice!) at noon and you feel refreshed and you don't need any lunch! By the way... this time even the name is the same. And oh, man does it go well with any anise drink (like ouzo or pastis) in the summer heat!

Originally posted by Alison
I have a good friend in Bishkek, Kyrgystan, Ive spent a couple of months up there and its still one of the mainstay foodstuffs there. I had the opportunity to spend a couple of weeks on horseback traveling around in the Tien Shan mountains...

Alison, you are lucky to have crossed the same road our ancestors travelled some 1400 years ago when they moved to where now Bulgaria is during the Great migration... I am ashamed to tell you that, but they couldn't even swim back then - only horseback riding and sore arses! But they got to team up with the Slavs, who used this very peculiar and on topic military trick:
They covered themselves with aquatic plants and waited paitently sometimes for days laying in the water, breathing through a straw... And when the enemy approached the water... Surprise! :)
That's probably why we know quite a lot about the spearfishing ambush technique. Heh! :D
And don't say you've lived all your dreams... That's a terrible thing! Cheers! ;)

Ivan

Re: Re: Please keep this civilized & on track. This forum section is called Hunting Equipment

Originally posted by Alison
...My drinking, well that is the usuall backlash from being let out of Qatar for any length of time :D hic :eek:

hehe i know the feeling :friday :friday :friday :friday :friday :friday

Originally posted by Wishbone

But they got to team up with the Slavs, who used this very peculiar and on topic military trick:
They covered themselves with aquatic plants and waited paitently sometimes for days laying in the water, breathing through a straw... And when the enemy approached the water... Surprise! :)
That's probably why we know quite a lot about the spearfishing ambush technique. Heh! :D
And don't say you've lived all your dreams... That's a terrible thing! Cheers! ;)

Ivan
Well there's a solid link with spearfishing and yoghurt ;) Eat Mares yoghurt! your Aspetto times will improve by weeks ;)
As for living my dreams? well Ive lived the ones I suspect DF was refering to rofl but I have plenty more to keep me going :) but they are to share with my fiance :cool:
Yes I was lucky to have crossed the same road your ancestors, that was an experience few outsiders will have, one I shall never forget

Hey Murat,

Thanks for the ayran recipe...now how about raki?:D Cok tesekuler abicim. sagol.

Hm...
The only link I've ever made was that the yoghurt neutralizes any extra acidity in the stomach and is great before diving... But that might be a good merchandize idea. Mares Ayran - A divemilk for divefans!
It's good that you can involve your fiance in your dreams. I usually don't have the time to do it, cuz I'm constantly involved im my fiance's dreams, and sometimes I don't really want to. Like the last time she dragged me to a concert of some Japanese traditional musician, she had a dream to see. I love everything Asian, so nothing against the Japeanese here, but when i walked out of that concert I finally realized why they invented the harakiri...

Cingene, mate... It's 9 o'clock in the morning! Let's wait at least till noon before we jump on the raki... :)

Cheers!

Raký is something difficult to make even for me:D

appetizer for Raki, melon, yogurt, fish , tomatoes...

Yogurt

American yogurt is better!!! :D

Today I also had yogurt, some Yoplait mixed berry grade A with vitamins A & D added baby! One thing I noticed about the yogurt in the States compared to the European brands of yogurt like Danone and Parmalat is that they taste sour and ours are sweet. And, after living in Italy for five years I had gotten used to that sour yogurt taste and learned to crave it whereas when I first got there and tried it I hated it. Guess it has to do with the milk. My wife specifically buys the sour one even though she's American while I have gotten used to the sweet one again here like Yoplait.

Before we got rudely interupted and all hell broke loose and resorted to talking about yogurt we were on the subject of wishbones and spearshafts. I'm really open to hearing you guys input and preferences on these, I've used all of them and noticed that some are better in some applications than others and will share with you some of these thoughts later but I'm curious to hear which one you like better and why (please no know it alls that don't dive at least once a week) :

1. new "brass balls" wishbones:)
2. heavy duty grey cord wishbones
3. spectra cord
4. Dyneema 2mm 475lb test grey with Samthane coating
5. Dyneema extra thick 3mm weaved 1200lb test (I see this a lot in Hawaii)
6 standard three piece wishbones with 16mm threads for single band guns with screw in muzzles and bands.

obviously what thickness of shaft you use,number of bands style (pinned,sharkfinned,notched) has everything to do with it but that comes in later.

Mark
- as I write this the Shark Man "Manny Puig" is getting ancy about leaving for Hatteras tomorrow to go tangle with the sand tiger sharks but tropical storm Alex is holding us up...

Attachments

• mvc-019s.jpg
    mvc-019s.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
I used standart articulated wishbone on my guns for 6.5mm shaft with notches never had problem and don't know better way either...

Forgot one

Sorry I forgot to mention cable as I didn't have a fresh cut piece handy, so none pictured. I've used the same Seven Strand 2mm stainless steel 600lb test cable that I use to rig my blue water gun, anyway if you use some other cable feel free to mention it.
Mark

Manny is the Man! he is one of my personal heroes although ive never met him. gotta love what he does on Wilder Boys and his specials in Shark Week

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT