• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Freediving Scotland

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi stu drop William meylea a pm or weechimpy they will point you in the right direction
Dive safe
Jay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi, Im in Scotland and had many trips with the chance of trying out scuba etc and never took it. The reason behind this is my lack of confidence is something was to go wrong with the equipment. Long story short I appear to have developed a right old fascination with freediving, not that I have tried it but the fact I am in control. This along with the building of my fitness and confidence in myself to enjoy something I know I will love and with minimal cost!

If there is any advice you can throw my way, it would be gratefully appreciated and I am in the Edinburgh area if you know of any clubs or meets.

Im just about to go back all previous post on this thread see what you folks are saying.

Thanks in advance

Wallace

P.s. My overall goal wouuld potentially be to look at underwater photography

Last edited:
Anyone freediving or spearfishing on the West Coast this summer (when it gets here!)?. I am looking for a buddy or buddies to dive with. About time we had a proper Freediving club in Scotland for all those (few) that are interested. Please get in touch if interested.

Anyone freediving or spearfishing on the West Coast this summer (when it gets here!)?. I am looking for a buddy or buddies to dive with. About time we had a proper Freediving club in Scotland for all those (few) that are interested. Please get in touch if interested.

Where abouts in West Scotland?

I am in the Tarbert area in week 39. Do a little spearfishing, scallop fishing, deer hunting. So let me know if you want to meet in that week for some spearfishing...

Cheers,
Christian Svendsen
Denmark

About time we had a proper Freediving club in Scotland for all those (few) that are interested. Please get in touch if interested.

Really? Freediving Scotland on FB might be worth a look.
There's quite a few folks spearing around Scotland but that's not reflected so much on DB really.
Spearfish Scotland on FB might also be worth a look.

Thanks to all who replied re SCOTTISH FREEDIVING (2013)

Hi Christian, week 39 looks good to me. Tarbert and Loch Fyne is my favourite area. If there is a shortage of fish there are usually scallops to dive for. I am investigating buying a kayak as most of the best sites are inaccessible without a boat.

Martin, I'm based in the Central belt so can travel east or west. Ideally somewhere that does not involve too much driving as that can really use up precious time that could be better spent in the water.

Apneaboy, can you pm. me with details of the courses. I am definitely interested. Thanks to work I did not get any freediving at all last year. I reckon I can manage the AIDA*1 level no problem as I have spearfished and freedived previously but probably need regular pool training to improve personal fitness for AIDA*2. Are there any regular pool training sessions on the go in Scotland? A lot of public pools will not even consider the possibiilty of freediving mainly I think due to insurance and liability stipulations.

Have just ordered my first monofin so would really benefit from some training in that area also. Look forward to hearing from anyone else who is interested.

Dave

Really? Freediving Scotland on FB might be worth a look.
There's quite a few folks spearing around Scotland but that's not reflected so much on DB really.
Spearfish Scotland on FB might also be worth a look.

Thanks for that. Will take a look later. Deeper Blue is usually my first port of call, was not aware of any other sites.

Tarbert and Loch Fyne is my favourite area........there are usually scallops to dive for. I am investigating buying a kayak as most of the best sites are inaccessible without a boat.

Be careful with that one as beds around there have been started/brought on/looked after by folk for a looong time locally as retirement funds. No idea about legalities/rights, but at best you may find a frosty reception coming out with a bag full of someones future whisky fund. :D

Be careful with that one as beds around there have been started/brought on/looked after by folk for a looong time locally as retirement funds. No idea about legalities/rights, but at best you may find a frosty reception coming out with a bag full of someones future whisky fund. :D

Hey Yeti, that doesn't sound too good. The few sites I have dived on all showed signs of extensive commercial scallop dredging ie seabed ravaged and turned into a desert. Not much bringing on or care in that. I only ever take a few at a time for personal use and as they come from well below the high tide mark I'm not sure how anyone can legally lay claim to them. If you have any more info please pm me.

Should be ok? I'm talking about small patches of shoreline stuff. I have no idea about claims etc. Possibly none but maybe just one of those things to be aware of if u are on the recieiving end of any seemingly unprovoked verbal from the shore :)

I just saw a very good movie shot in Scotland, "The Angel's Share." It actually used English subtitles in case we couldn't understand the brogue. Sometimes it was necessary.

I know that has not a damn thing to do with diving, but I just thought I'd throw it in. :)

Should be ok? I'm talking about small patches of shoreline stuff. I have no idea about claims etc. Possibly none but maybe just one of those things to be aware of if u are on the recieiving end of any seemingly unprovoked verbal from the shore :)

Good advice. Thanks for that. Have to say the only abuse I have ever had was from anglers with rods and lines. The general inference being that spearos are somehow depriving them of the chance to catch any decent sized fish or purposely scaring the fish away. As there is no way I would go diving anywhere near their monofilament lines for fear of getting tangled up they were really just being irrational. Live and let live etc.

Will be running a pool session in Wishaw in a few weeks with Steve Millard. Looking for 7 like minded beginners. 3-4 hour session.

Ste is ace, you'll learn a lot and have a good laugh!

I was just trying to pull his leg to see if he bit :)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT