• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Greatest freediver

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What is the greatest freediver of all times?

• Enzo Maiorca

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Jacques Mayol

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • Pipin

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Umberto Pelizzari

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • Debora Andollo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tanya Streeter

Votes: 21 11.5%
  • Audrey Mestre

Votes: 13 7.1%
  • Herbert Nitsch

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • Martin Stepanek

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Gianluca Genoni

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Pipin has a long history

Pipin has a long history doing freediving and spearfishing ..He not only succeeded in Cuba but He succeeded in USA through all the difficulties that all we,cuban people pass.. that deserves an outward ..if not why do you thing they chose pipin and umberto to make that freediving film the Ocean men ?? ..maybe they made a mistake.doing that record ..we always make. It's not just the fact of falling,but to get up with a new experience....No es mucho el caer sino que al levantarnos hallamos aprendido algo..

We can't judge people of their mistakes but we must see their qualities.

Even though we don't have the same believes and I don't like the not limit... I give credit to him as a good sportman.

""How rarely we weigh our neighbor in the same balance in wich we weigh ourselves"

But God the law Giver and Judge obeyed His own law,died for us,and paid the penalty for our sins,"The judge is now the Savior!

saludos

Daniel.

PS- I give credit to Umberto Pelizzari and Enzo Maiorca too.

Last edited:
"the Greatest"

A child totally depends on other"His father" a child accepts his position in life, enjoy his hobby and does not try to act like someone older

The way we treat others indicate how much humility we practice

Humility and honestly must work together in producing harmony

"He will be greatest who has the least idea he is great"

"Sera el mas grande aquel que tenga la menor idea de que el lo es"

A .H mc Neile
saludos

Daniel.

Last edited:

What does this one have to do with Pipin? I mean, he of all have always told as many as possible how great he is. Now Audrey is a different story, but you did mean Pipin, right?

Please don't think that I'm forgetting the struggle Pipin had with the Cuban authorities, his efforts to make freediving noticed in the media and above all his sportive achievements. I just weigh that against the image that the outside world still have of this 'suicidal' sport where there is no sure return. I hold Pipin responsible for that. Even many spearfishers call the sled attempts for 'stunt dives', and that's like a terrible image that even other freedivers have of it. I hold Pipin responsible for that, where people like Streeter and Pelizzari have struggled so hard to give the sport a better name through hard work on safety.
Pipin has talked so much about respect for the ocean, but that sounds hollow to me when studying him. At least I think Pipin somewhere has vastly misunderstood how the respect should come out. I mean, first one safety diver died, then another, he himself had blackout upon blackout, and finally his own wife died.
My respect for the guy as a sportive personality drops when I know of better ways to conduct the sport. Not because I think he's an (...)hole, but because he aparently don't learn from his mistakes and don't understand how he is supposed to respect the powers of the ocean.

"Quae sunt Caeseris, Ceaseri", says an old legend. "Give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's". I'll grant Francisco Rodrigues aka Pipin Ferreras the credit he deserves, but no more than he deserves when all has being weighed. I just can't can't think of him as the greatest freediver of all time, I can't.

BUT, that depends on what people put into the word 'greatest'. I regon people have voted from their immediate sensations, and then it's probably gonna be like people voting for Schwarzenegger in California. Not really a super candidate, but he was the most in the media. What the hell, the poll is just for fun anyway.

hI

Do not misunderstand my point ..I understand you perfectly"He will be greatest has the least idea he is great" ..it has nothing to do with the message I post before about " the long history" for me pipin is good sportman.and he made history in this freediving sports ..but to be the greatest is something else.. we have to remember something only our Creator search our heart...

"Our desire must not be to get everybody to agree with us;our desire must be to pursue peace,not cause other to stumble,and help others to mature "

saludos

Daniel.

Last edited:
not an old legend ...

Matth 22:21 "They say unto him, Caesar's. Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's."

Please don't forget, this is not an old legend, but from the Gospel of Matthew. It was a stunning answer of Divine origin that put the Pharisees to silence, neutralizing their evil intentions.

regards
Gerald

Last edited:
-------------------------------
Please don't forget, this is not an old legend, but from the Gospel of Matthew. It was a stunning answer of Divine origin that put the Pharisees to silence, neutralizing their evil intentions.
-------------------------------

It's a cool cock-and-bull story, but that still makes it a legend when compared evenly to anything else. Or are you one of those people?

Hello,

I have been reading lately a lot about freediving and have a question for which I cannot find an answer:

Audrey reached the bottom of 170 meters in the planned timing, however when she supossed to go up, the baloon had a break for 30 sec. around 165 meters. Then speeded up a little and then had several other breaks for 2 seconds each. When the time showed 3 minutes 30 seconds, she was still at 136 meters. Even though her rescue diver Pascal asked her before whether she needed help, she declined. In this case, didn't she realize that it will be too dengerous not to request help?! Or let's say if she could not think clearly in such an attempt requiring enourmous effort from the athlete, shouldn't the safety diver intervene and force her to take a breath from his regulator?

For me Pippin, Audrey and Umberto are all great divers. The only thing to be done is to set the rules and standards in such a way to prevent accidents...

any replies, welcome...

The fabled article in Sports Illustrated of June '03 about Audrey & Pipin tells the tale the best and the most round. I can send you the text (it's quite long) if you're interested.

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen
chris@hfk.dk

I searched for this article of June 16, 2003 yesterday, but i could not find it. I would be very happy, if you can send it to me. Meanwhile, I found your mail in freediving.at and read the translation. It was very useful. I wrote to your e-mail address, so you can see my address from there.

have a nice day,

who is the greatest?

If freediving is a Sport: Martin Stepanek & Tanya Streeter
If freediving is a Philosophy: Jacques Mayol
If freediving is a Religion: Pipin Ferreras
If freediving is a Natural Ability: Audrey Mestre
If freediving is a Science: Eric Fattah & Sebastien Murat
If freediving is a Competition: Herbert Nitsch
If freediving is Life: Umberto Pelizzari

If freediving is getting the hiccups constantly after statics at 35m: Me!

Good one!

I like your thinking on this Will. You make some good points there. I have to agree with you.

I was made aware of this poll by my assistant. And for the first time (to my recollection) this will be the first time I write in this forum.

My vote for the greatest freediver without question goes to Audrey. Remember, by age 28 and with less than 2 weeks of deep sea training, she was able to reach a depth of 170 meters.

Her expertise and mental control allowed her to reach her goals and that is something I had to accomplish as well in order to match her record.

My second vote is for Umberto. Whom dispite all of the controversy, I respect very much and feel that his freediving span is lead by his fins, great mental strength and his ability to reach and conquer his goals and depths.

Originally posted by Will
who is the greatest?

If freediving is a Sport: Martin Stepanek & Tanya Streeter
If freediving is a Philosophy: Jacques Mayol
If freediving is a Religion: Pipin Ferreras
If freediving is a Natural Ability: Audrey Mestre
If freediving is a Science: Eric Fattah & Sebastien Murat
If freediving is a Competition: Herbert Nitsch
If freediving is Life: Umberto Pelizzari

If freediving is getting the hiccups constantly after statics at 35m: Me!
You stated it perfectly...

Hola Pipin bienvenido

Hi Pipin me alegro verte por aqui- aunque no la conoci I think She tried to do her best -y se esforzo creo en su poco tiempo por hacer bastante

saludos Pipin
Daniel.

When friend need confort ,ask"The father of mercies to teach you what to say and do-
David Mc Casland

Welcome Pipin,
I started this poll because my brother and I was arguing about the greatest freediver. For me was Enzo, for him was you.
In fact he was in a Freediving clinic that you held in San Andres (Colombia). He was the guy of the accident with the cows.
At this moment I can say that, despite all, you are one of the greatest.
Congratulations for the last record.
Is a pleasure to have you around.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT