• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2015

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Looking tempting :)
image.jpg

Guys, we have three places available for the annual specimen hunt competition weekend over the weekend on August 1st - 2nd.
Please contact me if you are interested.

What is the viz looking like over there then chaps? Is it going to be nice and clear for the end of the month?

25th July @ 8am
I'll need to get everything sorted on the campsite then nip out and catch something for the evenings BBQ - can't wait :)

Reactions: Trelawney
Copied from another forum........

A direct quote from Chris Morris at Guernsey (not Sussex) Sea Fisheries:

'From 1st September it will be an offence for any person to to land, or possess a Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) less than 42cm. This is throughout the 0-12nm limit. This law applies to both recreational and commercial fishermen as well as members of the public.

From March this year it became law and it is now an offence for any person to retain more than 3 Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) per day where the species was caught using a pleasure vessel with Bailiwick waters 0-12nm limit.

(This does not apply to commercial fishing vessels which are subject to different controls).
(This control does not apply to Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) caught from the shore - The UK Control is different as it applies to shore caught fish).'

How's the water temperature at the moment?
Do I need to bring a wet suit?

"From March this year it became law and it is now an offence for any person to retain more than 3 Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) per day where the species was caught using a pleasure vessel with Bailiwick waters 0-12nm limit."

"(This control does not apply to Bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) caught from the shore - The UK Control is different as it applies to shore caught fish)."

A bit unclear regarding spearos.
If I walk into the sea from the shore and do my spearfishing - I can have more than 3 bass.
If I paddle out on my kayak - I cannot have more than 3 bass.

???

More importantly- how is the fishing? Doesn't seem to be many reports coming out of Guernsey these days.........is it that bad?

I have seen fish every time I have been in, shot four bass and a few plaice but I have not been for a couple of weeks now. I find the present situation so depressing compared to the last 40 years, that it now takes quite an effort to get in!
We have been getting fish on the boat but no bream as yet. Plenty of turbot around but they tend to be around Sark more than guernsey. Loads of cod on the wrecks but I have had enough of them now! The fishing seems about the same as last year but the vis is better.

image.jpg
First trip in today in over 3 weeks. My wife gave birth to our first child two weeks ago so it's all been abit manic around here recently. Mummy and baby Poppy are doing great and gave me a afternoon pass which was nice of them.
Met up with Matt/westcoaster and headed out west. Vis was pretty good in most places but I noticed a lack of fish compared to last year in the same spot! Didn't see one schoolie and this time last year they were e everywhere! Maybe it was just a bad day!! Anyway first hour was pretty quiet with only a few small mullet lined up on but no shots taken. Saw a nice sized bass cruising and took a nice early long shot as I didn't want him to get away. Boom he will do nicely for the bbq. Expected to see a few more now the tide had been on the up for a good hour, but nothing. Just over the 4lb mark so happy with that. Not long till the meet/Jersey social so I best get in some more practice.

Haven't posted for a while, been out a lot but not seen a great deal and nothing worth reporting, Out with Little Sarge and wasn't too keen on getting In earlier with the wind, then I was told to "Man up", so I did and went spearfishing :)
As Kerin said it was quiet for the first hour, seen tons of bait fish each time ive been out, but wasn't much else, then turned a corner and found one of those Bass that Jonny mentions that are resting in the weed, lined up the shot and shot it just behind the neck, it got tangled in the bootlace, and in my excitement (not seen many) I grabbed the bass by the tail, he was on the spear but it was caught in bootlace, the bass had enough energy for one last dash and off the spear it went (barb closed). When I dived down I was short of air so being caught in the bootlace and not seeing anything apart from a tail, well that's what I grabbed..., lesson learned for next time is all I can say, shame it was around the 4-5lb range. Anyhows seeing a number of mullet and other bass swimming around it was looking fishy
Within 10 minutes of losing the last bass another one of around 2.5lb's came swimming along looking at me, I had him in sight and boom he was dinner....and this one was NOT getting away.
Happy Days, its getting fishy!!!
Lihou 1707 bass.JPG
Lihou 1707a bass.JPG
Lihou 1707b bass.JPG
Lihou 1707e bass.JPG
Lihou 1707fgbass.JPG
Lihou 1707qbass.JPG

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT