• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Guernsey 2015

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
What a fantastic morning. Got up bright and early and was getting in at about 05.45, the water was like glass and not a breath of wind.
Did lots of drops onto the sand and the viz was excellent. It feels strange changing your diving style to hunt for different species when your so used to a different method of hunting, even not having a loaded gun feels strange.
About 5 drops in i spotted a sole which shortly after got put onto my stringer. Couple of drops later i spotted a cuttle fish and he also ended up on the stringer but only after he inked me good and proper.
A few drops further out but nothing else except spiders to be found. Amazing start to the day and a plaice and sole in one weekend. :)

I was chatting to one of the retired fisherman when i got out the water. He is now part time and told me the last trots he pulled had over 340 hooks and he only had 3 ray, 2 small bass and 6 pollock he seems to think there is not much about at the moment.

Reactions: westcoaster
Should have weighed him, he was a good size, not sure if bigger than those Jersey efforts recently
The crab wells were really clear yesterday

Next time you grab a big one Matt you should enter it. Wont matter if its as big although it would be nice. Will be a species ticked off the list.

Reactions: westcoaster
Should have weighed him, he was a good size, not sure if bigger than those Jersey efforts recently
The crab wells were really clear yesterday
They looked really decent spiders and pretty damn tasty too I expect. Shame u didnt enter them but hopefully there will be more out there. Any spider over 1.5kgs wld do as a species entry for Guernsey. You don't have to beat the Jersey teams species weight, its the number of eligible species caught that counts (weight only matters if there is a draw) , though I guess that catching a bigger one might be the icing on the cake! Good hunting

They looked really decent spiders and pretty damn tasty too I expect. Shame u didnt enter them but hopefully there will be more out there. Any spider over 1.5kgs wld do as a species entry for Guernsey. You don't have to beat the Jersey teams species weight, its the number of eligible species caught that counts (weight only matters if there is a draw) , though I guess that catching a bigger one might be the icing on the cake! Good hunting

Anything to whip the bums of the Jersey boys, I'll be back in the wells asap ;)

a few of us went over to do a freediving course last year with Emma at Go Freediving - being able to do comfortable drops and relax whilst looking for fish is amaazing. i totally recommend a course to anyone who wants to improve their breathhold, learn to relax, or try and get more comfortable at depth. Yesterday my deepest dive was only 7m but i was enjoying just cruising the seagrass and gravel banks. I think Matt Leclerk in Jersey is also offering a beginner freediving course in August [here in Guernsey] too. it would be good to get more Guerns freediving and also some buddies for deeper dives...
pl4.jpg

Another cracking dive with Jonny and Fro this evening. Enjoying drops around the 8m mark over the sand and gravel, viz was around 6m give or take a little. Found another plaice which got put on the stringer. All in all a great weekend of diving.
image.jpg

Last edited:
First dive of the year for me, with Ed, yesterday. Decent viz, nothing special, maybe 5-6m. Got shoaled by a school of schoolies early on, some decent enough fish in there but far to many to be able to line up on one before they were gone. Was looking for flatties and ended up with 2 sole and 1 plaice.

Oddly only saw one mini flattie when there is usually hundreds? Ed was looking for a bass but failed to relocate the shoal again. Looks like we got in just in time to beat the weather!

Attachments

• 2015-05-27 23.31.56.jpg
    2015-05-27 23.31.56.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 201
First dive of the year for me, with Ed, yesterday. Decent viz, nothing special, maybe 5-6m. Got shoaled by a school of schoolies early on, some decent enough fish in there but far to many to be able to line up on one before they were gone. Was looking for flatties and ended up with 2 sole and 1 plaice.

Oddly only saw one mini flattie when there is usually hundreds? Ed was looking for a bass but failed to relocate the shoal again. Looks like we got in just in time to beat the weather!
nicely done Tom!
i was expecting the vis to be stunning after the last few days, but it was rubbish when i went in yesterday.
do you want to enter the sole into the speccie comp Vs Jersey?

Not really Jonny, diving to me is not a competitive pursuit, it's relaxing and gathering food. I've beaten cr*pauds at plenty of proper sporting endeavours over the years but I have no interest in doing so at this. Good luck to anyone entering, but I won't be.

Besides which, it was night diving, which I think I read was not permitted.

Reactions: Jonny250
What a totally epic day!!!
took the kayak out to Rocque Au Nord for a look around, did some drifts but didnt see too much. came back in and drifted the Cherete from Lan Noue down to la Greve, lots of pollack seen but was in flattie mode - didnt see any.
then headed across to the Quenon and did some drops into shoals of pollack with a few bass seen.
headed in for 3:30 and a cup of tea and cake at Rousse :)
some amazing diving in spite of the plankton :)
ron1.jpg

route.jpg

Jonny, that is a great pic & a great adventure!

I have been watching the floating digger working really close in today, how do they know what they are digging?
Anyway apart from being an impressive sight, I dread to think what that is doing to the vis!
I bet they have dug up a few muskets ah @Trelawney

The dregde is an impressive bit of kit Mart. The digger is fully linked into gps and the driver has his dig route all mapped out for each session. He just follows the plot on the screen. It could work just fine if it didn't have any windows at all, and hence why it can work all night without a problem, apart from the noise of course!

But yes, east coast viz is usually bad but its going to be terrible for a while.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT