• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Herbert Nitsch 214m News from Greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
rxcnc2, you didn't get it.

This shows that AIDA, at least, trying to get our sport out there. It's not easy to fight against 200 different sports for 20 min of TV time. Alki is the one to thanks, he understands what needs to be done and then he does it.

Hi Divesharm, I think you missed my main point: in order to get 20min
of TV time, this "trick" jeopardized the credibility and thrill of such events
in the future. I stayed home to watch this one, for the next one I'll
simply say "whatever".

Reactions: cebaztian
bravo...bravo...bravo...
we have to thank for this big show. The hoax will help that in the future it´s more difficult to find sponsors for "No Limit" event´s. And this may protect some stupid jung guns like I was.

I agree with wolleneugebauer

rxcnc2

Media is using "trick" to find more viewer all the time. This has nothing to do with the credibility of the dive. The dive was done and we could all see the real dive on internet.
The trick was just a simple time delay, nothing else. You find this everywhere all the time. With Alki we have more freediving in media, and with more media we got more sponsors.

I could see that AIDA publish the information and the dive profile on there site before Alki sent the video on his site. Even then, when I knew the result, no fire or earthquake could stop me from watching the video!

Greg

Hahaha... I am sitting here at work and I asked if anyone heard anything about a freediving WR dive that took place in Spetses in the weekend...blank faces all around...hahahha...I checked the papers of the last week and there was a very interesting story about a 35 year old woman who discovered scuba diving and became a scuba instructor

... she has dived in the RED SEA!!! and has reached incredible depths of 35m :martial WOW hot news rofl

nobody has heard a thing about this NLT WR...

and we are "sitting" here in DB fighting and kissing hairy Greek asses about whether the "huge" :t media benefits that freediving got from this "temporal displacement" of the record is worth while .... rofl ... LOL .... I cannot stop laughing... thank God nobody knows or cares about the "big" things going on in our little freediving world... LOL

I was pissed off at getting lied to ... but now this whole story gave me a unique perspective of the place of freediving in the big ugly world...

THERE IS NONE rofl

its all in our heads and hearts...

rxcnc2

Media is using "trick" to find more viewer all the time. This has nothing to do with the credibility of the dive. The dive was done and we could all see the real dive on internet.
There was no media my dear Greg :naughty

The trick was just a simple time delay, nothing else. You find this everywhere all the time. With Alki we have more freediving in media, and with more media we got more sponsors.

The trick my dear Greg was not a time delay - it was the AIDA judges who are supposed to be the credible governing body of this sport who stood up there on the dive boat on the 16th and telling the world that THIS was a WR dive to 214m that everybody witnessed ... this damages their credibility ... oh and as to the media... yeah you wait and see...there was none when it was "hot knews" but they will start pouring in a month from now ... rofl

I am tired of saying this over and over so I will stop...I think all this temporal displacement messup is affecting my hemoglobin levels and my ATP stores :t and I cannot have any of that a week before the WCh in Maribor rofl

(Go Team H2O GO)

LOL its been great fun ... :t what a joke and what teriffic jokers... I am off doing some CNF training tomorrow in warm clear waters...I hope all you guys have a great weekend and loads-a-fun

Cheers Stavros

Reactions: cebaztian
Regarding Media

The whole idea was to have a live event. And indeed to broadcast it live.

However the general attitude after Loic's death made it impossible to find a broadcaster to take Herb's dive live. CNN passed, as did Sky and ESPN. So the orignal idea of doing a live broadcast on television died as well.

Believing in Herbert and the the saftey team's success I decided to take a different approach. Test the delayed live event concept on this little community and roll out the documentary afterwards.

So now... Sky Sports will broadcast the 24 minute edit next week. RAI Sports two weeks later and perhapsd a US broadcaster after that.

The 60 minute documentary will come out later. This will be combination of records set in Spetses, history of freediving and finally... the greatest dive of all. Herbert's extraordinary dive that really is a remarkable beautiful awesome thing. I am very proud to have been a part of it and it is a memory that I kknow all those who shared in the experience will remember for ever.
:t

I think we should get down to the real issue at stake
Just how hairy is Alkis greek arse anyway?

No offense Alki, cheers for the effort at least the debate show how passionate people here are about freediving.

... the greatest dive in the freediving history was the arch-dive without fins from william winram. this dive was more spectacular than all sledge-dives added up.
my point of view!

Last edited:
... the greatest dive in the freediving history was the arch-dive without fins from william winram. this dive was more spectacular than all sledge-dives added up.
my point of view!
Yes it is, for freedivers! But we are such a small group of people that nobody cares about our opinion. The public like the most extreme thing and thing that will bring death around the corner, and that is in their eyes no limits, for the sheer reason that you go deeper.

Regarding Media

Herbert's extraordinary dive that really is a remarkable beautiful awesome thing. I am very proud to have been a part of it and it is a memory that I kknow all those who shared in the experience will remember for ever.

Ahmen to that. That as they say in the classics, says it in a nutshell.

Regarding Media

The whole idea was to have a live event. And indeed to broadcast it live.

However the general attitude after Loic's death made it impossible to find a broadcaster to take Herb's dive live. CNN passed, as did Sky and ESPN. So the orignal idea of doing a live broadcast on television died as well.

Then it all makes much better sense. Fair enough, Alki.

Did anyone film highres video of William T's no-fins arch dive? And ... would those people be interested in offering this footage to Alki?! (Given they're not turning it commercial themselves.)

I'm not kidding. I'm thinking that if Alki is churning out a 60-minute docu, give him a chance to get all the way 'round freediving and present a fuller aspect of apnea philosophy. The F1 vs. the marathon, etc.

Anyway, I don't know if Alki is interested in this, but...

I'd like to hear from Tanya, Mandy-Rae or someone else who has done such a high profile world record dive, for real.

Surely the media presence has got to add to the stress of the occasion - thus adding to just how impressive the dive really is. Not only can they do it, they can do it in front of the world's media - rather than do it on the quiet a few days before and then pretend to do it in front of the media... I know AIDA does not ask them to do that, but in the past that has been the case.

Even just from competing, I have personal experience of how much extra stress there is having other people's eyes on you yet we never allow "yes but I did it in training when not so many people were watching" at competitions. If I was a NL WR holder (that'd be the day!) who'd done a (real) WR dive in front of the media, I reckon I'd be a bit p'd off right now!

Tom's performance was different - he repeated it in front of the media, for real.

I don't understand why this whole subterfuge was felt necessary because the media did not want to film live. They hardly ever film live anyway. Anyone remotely involved in media and freediving will have done endless pretend breathe ups and surfacing shots for the camera. No one would have judged Herbert for doing that - but that is quite another thing from confronting tv crews with a whole lie of a dive.

It's a shame as it's still a mighty achievement and we shouldn't take away from that. We do need to take seriously though the fact that representatives of the only real agency we have, have blatantly lied to the whole freedive community!

Reactions: trux
Yes it is, for freedivers! But we are such a small group of people that nobody cares about our opinion. The public like the most extreme thing and thing that will bring death around the corner, and that is in their eyes no limits, for the sheer reason that you go deeper.

What is mostly extreme than this dive? What is more extreme as an deep-dive with the own strength or better without fins? Ask the people on the street or on the beach! After one word in explain and their opinion will change immediately.
I did it often. I have very good experiences with this. The scorn is changing to respect for our sport.
Its a pity that my english is not good enough to explain this more detailed.

Last edited:
Sam,

I've been looking everywhere and I can't find it anywhere. Where, exactly, did any representatives of AIDA lie to the whole freedive community about this attempt? I could find post from the organizer and this MIG that had some misleading information, but nothing from AIDA. The only thing I find from AIDA is that the 214 meter record was done the 14th of June. This information was available before the dive the 16th, on the AIDA website.

Greg

What is mostly extreme than this dive? What is more extreme as an deep-dive with the own strength or better without fins? Ask the people on the street or on the beach! After one word in explain and their opinion will change immediately.
I did it often. I have very good experiences with this. The scorn is changing to respect for our sport.
Its a pity that my english is not good enough to explain this more detailed.
I clearly understand what you mean. But if a non-freediver see someone hold his breath and swimming without any aid to 80 meters, what the heck, even dragging 20 other people behind him to that depth with just a breaststroke... And on the other day they see someone diving in a open submarine to 214 meters! Then they will for sure be more impressed by the 214 meter depth, because it's DEEPER... So simply do people think. Sorry to say...

We do need to take seriously though the fact that representatives of the only real agency we have, have blatantly lied to the whole freedive community!
Sam, I've followed the whole 214 meter dive quite intensively but I never heard or read anywhere something coming FROM AIDA which turned out to be lies. I discovered all of this because of the clear records on the AIDA site that it happened on the 14th. So I can't discover any lies from AIDA.

OK - you may be right and if so I apologise - but they did lie to the media in that they allowed people to be present, watching what they thought was a "live record attempt" when in fact it was no such thing. The AIDA judges were present and thus gave their stamp of approval to such behaviour

Oh yes - and they are lying about their identities on this site, posting under false names - I'll let papa smurf know!

S

Chris

Of course it would be wonderful to have this in the documentary.

In October Herbert will probably be doing the variable WR in Spetses.

This would mean that Herbert is the only diver ever to have held all World Records!

Arofl

The dive was fantastic. Getting a slot on live tv proved more difficult. But a documentary on Sky and other channels next week is a real achievement. It balances the nature docs that Tanya has done and together the public get a bigger part of the whole story.

So Herbert has to solve his challenges to get deep and Alki, Aida and others have to solve theirs. Its all good news and if a little scheming is required then so be it.

Tell you what though, I did some live TV for a breakfast show and they nearly killed me with what they wanted me to do for the camera. Live TV is dangerous for both the freediver and the TV. I agree with the earlier point about Loic, no wonder the international TV couldnt be there on the day but wanted to film the staged event. We really must try to get more media coverage and that is worth the moral argument if some secrecy is required.

Still winning the T shirt on ebay.......for now. Trouble is it wont fit me.
Oooops, no I'm not, just been out bid by £1. Rats.

Last edited:
Amazing to say the least. This is really progression, not the little 1 or 2 Meter jumps that we saw in the past 10+ years. This is a 29M (95 feet) leap from the previous record. I believe that this is the largest gain ever in Aida's NLT records. (Minus Musimu's non-sanctioned dive)

Hahahah... (still laughing about this...)
let talk about another thing since the temporal displacement vs. lie argument is getting quite old even for me who was there and immediately affected by it (ie it cost me money to be there and watch the lie - sorry temporaly displaced dive)

Now lets talk media...everybody here is talking about how this happened so freediving would get the media attention and it is all justified and freediving needs more media presence and blah blah blah...

I am all for that... I would like to have a nice fat paycheck from my sponsor every 1st of the month rather than having to work 9-5 train in the evenings teach courses in the weekends and blah blah blah...

So how do we go about it???

I was at a University Sports Management Congress a couple of weekends ago and had a chance to get information about a research project on media and sports... you know one of the most interesting parts that came out of this research...?

Media loves violent sports...the more dangerous the better... (this is not really news is it???)

And lets look at freediving...

It started off with a handfull of daredevils challenging science and man's nature by diving into the deep oceans of the world ... big blue time... media were all over them... money coming in...

Then a few more daredevils started getting a bit more organised and doing deeper stunts... media still all over them ... money coming in...

Then it started becoming a sport with more and more people into it and a whole Zen attitute towards it and getting in touch with the oceans and blah blah blah... media short of interested...les money coming in...

And then it got really organised with many people doing this...everyone is now an athlete...if you do it right it is perfectly safe (thats what we preach right?)... nothing wrong can happen to you and blah blah blah...one more meter one more second...my my how many of these one more have there been...there seems to be one every few weeks nowadays...
No real media is interested ... almost zero money coming in...
(if a couple of magicians in a forgotten Tv studio somewhere do an apnea stunt were they almost die they are in the news everywhere around the world...even here on DB this got immediate attention)

So... what do we see...? freediving is now a safe passtime for everyone to enjoy it at his/her own level of involvement... and at the same time we are asking for media attention for the extreme things we do...

SORRY IT DOESN'T REALY WORK THAT WAY...

you want media attention? then promote the BOs the sambas...make it clear to the media that the athletes start a dive not knowing if they will make it back...heck no its not safe ... these guys and gals are a second and a meter away from death every time they get in the water...

is this what we want.??? don't know... is it?

The other option is to make freediving open to every person on the planet...remember 30-40 years ago scubadiving was an extreme sport with few nutters challenging the deep... now it is a world wide industry...would you classify scubadiving today as an extreme sport? I doubt it...
Thats another way for freediving to go...no real media interest but it will become an industry on its own and people will be making a living...that probably the way it is going...is it what we want?...who knows (on the other hand it is nice to be the extreme people isn't it? hahahaha)

Just food for thought on this discussion about media... (maybe the moderators would like to start a new thread at this point...)

Cheers Stavros

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT