• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Infinitengines "Dreamair" pneumatic speargun

Interesting video! I see I was right about operating pressure. I sad I would not use it on more than 5 atm. He tested it from 5 atm up to 8,5 atm. Also operation of the loading device was interesting to me.

You can see the target in the distance being hit and moving with the shaft impacts. The shaft flies very quickly and there seems to be little recoil as the "Dreamair" gun shoots. I think that the multitude of shots shown indicates that the gun works reliably and consistently which is what you want in a speargun. Considering the technical challenges that had to be overcome, and I had my doubts earlier due to the attention to detail required to make everything work, I think the gun is a great achievement.

Reactions: jorz21
I take my hat off, pretty amazing what they have accomplished so far. I really appreciate the attention to detail and quality. I can't wait to see more videos to get an idea about accuracy.
At the end of the footage it seems like the target is 6m away if the bobbers are spaced 1meter which is likely.
If it is accurate at that distance it is going to attract a lot attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the loading device for "arming" the cable wishbone drive. Another variation of the loading device has a pulley attachment (which will be shown next) in order to create a mechanical advantage as you summon your strength to haul the wishbone(s) back to engage the shaft.
View attachment 42996
Here is the version with the pulley built into the hooks; the metal ring attaches to the shaft as a fixed anchor point that you can then pull against as you haul the wishbone(s) back. Doubling the line at the hook pulleys halves the pull effort, but you have to pull twice as far which is what you expect to do with a "block and tackle" device. A very ingenious design!
loader with pulley.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: sharkey
What is the purpose of knots here? I suppose just to give some brake while picking up extra Dyneema length? Is there a video of using the loader?

Last edited:
The only current video is the one showing the gun being shot at an underwater target, but at the start you can see the gun being charged and it appears to happen with two separate draws of the loading device. The knots may trap the line once they pass through the rollers built into the hook bodies and thus create a "one-way" action for the operator to then take that second draw and complete loading to the shaft's rear wishbone notch or tab. That would explain the second draw after pushing the cylindrical grip handles forwards under or over the outer cables, in fact you can see the operator wiggling the black grip handles forwards along the gun body.

The "Dreamair" speargun should be more efficient than a band gun as its "pneumatic spring" energy storage will be more efficient than using stretched rubber bands as an energy storage medium. Also the effects of "band soak" mean that the longer a band gun is cocked then the force available for shooting decreases from that which was required to cock each band in the first place, however the loss is not great and we don't generally notice it.

The big bore pneumatic speargun has always been problematic as water around the spear has to be pushed out of the gun which slows down the shot. In a hydropneumatic speargun this water braking effect is used to push the spear out of the gun because in a sense it is an extended barrel pneumatic speargun where the speargun has a big diameter (annular) piston that shoots backwards and the moving water is driven in the opposite direction by doing a 180 degree turn down a narrower ID barrel extension that actually holds the spear. These guns gain their performance by using very high start pressures, up to 3 times that used in pneumatic spearguns. Efficiency is not their strong point!

The "Dreamair" has a very big sliding oval shaped piston, so has a lot of force to play with (Force equals Gun Pressure x Cross-Sectional Area) and thus can power other moving elements (drums and cables) besides the spear and still provide good shooting performance. Also, unlike all other pneumatic spearguns, it will not be affected by increased ambient pressure at depth as the pneumatic energy storage system is completely sealed off from the environment. Although the cable drive system seems incongruous at first, it is the only way to use a big piston pneumatic speargun as the spinning winding drum axle is the only element that crosses the gun's pressure boundary. Like a balanced scuba regulator valve each end of the axle sees exactly the same pressure, which is ambient pressure.

Four cross-sectioned views of the "Dreamair" show its internal layout and the compact arrangement of the winding drums, axle, bearings and seals.

Note that these views are looking at the gun with it turned upside down as the inlet valve opening is underneath the muzzle. The shaft guide track is facing downwards and thus out of sight.
Dreamair sections 4R.jpg

Last edited:
Here you can see the spiral cable tracks on the winding drums, the housings for the spinning axle roller bearings and seals are screwed into the gun body, hence the screw threads on their surfaces. The "window" in the inner drum is the inner cable attachment point. The varying leverage or CVT aspect is obtained from the ratio of the drum diameters at the various points on their surfaces where the cables are simultaneously pulling or being pulled.
17310391_1894167530829503_4520687744093195678_o.jpg

During transport I think that the outer drums would need to be protected against damage, so no stowing the gun in the car boot and then dropping a weight belt on top of it. I expect that a carry bag will be available and maybe a "gundom" protective cover, the latter being neoprene zippered bags that closely fit the stock at the front. I have a couple of these for my latest euroguns.

Last edited:
Reactions: foxfish
Latest photo of a "Dreamair" gun down at the beach, so maybe not long to go now. This is a sample of the production model.
Dreamair hits the beachR.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Kodama and foxfish
I would love to see this system being tested for range, accuracy and recoil. It is so unique I find it very intriguing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Diving Gecko
Don't we all!
Its been a long but interesting ride so far & thank you Pete for all the updates.

Just to clarify how the cables travel on the drums during the shot, black marks the start positions. During loading the cables reverse this movement, thus as one set of drums wind on the other winds off or vice versa. The "Dreamair" speargun is essentially a pneumatically powered high speed winch for launching the spear with the operator re-compressing the air storage system for the next shot via their manual loading effort.

Compressed air energy storage is much more efficient than using stretched rubber bands which suffer loss during "band soak" in their loaded up state.
CVT action RR.jpg

This is a photo of the outer cables fully wound on the outer drums, the actual wishbone being a separate cord tied onto the end loops on the outer cables on each side.
cable on winding drum.jpg

I have been told that the website http://www.infinitengines.com/ will function like an e-shop at the time of the "Dreamair" gun's release. There is no content currently showing on that website, but something should be happening there once the northern hemisphere spearfishing season gets underway.

Reactions: foxfish
Nothing further to report, I recently asked and was told there would be more news soon, that was about a week ago. Checking the "infinitengines" website, which is to act as an "e-shop", shows that it has not been activated. Being summer I thought some guns might have become available.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT