• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

New Freediving Computer to be unveiled at DEMA 08

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
The responsibility of really translating the demands of a target group into a tangible product in my view comes with the privilege of having the full attention and cooperation of that group.

After all, it's been months since suggestions were made. From what I read from the list of specs, the differences between the F10 and -say- Mares Nemo or Suunto D4 are not that spectacular.

I agree with Trux that we're not dealing with a Scuba computer, so different rules do apply.

I can't see how the watch, with the specs mentioned, can be seen as "very user programmable". We're talking about a device that beeps every few meters or seconds and logs depth against time. I understand we can program 3 depth beeps and one (or a few) for time.

Can the watch be 'flashed' once new firmware comes out, that would be a good use for the $99 (!) cable.

Does the software (Comes with the cable? Excel export? Graphic?) extract other data than can be displayed in steps on the watch itself?

Does it log temperature at the same interval (to detect thermocline depth)?

Glad to see that the idea of a yellow face didn't make it.

Pity to see you miss the peak season (northern hemisphere) like you missed Xmas period putting the product on the market. The changes don't appear that revolutionary (since its introduction on this forum), it appears that no physicial limits have improved or functions have been added.

(still love to get my hands on this watch, still delaying my purchase of a decent watch/bottom timer/computer)

I sincerely hope one day a manufacturer picks up the list of well explained desired features. This community made it so easy for him...

sounds like I'm kinda defending Doug here, but I feel the watch will be great ONLY because (correct me if i'm wrong), Martin used it and provided much feedback in the name of us all (freedivers). Imagine asking for 100 opinions, and those 100 give 5 features, the product would never arrive to market and let alone for 1/2 to 2/3 price of a D4.
But I do like Kars auto-backlit function ;)

Just get it in the stores by mid july, i'll be in NY then and I beleive Leisure pros store is there ;)

Re-reading my message, the words I chose appear rather strong.
I guess it's just a little less innovative than I hoped for. I've read so
many good suggestions. But as you say, just get it into the shops first!

Perhaps a good idea for another thread: Wishlist of features found on
a freediving 'computer', counting votes, obviously...

sounds like I'm kinda defending Doug here, but I feel the watch will be great ONLY because (correct me if i'm wrong), Martin used it and provided much feedback in the name of us all (freedivers). Imagine asking for 100 opinions, and those 100 give 5 features, the product would never arrive to market and let alone for 1/2 to 2/3 price of a D4.
That's exactly why it would be a great advantage if the watch offered an API allowing extensions that could be provided by 3rd parties. The basic development would not cost more or take longer, but you could select an additional plug-in from an independent developer, or a modified firmware if you wanted extensions like for example pre-programmed training schedule, O2/CO2 tables, competition preparation including official-top countdown, freediving DCS tables and/or desaturation surface interval watch-dog, or other similar functions.

That would be a huge advantage in comparison to other computers available on the market. Well, if AERIS does not use the opportunity, hopefully another manufacturer does it soon. I am pretty sure that the first one who offers the API, will take the market.

Eric Fattah has shown the right way - his Liquivision F1 indeed allowed not only custom firmware, but also had interface for hardware add-ons.

PS: hey, Azapa, you have spawn another clone again? At the beginning you were alone, then you were a double (49% spearo and 51% freediver), and now I see you are tripple! I am curious how it continues :)

Last edited:
Trux, what if they gave you an API, you programmed some cool feature to vibrate at X depth, the diver sets it at 50M and for some strange bug the thing does not go off until 80. the diver gets hurt. who pays?

again, i'm defending. my company works and breathes making software all day. i'm getting too old thats why this negative stuff comes into my head.

just ignore me ;)

Yes, there would be certainly some liability issues involved, and would need to be well covered in the Terms & Conditions, both at the original product, as at the add-on or modified firmware. However, the situation is much less dangerous, and much less complicated than at scuba diving, so I do not really consider it an unpassable obstacle.

It would be interesting to see a list of features based on the D4's feature list. So far the F.10 looks quite good.

Yes - I can't wait to see a complete and technical list of all the features as well. It's about time for me to upgrade ad this looks like it might be a good option to consider.

hey guys

i guess alot of things are based on comprimise a company such as Aeris. Oceanic etc has limited number of people working on many projects and not just this one computor. compine this with the potential market size in comparison to their core market of scuba and it is great that a computor even exists dedicated for freedivers! Suunto didnt even think the market was big enough to continue a dedicated freediving computor.

adding extra features and seamlessly integrating them into a computor without making the navigation too complicated is a mission (i still get lost in most dive computors running so many functions) and yes some extra features would be good but at the pricing this is a VERY capable computor which doesnt have alot of short falls for 98% of divers.

to answer a couple of questions i have a feeling that this computor along with others in the Aeris/oceanic family will be software updatable initially from the country dealer and then through the internet allowing future updates to be downloaded onto your computor. dive manager software will be based on "OceanLog" and based on playing with the ocean log for scuba a full graphical profile is available to view along with other dive info, havent got a sample of it yet but will let you know as soon as it comes.

as for physical limits changing (i'm assuming you mean depth) then a completely new houing would be required allowing for the greater pressure, also MORE design and trial time not to mention HUGE cost on the design side of things for a Very small market.

as for not revolutionary maybe not but when basically everything required by arguably the worlds best freediver at the moment is met (bar the depth limit) its remarkable that people still seem to be displeased by the product????

you have to ask how much you want to pay for a product, this computor was designed with almost all features asked of and built to match a price point that people are willing to pay.

Eric F made the most comprehensive freediving computor to date with endless options but so few were sold because people wanted the features but sooo many werent willing to pay the price.

sorry for ranting but i know how much time has gone into this thing, alot of divers behind the scenes have been pushing for Doug and the guys to build this computor for a long time! and despite the current economic climate they are still doing it!

as for open software it would be interesting but you also have to look at the risks Aeris would be taking, the computor enters the market with factory software, which is robust and reliable,people start producing custom software (not obvious by looking at the computor) something fails with the custom software and a diver is hurt, to any body else it was the fault of HIS F10 computor and the computor gets the bad name, not the faulty aftermarket software. i can understand why most companies arent willing to open this up yet.

as for the alarms to be honest i cant say i.ve ever had a problem workingout which alarm is which when it goes off. my depth alarms go off quite clearly and tell me where i am, i have my dive time alarm go off at the point at which i should turn, pretty easy really havent had the problem.

anyway glad to see the interest is still out there for a good quality FREEDIVING computor at a unique price bracket.

DD

Hey Dane, does your spell check work? It's computer lol. All jokes aside I think the watch looks great, simple and for the price you aren't gonna find anything to match!

I agree with you Dan! But I don't think that people are disappointed with the watch. I think it's a matter of wishful thinking/daydreaming. I for one think this is going to take #1 in freediving computers due to it's low price vs. feature list.

Of course people are going to see more things that they would WANT on the computer, I'm sure I could think of a few things (like solid state memory logging 100 dives vs. 15) but they're not things I NEED.

Anyway, solid job on Aeris' part for making a computer for us freediving freaks instead of a hybrid scuba/freediving computer where there would be 100 options on my computer that I would never use. Now I can buy a computer where I would use 90 - 100% of the options.

I see FrogDive has posted that this will be available July 10 - 4 days! However Doug said international shipments are postponed 30 days - which would mean this would already be available in the US by now.

Hopefully Doug can chip it with an updated ETA!

I'm afraid that in order for Frog Dive (g'day guys!) to have these available on the 10th - they would need to be on their way now... which is not the case. As far as I know, we're still on track to begin shipping here in the US on the 15th - will get an update, as well as international delivery in the next day or two.

As for specific features - several items like distinctive time vs. depth alarms, auto backlight, firmware update, and others are features that the current version has - I'll have the complete manual and specs as soon as I'm able...

Excellent Doug. Gosh - to have a fantastic person such as yourself working for them Aeris must be the best company in the whole world!!
I Can't Wait to get one of these guages and tell all my friends how perfectly fabulous it is!

I am interested to hear the differences over the Atom 2 and Geo compared to the F10. The depth and time alarms I have on the Atom 2. I have a few issues with navigating the history of the Atom 2, but that is just me I think, I don't do it enough. There are several features I have seen listed in this thread that I don't have on the Atom 2, but nothing that makes me want to switch yet. (I have to say that, to convince myself)

Thanks Fondueset - I think I'm blushing a little... and you're such a wonderful person for adding your knowledge and insight to this thread - with no expectation of anything in return!

As for specific features - several items like distinctive time vs. depth alarms, auto backlight, firmware update, and others are features that the current version has - I'll have the complete manual and specs as soon as I'm able...

Looking forward to the feature list. Already told the wife I want this as a Christmas present but we'll see if I can hold out that long!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT