• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Old Man Dave - sad news.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
ive been off for awhile and this was such a shock. my condolences ,omd was nothing but helpful when i first joined db and ever since.

I'm so sorry to hear this news. May he rest in peace, and condolences to all.

So Sorry for him!! :(((((( He will stay in our thoughts always... A person soul can leave but his good deeds will stay after him... We will miss you Dave!!!

Very sad news. My sincere condolences to his family and all those close to him.
I guess like many of us who never met him I feel like I knew enough of him via the forum to know he was a warm, kind helpful soul and will be missed by all of us who enjoyed his posts. Even though I never had the chance to know him personally, I will certainly miss his presence while browsing DB.

Ive been out of this world for a few years
now im turning 42 ive decided itstime to catch up

Very sad to hear of this news
I only ever met him once in the pub one night with the old dive crew (you know who you are)
A gentleman indeed!

he will be sorely missed in the community

What draws us back to the ocean??

perhaps the feeling of being alive

Lets hope where OMD has gone is deep, blue and full of bass :friday

Andre

(Ex freediver coming out of retirement)

Reactions: agbiv and Don Paul
I'm very sorry to hear about Dave. Although i never met him, his posts here, his unfailing helpfullness and his total passion for fishing have been an inspiration to me over the years. I've been away from this site for a while since cancer took my father on what i gather was the same day as Dave's passing.

My first fish of the year will be for Dave.

Reactions: fearthespear
Geez Guys, thanks for keeping Dave's spirit alive.
I am taking his boat "spearfish" out tomorrow as there is someone interested in buying her - very emotional experience this will be too!
Sorry about you dad too mate.

I am taking his boat "spearfish" out tomorrow as there is someone interested in buying her - very emotional experience this will be too!

Sorry to hear this news. I have been driving along the front past that boat every morning this week wondering whos it was. :-(

I hope whoever buys it loves the sea as much as Dave did. I never got to ride on her but I remember how proud Dave was when pointing her out in the harbour when we were in Guernsey. May the good ship Spearfish continue the legacy!!

Foxy. I loved the re-build PDF of Sprearfish, must have read it completely twice through. Good luck with the sale, I hope the buyer knows what a great boat he is getting..

Well we want the boat to go to a good appreciative home & the price could be adjusted to the owner if necessary (in tradisional Dave fashion).
Anyhow we went out yesterday in a force 5-6 that was just about the perfect sea trail conditions!!
Spearfish is a superb seaboat & just powered through all the rough stuff - the guy was very impressed indeed :)
Next step it to get her dried out for a hull inspection & if that is OK he will be the new owner.
Sad times for me as I have shared in the boat since it was just a brochure picture right up to the boats last trip out with Dave, thats over 20 years of my life & good times with my brother.
Still the chap seems a really cool character & spearfish will carry on doing what she was design to do:)

Attachments

• 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    513.5 KB · Views: 240
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    490.9 KB · Views: 229
Shes a fine looking girl to go to sea on.:friday Hope she stays on the island.

Cheers, Don

I think OMD will be happy to see Spearfish out and about instead of lying idle and I know Mart will face a difficult choice but a necessary one :)

I am going to dry her out this morning so the hull can be inspected, if the guy is happy then Spearfish will have a new owner today.

Reactions: azapa
Well she was sold today, the new owner is a really nice guy & just couldn't get over the quality of workmanship Dave had achieved when he built Spearfish.
I am glad she will stay in Guernsey too.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT