• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

RIB advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

which RIB should i get?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ok Fox, i located a Honda dealer and sent them a query for the 30 HP 2 stroke and 4 stroke this morning, lets see how that goes..
If it doesnt work, would you guys concur that the next best option would be the 25HP on the 4.2 OPen RIB?

I wouldn't, I would prefer to have a smaller boat with enough power than have a larger one that was under powered. Given your criteria in post 55 I would go with the 3.6. However if you might consider upgrading the motor in a couple of years (or less) then the 4.2 would be an option but I think if you do go with it then you will decide yourself that an upgrade is needed.

Reactions: Marwan
Suzuki & Honda only make four strokes with the other manufacturers fading out two strokes, you will still be able to buy direct injection two strokes.

Fox the 30HP honda fourstroke costs as much as the 4.2m RIB with the 25HP 2stroke together!!!, and would be about 1,000$ more than the cost of the 3.6m with 25HP..
so i believe that option (30 HP Honda) is not feasible...
so now i am back to the original question with which i started this thread,as it looks that the 25HP mercury 2 stroke is going to be a given in the equation
3.6 with 25 HP or 4.2 wuth 25HP, given that both choices may not be ideal, ill list the pros and cons of each one:
1 - The 3.6m with 25HP
Pros:
-Easier to Launch/retreive
-Powerful with a 25HP engine
- suitable for 2 maybe 3 spearos
Cons:
- Could be a bit small for 3 spearos with gear (i cannot install a hatch below deck , already checked that option)
- Could be limiting in range if the sea gets a little rough, if i cant get to the areas i bought it for, then i will feel pretty upset :(

the4.2m
Pros:
-spacious
-maybe a little safer in rougher waters

Cons:
Heavier for launching retreival (maybe only slightly)
Might be underpowered with 3-4 spearos in moderate seas...

so you see my dilemna

Last edited:
i do recall where miles and spearo dave recommended a 4m RIB with a 25 HP as a good spearfishing option, but it wasnt clear if that also took into account more than 2 spearos? nor speed

OK - For what it is worth - IMHO a 3.6 is to small to safely carry three spearos.
A 4.2 may just scape by with three but wont be comfy.
You may find it necessary to idle your engine when a diver is in the water small two stroke motors dont like running at anything less than half revs because they oil up the plugs.
So you have a dead end!
Reconsider a 4.2 with a 40 or at least rule out the 3.2?

Reactions: dave
i ruled out the 3.6 :), ( i can hear the halelooya's from here :) ), i will sit with the guy again on wednesday to see the option of 25 or 40 HP, most of the time we will be 1 or 2 people, and in most conditions the sea is calm...
on occasion we will be 3-4 and in moderate sea,
the 25HP will be suitable i think for most cases, but on these occasions, might be more challenging, should plane though, and maybe give speed of 15Knots...
looks like i will be ramp launching in all cases, so i will check aain the prices of 40HP's if the difference isnt too big ill go for it,
sounds good?

Reactions: podge
Haleluyah !! :)
Marwan, just to check your logic ;-) if the 3.6 is not underpowered with a 25, then the 4.2 wont be. It's just that the bigger boat is capable of handling more power and more load, doesn't mean it'll be underpowered unless you use the extra capability of the larger boat...
Amen :)

Reactions: foxfish and Marwan
if the 3.6 is not underpowered with a 25, then the 4.2 wont be
Absolutley right IMO!
Hope you don`t wait to long and somebody catches your good package offer. When we bought our new boat (20ft/115 Hp) on 26th Dec. , the owner called us only 4 hours later and wanted to pay us 1000 Euro extra, if we sell the boat back to him (no joke).
NO WAY :D
You may find it necessary to idle your engine when a diver is in the water small two stroke motors dont like running at anything less than half revs because they oil up the plugs
Nonsens ; if the plugs don`t clean themselves at lower speed, choice a hoter plug, go from a 9 to an 8 or from 8 to 7, thats all.
If the engine is set right, you can go all revs without any problems.

Last edited:
Nonsens ; if the plugs don`t clean themselves at lower speed, choice a hoter plug, go from a 9 to an 8 or from 8 to 7, thats all.
If the engine is set right, you can go all revs without any problems.
O I see -is that all we had to do! sorry must of got that wrong :confused:
Anyway just to throw a spanner in the works here is my old 4.2 ally boat with 30 Honda - loads of room & at 90kg for the bare boat loads of speed.

10042d1154810863-guernsey-2006-p1020570-1-.jpg

thats good stuff fox!..how does she fare in some wind and waves?

Well that pic shows the boat in a catamaran mode!
Unfortunately I cant help myself modifying every thing I own :head
The original boat was powered by a 20 Honda & went well at about 22 mph
I still have the boat but it has been enlarged to 4.5mtr & has a 50hp now.

im going to the guy tomorrow, looks like im settled on the 4.2 with 40HP, now its a question of finding one at a good price, maybe yamaha or suzuki...i also have to figure something out for shade and speargun/fins storage, he doesnt want to open hatches in the RIB to store below decks..any suggestions?
also thinking about a cool name

Hiya

Insist he cuts the floor so that you can store your fish under the deck. There is plenty of wasted space under the deck!! RIB's usually have no bottles/foam in their hulls, becuase they derive their floatation from the pontoons.

Also ask them to put a second layer of material on the sides where you would get into the boat. This is called double-skinning. It offers greater protection to your pontoons.

Aftermarket stuff you could look at:
A stainless steel roll bar which comes across your motor. You can mount your guns to this as well as some container to keep your safety gear and other things in. Some mesh bags tied to the rope, so that they hang inside the boat will offer you place to put things like your mask. Keeps it out of harms way. (check pic's!!)

Attachments

• Nico yellowtail 13kg resized.JPG
    Nico yellowtail 13kg resized.JPG
    38.7 KB · Views: 127
  • rabitech boat ski bar.JPG
    rabitech boat ski bar.JPG
    92.7 KB · Views: 131
  • rib1.jpg
    rib1.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 133
  • gun rack.JPG
    gun rack.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 133
  • hysucat front fish box.JPG
    hysucat front fish box.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 122
Under-deck fish hatch:

Attachments

• tail.JPG
    tail.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 118
Funnily enough I went for a walk along a local marina a couple of weeks ago and saw a rib full to overflowing with rain water and still well afloat. I think underfloor hatches are an excellent idea, there is no way you risk anything by cutting into the floor. You could always seal the edges back up it it worries you. I know we get water into our sub floor area but it drains out in no time when underway.

Pastor, we actually take it a step futher. After putting some fish into the under-deck hatch, we'd then pull the rear bung of the boat, allowing the underdeck fish hatch to fill up with water. When it is full, we simply drive the boat for a while, allowing the water to drain out and then slow down a bit, so that you can insert the bung again. Keeps your fish nice and clean as well as wash's out all the blood and slime and scales from your hatch!!:D:D

Well if your catching the sort of fish you do then you need to learn these tricks but unfortunately we can just do our dirty work in the water before getting back in the boat. It only takes but a few seconds rofl Mind you the scales from a Bass on the ribs tubes can look incredibly like a contact lens (no names being mentioned rofl)

well we dont catch that much fish over here :(, i was thinking of the below hatch for the spearguns/fins, i also thought of the roll bar and he makes it...
is there another alternative for storing the guns on the roll bar (not over it like your pics, but parallel to the bars, standing on the gun butt spear pointing to the sky and maybe held in place by clamp holders)..

Good choice Marwan, as for the name I was thinking about calling mine "Zeppelin" as they were full of air and crashed and burnt fairly well.
Only difference is that most of the people that know me think I’m going to crash and sink not crash and burn.rofl

Foxy that’s a nice looking bit of kit mate; will it fit on a road trailer for towing from place to place?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT