• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Wales Club

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Sorry no updates from myself as I've been away in portugal. Did see two blokes come up a beach over there though fully suited in their gear, one guy had a massive bass on his stringer, I did attempt to have a chat but he wasn't to keen! Hoping to get down the gower this weekend, weather looking rubbish though and I guess the viz is going to murk up with the wind and rain! Will update anyway!

Not sure if you come down this far, but in for an hour south pembs at high tide. Vis ok 5m. Bit of a bloom. Still some great vis if you find a good corner. Not seen much bass about.

5m ok!? We had about 1m down the gower this weekend and that's good for us! What else have you been catching up that way?

5m ok!? We had about 1m down the gower this weekend and that's good for us! What else have you been catching up that way?

Me? not much, pollack. Im not very good though. Vis has been excellent around here for a few weeks now. Lots of bass being caught on rod and line. ive been in spear fishing 3 times this year and haven't seen a single one yet.

Haha I'm the same, only ever shot pollack! I'm hoping to head your way this summer, I will give you a shout on here and see if your free!

Evening chaps.

Went down Pwlldu Bay for a swim today as it was a bit windy so didn't think there'd be much viz. Got down there and it was lovely, but could only see about 2m. Had the snorkel and mask, but didn't see any fish.

Anyone else been out lately? I'm off down Abereiddy tomorrow for some cliff jumping at blue lagoon, should I take my spear with me?

--
Jeff
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds awesome! Haven't been keeping an eye on the charts so not too sure how it's looking, definitely worth taking your gun though! I'm hoping for some viz this weekend but not sure whats forecast!

Just got back from Abereiddy, great day! Spent about two hours jumping in to the lagoon, then went back in with the spear. Vis was amazing, a good 5 or 6 metres. Saw two massive spider crabs, but too big for me to take. Saw one good fish too, but had left my gun on the cliff face for a rest. Arse.

I'm sure if I had stayed longer I would have found more, but I was getting cold so had to get out of the water. Think it would be a great spot to spend a few hours in! Next time.

--
Jeff

Anyone been out lately? Been rubbish viz on the gower, hoping this weekend into next week will give us some!

Hey Ash. Back up in east Anglia so haven't been out. But I finish here tomorrow, which means I'll be home in the nights so can hopefully get out more!

--
Jeff

Awesome, been checking the charts this morning and next week looks like its on the up! Its my last day of work friday then I have three weeks off for shut down, so if your around give me a shout and we'll try and have a dive somewhere!

Nice one. I should only have to be in Cardiff Tue/Wed/Thu going forward, working from home Mon/Fri so should be able to get out in the evenings.

Did have a week off last week, went to Pwll Du a couple of times. Seemed quite sheltered and lots of rocks/seaweed on the right hand side of the bay. Anyone ever checked it out at high tide?

--
Jeff

Never been to pwll du myself! Planning on getting around a few different beaches over the next couple of weeks, I'll have to take a trip down there! Fingers crossed for some good viz now!

Think it would be worth having a look for sure. The beach shelves quite quickly, so it'd be pretty deep even about 20 yards out. The fishing websites seem to say it's quite good too.

Where do you look for the charts fella?

--
Jeff

Yeah I'll pop down and let you know how I get off, yet to catch any fish yet this year :(

I use magic seaweed because I use them for surfing too, I mainly look for the opposite to what I would for surfing, then I use gower tides app on my phone to check to make sure the tides aren't too big!

Great day. Could have filled my stringer with bass and mullet. Took this handsome one home for the bbq. Pembs. Vis 5m.

Attachments

• 20140726_161439.jpg
    20140726_161439.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 183
Quick dive this evening. Northerly facing spot so vis was churned up a bit. 2m. Lots of nice size bass seen. All missed. I suppose im doing my bit for conservation..

At least you got some, currently less than 1m viz on gower, tides are on the up too so doubt we'll have any until late next week now! Only seen two fish the whole summer so far:(

Its definately getting more fishy though. I was lined up on a beauty of a bass last night. Pulled the trigger and had left the safety on. Doh. Off they swam. Saw quite a few others but no excuses for missing those- put it this way I wouldnt trouble anyone in a darts match. Winds eased off so hoping it may have helped the vis clear up a bit. Might get in tonight if I can get a pass.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT