• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Wales Club

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Back on the 5th, anyone around Wed 6th on? Days or evenings? I'll be heading west from Cardiff, so can pick up / lift share if required.

Hey buddy. Just started on a new account in Cardiff myself. Plan is to be there Tue/Wed/Thu, but I'll be working from home Mon/Fri so can't really do days - during the week at least.

Usually get home about half 6 or 7, so after that in the evenings; or any time on the weekend is pretty much OK. Although I've got a season ticket for the swans, so can't do the days they play at home!

Have you been in at all fella? I've been in a few times - sometimes with just a snorkel and mask to have a look what's about. Haven't seen much in the way of big fish, but have seen some tidy crabs about!

Good high tide dive. Lots of bass. Took one. Hit a triggerfish at range but he pulled off the spear. Searched for him for ages in the weed but no good. Shame beautiful fish.

Eta vis 3-4m. Was getting worse with rising tide down to about 2m when I got out. Pembs.

Attachments

• 20140730_212033.jpg
    20140730_212033.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 175
Reactions: ashbish
Bass about 3-5m. Triggers have been 5-8m deep. Been good recently. Love diving on evening high tides. Seems to bring the bass in. Triggers have been a nice bonus.

Awesome, do you just sit and wait in the weed or just swim and hope for the best?

Once I find the bass ive been diving down in the weed and wait for them to come back. Then try and get the biggest one. Saw a ballan wrasse that would have been weighed in stone not pounds tonight. Lucky for him he's not so tasty.

Triggers have been in the weed.

Reactions: ashbish
Cheers! Yet to catch anything yet, may have to head down your way for some viz! Seem to be doing real well!

I usually post a report here so people can get an idea of the vis. If you come down here, check google earth for kelpy stretches of coast. Try diving them at the top of the tide. Evening is best. Have fun.

Ok great thanks very much! Where abouts are you just for and idea of where to start looking?

Sounds good Radman!

I've found a dive shop in Cardiff, need to get some weights as I'm way too buoyant even in a 3mm wetsuit. Dunno what it is (don't laugh), but my arse seems to just float! Ha. I could probably just twerk to swim around... ;)

Ash - If you are ever game for a trip then let me know, claim most of my diesel back on expenses so don't mind a drive.

@KevinFlame, No I didn't get in at all in July, due to my father in law being taken into hospital for a fortnight, but things should be better when I get back now. Suggest we try and get an evening sometime then?
@ashbish @Radman same if you're around during the days let me know if you fancy company etc. I'm basically free 5th - 17th on leave so hoping for a) weather and conditions b) not too many holiday makers clogging up the beaches!

Yeah I'm definitely up for getting some more time in the water! I'm free from the 10th to the 17th so anytime between then I'll do my best to come along!
I know from the 10th we have the big august tides though, I'm sure they'll ruin the viz along south Wales/gower, will further west be effected?

Also, good to hear you have a week free there, would make a nice change to spear with someone for once! If I'm honest, I can't wait for the summer holidays to end so that we can go back to our secluded beaches, but that's another story...

I'm from caerphilly but travel every weekend to the gower because I have a caravan there, I don't mind heading further west to find some viz though, best I've seen all year was 2 meters down the gower and that lasted about an hour so I'm getting pretty fed up now!
Haha yeah totally agree, I've had people come up to me telling me surely I shouldn't be walking up a beach with a speargun, bearing in mind it was on my kayak and I tried telling the guy the bands needed to be stretched back for it to be loaded but he was having none of it so I just had to be rude and walk off! Tourists ay!

Ah that's very convenient for you! I'm getting tired of the traffic to get anywhere right now, and there are always those who interfere with what we do! I always try to keep a low profile. Weekends aren't great for me as SWMBO doesn't particularly like water lol, so I have to sneak and do any spearing as soon as the sun comes up (which is about 6:15 at the moment) and get back about lunch, but during the week she works, which is very convenient and gives me a lot of freedom :)

Haha well I'll check back on here on around the 10th because I'm going on holiday tomorrow and wont be back until the 8th, but anytime after then we'll have to sort something and get in the water and hopefully get some of the fish before @Radman gets them all!

Reactions: submarine
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT