• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Photos

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
those are some UGhhhLeeeeee fishes! :D

scott, what gun did you use in this year's USA Nationals held in Carmel, CA? :confused:

anderson

Anderson,

I have a nice 90 cm OMER Aluminum (carbon barrel, aluminum muzzle and handle) with a reel on it. It was a little too dirty for that size gun but I made due. I would have liked to had a 70 cm.

Iya,

I don't know what's up with the lingcods (I'm from Florida) but all the big ones I've seen taken at the 2 N.CA Nationals I've been to have that big belly on them. I think maybe they're just pigs. The winning fish in 2000 (35 lbs) had a 10 lb octopus in it's belly.

Scott T.

Nice bag of fish Scott . What did you find in the stomach ? Looks like you lucked into a freebie fish , or maybe you stuffed one down the ling to increase the weight ?rofl

Abri,

A lot of the top divers spent the last few days before the comp hand feeding their fish. I saw one Hawaiian heading out the day before the tournament with 4 boxes of squid on his kayak. I didn't feed any of my fish. One reason was because my fish didn't really come together until the last day (I finally found all 4 of my lingcod). The locals say feeding them accomplishes 2 things: it makes them heavier for the weigh-in and increases the chance of them being home on tournament day. Not very sporting if you ask me. But regardless if they've been hand fed or not, the fish in N.CA are about the stupidest I've ever seen. It takes absolutely no skill to kill them, the difficult part lies in finding them. One of my teammates spent the whole year scouting on SCUBA, other divers were there for a month burning 3-4 tanks a day. Once you know where they live (the larger species: lingcod, cabezon, and sheephead live in one particular hole or small area) then shooting them is no problem.

Scott T.

Sheesh Scott , I had to read your mail twice before I was convinced you were serious . Have never heard of people actually doing that , it's just a standard gag back home . AS you said , not very sporting .

I've SEEN people doing it. Not only did I see the squid this year but another top, top team had sardines in gallon ziplock bags on their kayaks the day before the tournament. I smelled them when two of the teammates paddled up to me and when I looked over on their boards there were the bags. Also, at this year's Nationals they allowed shooting fish in the tournament zone up until the day before the tournament and believe me, plenty of shooting was going on!

Scott T.

hey - does anyone know if there is a Canadian National team?

I just moved back to the freeworld and would like to continue hunting. Myself and my teammate won many of the comps in Saudi. all small time - but hey - was a big deal there.

and all that talk of Lingcod - this is my new tatoo (as soon as dive season is over) a lingcod....

willer

Last edited:
Nice one , Willer .:cool:
Here's mine , had it done while I had Dengue fever ...had to stay out of the water anyway :D

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 732
Very cool ! ! !:cool: I want to make tatoo too but culdn't find any master class artist.:waterwork

....But regardless if they've been hand fed or not, the fish in N.CA are about the stupidest I've ever seen. It takes absolutely no skill to kill them.....

Sturgeon,
I concur, its finding them thats the problem.

I had read that a couple of years ago the guy who shot the biggest ling at Russian Gulch/River(?) hand feed that fish for awhile. As far as Im concerned thats CHEATING! :rcard
Its not even a comp. anymore.
Something should be done to prevent/halt that type of behavior. Id like to think that we as spearos have more intergrity than that.

Anthony
On the road...

Willer,

Only 20 teams are allowed in the Worlds this year (5 from the Americas, 10 from Europe, and I think 5 from what they call Oceana). I don't believe Canada has a slot.

Anthony,

Hand feeding an individual fish to make it easier to kill later in a tournament doesn't sit very well with me either. But as long as it's legal, I won't call somebody who does it a cheater. It would be nice if the rules would be changed though.

BTW, I had the good fortune to meet and dive with another DB member this weekend. I took Angelos (from Boca) diving with me on Saturday. He's a good diver and we shot some nice fish. One guy on the boat got a 12 lb mutton snapper. In 60 ft of water we could look over from the boat and see the reef. It was a very nice day and I enjoyed meeting and diving with Angelos (as I have with all 3 DB members I've taken diving on my boat).

Scott T.

It was certainly great fun diving with Scott. I have to admit that the current was WICKED and you only got one shot at a fish. If you missed it you better kiss it goodbye because you can't dive the same spot twice (unless the boat picks you up). We saw some nice size muttons and that 12 lb snapper was very nice.

So no Canadian Slot? Well there must be some canucks out there that want to start a team! yes, new mission...... Any Canadians who want to start a spearfishing team - PM me!

Feeding fish would have been looked at very harshly in any of the circles I hunt with, really hard to belive it's alowed. Where is the sport in that?

Willer

Here's an idea...

Let's keep this thread about actual pictures, past and recent and we can have this discussion on a thread I'll be starting momentarily- Competitive Spearfishing- Ethics or Pathetics?

By the way, here's some more of Northern California's stupid fish, prior the fry pan...:hmm

sven

Last edited:
I usually photograph better...

I swear the ones yesterday were bigger! Really!

Remind me to tell FredReicher, a DB member here to move closer and shoot up for the full effect. :D That and I gotta start holding the fish out towards the camera.

Nice striper. . . what a Fluke?

Hey Sven - I thought of you yesterday while watching RoboCop. Make the connection? (and I don't even know you :D )

Doug

Attachments

• postpic.jpg
    postpic.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 783
Never saw the movie....

Nice fish though! Hey, did they have Men's suits where you got yours?? :girlie (Aw ease up, I'm shittin ya.) It'd be nice to dive where that kind of suit would work.:crutch

sven

Very coll; never saw the house like tha before. Is it yoursrofl rofl rofl rofl

wherever you go...there you are

I was going to ask you the same question.
(I have WAY too much time on my hands - but I'm trapped at work) Nice rack by the way.

Attachments

• svensuit.jpg
    svensuit.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 745
Reactions: Amphibious
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT