• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static PB's

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What's your static PB?

• 0:00-1:00

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 1:00-2:00

Votes: 32 5.2%
  • 2:00-3:00

Votes: 96 15.6%
  • 3:00-4:00

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • 4:00-5:00

Votes: 164 26.7%
  • 5:00-6:00

Votes: 121 19.7%
  • 6:00-7:00

Votes: 40 6.5%
  • 7:00+

Votes: 20 3.3%

• Total voters
Some people get too hot when doing dry statics, but I have never had this problem. If you are feeling cold but not actually shivering, it might not be a problem, but I start shivering soon after getting in the pool unless I move around.

Being cold takes about 1:30 - 2+min off my static time, and it isn't psychological - I really do run out of air.

Lucia

Congratulations!
First contraction after how long?
Did you do any training to improve?
How was the warm up to your trial?

All the best

Originally posted by naiad
I always think it's funny to see the look on a lifeguard's face when someone is doing a long static!

Well... It can be a good way to freak someone out.

I think DB covered a competion a fair while ago where there was this picture taken from above a pool. It showed people practicing statics. The caption under it read "These people are not dead. They are just doing statics". Sort of funny when you know what's going on, but otherwise it certainly looks unnatural.

I also got a bit of a scare myself a few weeks ago. I was doing dynamics. At one point I looked across the pool while immersed and saw the figure of a human, lying motionless at the far end of a lane. As there are no other freedivers there, it could only mean one thing... I aborted immediately and rushed over. Turns out it was one of them rescue-dolls they sometimes use for rescue training. Still, before I found that out, all kinds of scary thoughts went through my head.

Without doing too much fingerpointing, I think it's generally a good idea to communicate certain things with the pool staff, if they are not used to freedivers.

I think this subject somehow jumped threads (the quote by Tommy is from "funny dive stories"?).

Anyway, I'm not so worried about the staff, they know what we're doing. But I do sometimes worry about the little kids watching us. Because if I had been a 10 year old and seen someone dive 100m or hold their breath for 5 min, I would've thougth "That's so cool! Gotta try that!". This is of course a good thing it properly channeled, but can be a very bad thing if these kids just go out and try it.

Anyone else ever worry about this? :)

Then again, I did think it was cool, and I did try all kinds of crazy things when I was a kid and I'm still here and so are all of my childhood friends...

Hi Fabio,

I don't think there were any contractions, maybe one about 4:45, but no more.
I have been doing tables, both CO2 and O2, and I'll keep doing them because they make a big difference.
For the warm up I did statics of 4:30, 5:00, 5:00.
I have tried doing shorter warm ups, but for me the only thing I have discovered so far that works is to push a bit on the first attempts. I always do 2min breath-up for each one.

Lucia

Originally posted by naiad
Hi Fabio,

I don't think there were any contractions, maybe one about 4:45, but no more.

No contractions? That's amazing, I think. Did you still go through a "struggle phase" at the end where it was very uncomfortable to keep holding?

There was definitely a 'struggle phase', and I couldn't have done much more, but I usually don't get contractions now, even during max statics. I don't know why this has happened.

Lucia

Hello Lucia,
If you get no contractions, what makes you stop your trial?
What do you feel in the struggle phase?
What happens if you try your max after lets say 1 min breath up?
I remember you saying that you had no contractions and blacked out in one of your max trials.
Have you read a thread about the Bohr effect?
Probably your blood is too alkaline due to diet or something else and probably you need less breath up and more contractions to overcome those 5:18 without blacking out.
I recently joined the gym and I've been doing some weight training not specifically for diving and until I get rid of all the acid lactic and the tiredness of the whole body recovering from the daily workouts I'm not really pushing to the 6+ again. Not yet. Yesterday just did a 5:30 before going to sleep for practice.

Good to know that your times are improving! Keep up with the good work. Very soon you'll be head to head to Mandy Ray.. who knows...

All the best

Reactions: naiad
For the last part of a long static, I feel a strong urge to breathe, but it usually never shows itself as contractions. Yesterday I did a difficult O2 table, with hold times of 2:38 - 4:47, and intervals of 1:15. Even on the last hold, which was 4:47, only 1:15 after the previous 4:36 hold, I did not get any contractions!

I will look for more info on the Bohr effect.

Cheers

Lucia

dry vs wet

I’m making some progress in matching my dry statics to my wet ones. Well still haven’t tried in the same conditions but I’m quite happy with my last trial.
My dry PB is 6:10.
Yesterday I did some statics in the pool after just 10 minutes after heavy weight training. My heart was still pumping faster than normal and my muscles and body was pretty much tired apart from feeling a bit cold in the water too.
I managed a 5 min hold in the 3rd trial. I could not prepare for the 4th trial as I was shivering in every breath (don’t have a wetsuit yet like Lucia).
So, probably in good conditions I should be able to pull this extra minute (to match my dry one) and probably improve from there.
Let’s see…
All the best

my latest pb was 3:30 (me and my partner do an okay check at 30 second intervals) it felt pretty easy, considering i havent done any form of apnea for around 6 months, and after a week of training im at this point. my all time PB was 7:18. that was an all out max, generaly i stay under 5:30

my latest pb was 3:30 (me and my partner do an okay check at 30 second intervals) it felt pretty easy, considering i havent done any form of apnea for around 6 months, and after a week of training im at this point. my all time PB was 7:18. that was an all out max, generaly i stay under 5:30

Just did a new PB 5:00 :D
It was my first max static attempt since August, my old PB was 4:30. Since then I have been doing mostly CO2 tables and a few O2 tables every once in a while. I can't wait to do a static in the pool, I find that sitting on a chair is restricting my breathing.
Both of these were dry, but I do wear my mask though, so I wont breath through my nose (I don't have a nose clip). I got a weird look the first time my girlfriend saw me sitting in front of the computer with a mask and huge headphones, she must have thought I really lost it:duh. Does anyone else wear there masks for dry statics?

Reactions: naiad
Hey Matrixed, I also wear my mask when doing dry statics. In my weird way of thinking I believe that by wearing the mask anytime I do a static it conditions my mind to think that when the mask is on his face he will be holding his breath. Just looking for that little edge like everyone else. Any others out there?

matrixed82..teh big 5:00~ i was so happy once i got there, but getting anything higher is a challenge for me now.. lol.. personally i think i tired my body too quickly.. and now i'm making my normal holding pratice thing going to be 2-3-4.. for me persoanlly my body hasn't have had any expirence so once i get into the whole 4 minute/5 minute spot my body/face freaks out.. but the good thing is it get easier hehe..well kind of.. i just don't notice the little contractiosn back around the 2 minute area. Mat, maybe we could have a little contest? it would be to see who could reach 6:00 first? i like challenges.. lol cuzz static is so.. by yourself at least for me and i'm compairing it to track.. cuzz there you have all the compitetion you need and it just seems easier to work harder.. but i'm thinking maybe by suday we would recap and see who's the farthest? i think it would be fun >.< if you don't wanna be in it well that's more then fine with me. good luck!

Just started the winter dry static blues training regime again...

Found a good video on pranayama excercises which helps so you can see the pace etc - results so far in my quest for a winter dry static PB :

Saturday - 2mins bhastrika / 2mins kapalabhati / 3x uddihya bandha then a 2:15 hold with contractions at 1:45 I think - 3min breathing relaxed then a 4:15 hold with contractions at 3:15.

Tuesday
(2min b / 2min k / 3x u)
2:30 hold with contractions at 2:10
4:30 hold with contractions at 3:20

These aren't max holds but working up to beat last years winter dry static of 5:30...

Ed

don't have a clue really, last time i timed it was a year ago :p

Isabelle,

Your PBs in both static and dynamic are pretty good. How long have you been freediving?

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT