• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static PB's

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What's your static PB?

• 0:00-1:00

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 1:00-2:00

Votes: 32 5.2%
  • 2:00-3:00

Votes: 96 15.6%
  • 3:00-4:00

Votes: 136 22.1%
  • 4:00-5:00

Votes: 164 26.7%
  • 5:00-6:00

Votes: 121 19.7%
  • 6:00-7:00

Votes: 40 6.5%
  • 7:00+

Votes: 20 3.3%

• Total voters
Maybe you guys are intending to mean stopping does not decrease apnea ability if you maintain the same lifestyle throughout that period of time. So, I would clarify that if you don't, then definately apnea is easily reduced. What you eat, how much exercise, how busy you are, how much you drink, how much of various nutrients, mental confidence, etc...

When I stopped for 3/4 of a year, I definately had a drop in my apnea, from 8min down to 6:30-7:00, and it took me a few weeks to get back to 8.

Cheers,

Tyler

I seem to be one of the few people who has had compete blackouts during dry static. It happened twice or three times, basically a huge samba with enough memory loss that I wake up uncertain of what has happened. It happened on a 7'45" dry, and on an 8'15" and also I think an 8'05". It only ever happens when I ignore my body signals and focus on reaching a certain target time. I have often had dry sambas going for 8+. Usually my last thought is, 'I'm close to 8, go for it no matter what....' Next thing I know it is near 8'20" and I try to breathe and instead samba. In other words, by the time I would pass 8' I would be so 'out of it' that I would forget to stop the apnea and just keep going almost unconsciously forcing through the contractions until the BO occurs, even though I long since surpassed the 'target time.' Of course I have had numerous 8+ statics totally clean, but they are paralleled with as many sambas.

Reactions: oferdegi
I have also had complete blackouts during dry static, about three times. It happens very rarely considering the number of dry and pool statics I have done, but it has happened.

Lucia

Yesterday
i decided to make a big hold and force myself a little bit more to see what's gonna be happen, Still alive :D
My plan was the break the wall ..i mean 5:00 or 5+ min wall
what i did exactly it was....5 min breath up to be ready before big hold...
and then i made a big hold...it was 5.01min ..i really get schock cos' i always almost stuck at 4:45, this time i passed :) .when the last.. i was ok...my vision was lightly bad.but i was really ok..while doing this time i closed my eyes...maybe i was almost asleep...
I think i turned the first page..but i do not know what to do ...my next plan 5:30. i do not know lung pack and really do not do lung pack..when i get more breath it makes me stress...and my hold decreasing, i almost fill %70 :confused:
my question is:
from now on one every day 1 big hold study is the best(uhh?) or must stop working tables, i really hate working them :D ..????!!!! ...or any idea will be helpfull.Thank you who give any study program or helpful technick to arrive 5:30 wall. Sorry my english is really bad , i sometimes me also do not understand what i wrote :rcard

Last edited:
Personally I don't think the tables really give you much when you reach a certain level.

5+ would for me definately be that level. I would (and did) just concentrate on max statics.

Doing them daily is too much. Personally I found the best results by doing 3-4 days in a row and then resting the rest of the week.

Remember, development requires recovery. If you don't recover, you don't develop. It's much more useful to rest and do the exercises of full strength than to struggle while not fully recovered.

Try to find a solid routine:
-What did you do that day before the apnea (did you exercise...Jogging? Gym? Stressful day at work?)
-What did you eat, when?
-How did you warm up (How may warmups? How long? How long breaks in between?)
-What was your breathup (how long, how frequent, how deep?)

Log down these variables, and try different things. Take not on what works and especially what ruins your static. Develop a solid routine, ie. what do I need to do to always get the same result.

Last edited:
jome said:
Doing them daily is too much. Personally I found the best results by doing 3-4 days in a row and then resting the rest of the week.
You mean day after day just make a big hold... 1,3,5,7(days of the week)
jome said:
Remember, development requires recovery. If you don't recover, you don't develop. It's much more useful to rest and do the exercises of full strength than to struggle while not fully recovered..
i did not undrestood what recovery means...can you open it pls?
jome said:
Try to find a solid routine:
-What did you do that day before the apnea (did you exercise...Jogging? Gym? Stressful day at work?)
-What did you eat, when?
-How did you warm up (How may warmups? How long? How long breaks in between?)
-What was your breathup (how long, how frequent, how deep?)
1: i did not any ecxercise
2:wake up breakfast at 8:00 am and before dinner at 4:00 pm i made my big hold..did not eat anything..i never do lunch(8hrs later) ..anyway..
3: i used bill stromberg notes to breatup
he says in his notes: Place yourself on the bed and relax, breathe deep, but normal. After 5 minutes of breathing, take three deep breaths after another.
After the third inhale, make a powerful exhale emptying your lungs totally - a bit more if possible. immediately after emptying your lungs take a powerful (from your toes) inhale filling the lungs to approximate 98 %, and hold your breath
. i filled up % 70 more makes me stress
i used bill' notes , thats all
What kind of breathup techink you using before BIG HOLD jome ?

Last edited:
SEDATE..what are you doing is hiperventilating..it can be very dangerous ..

My preparation:
Before "big hold" I usually do 3-4 warm-ups : I hold my breath until the very soft first contraction. Between warm-ups I breath slowly (5s inhale,10s exhale)..its very relaxing.. Then after warm-ups, before the "big hold" I relax my self breathing slowly...when I think I am ready, I slowly exhale all the air in my lungs using abdomen. Then I inhale and fill lungs to about 70%..

Hey I am not sure that 3 deep breathes makes a hyperventilation case ? ... depends on rate I guess ?!
Ed

Sedate
The advice that you are following is very good, but let me add a few suggestions.
One thing that you should try is lung stretches. Before you start the five minute breath up, inhale to the max and hold for 30 seconds, two or three times. To do a max inhale, start with the diaphragm (your belly rises), then your chest, then your shoulders up and back and finally raise your chin. This will get you more comfortable with full lungs. With 70% lungs, you have about 20% less oxygen.
Another thing to try is a warm up procedure of increasing statics as Gnioco suggests. Some of the very best only do one hold, but most of us do the best time on #3-5. When I train steady and am in good shape my best hold is often #6 and #7 is almost as good, even when I use 2 minutes between holds.
Let us know if anything works.
Aloha
Bill

Thanks... i ll take into consideration all :)
Especially thank to you Mr. Bill , you always help me :)
All the best, Sedate

By recovery I mean rest.

There is no progress without resting.

With training, you "shock" your body to adapt. But it adapts on the resting period, when it "rebuilds" it self.

If you do something extreme your body cannot handle, it will cause the body to try and better prepare for that situation in the future.

For example, you lift some heavy weights. Your muscles get sore. You rest and eat and the muscle builds and comes back "better than ever". But if you don't rest, just go straight to training again, all you do is hurt your muscle. You're doing all the work, but not reaping any of the benefits. For some people this is a very hard lesson to learn (my self included). You have to allow your self to skip training now and then and just rest and allow the benefits to come, then go back to training again. Training should not be about how bad it makes you feel subjectively, but how much it develops you objectively.

In my opinnion, the same principle applies to apnea.
I don't know how to better explain it :)

Reactions: naiad
I also find that rest periods are very important. With all kinds of training, the most progress is made when there is the right balance of rest and effort. It also applies to mental skills. Trying to do a lot at once may seem better in the short term, but it is hard to keep up this pace, and I don't find it a good way of learning. Since apnea, at least static, is partly a mental skill, maybe this is why it is better after a break.

I also find that my O2 and CO2 tolerance declines fast if I don't train, so it's a matter of finding a balance.

Lucia

I'm really amazed how these tables work. Lungfish said to me that I'm already going to see the difference after the first phase and at first it was quite hard to belive (I mean c'mon, what can you do with one week if you do 2 exercises per week?).
But today, when I was doing my second week O2 table... woah. Last week I almost blacked out when I tried to hold my breath for 2:15 - today I held it for 2:30 EASILY, could've hold even longer.

Thanks fellas :) You're great help.

Mr_[LEFT said:
Miyagi[/left]]I'm really amazed how these tables work. Lungfish said to me that I'm already going to see the difference after the first phase and at first it was quite hard to belive (I mean c'mon, what can you do with one week if you do 2 exercises per week?).
But today, when I was doing my second week O2 table... woah. Last week I almost blacked out when I tried to hold my breath for 2:15 - today I held it for 2:30 EASILY, could've hold even longer.

Thanks fellas :) You're great help.
Yes Lungfish is very helpful :). He has been a great resource and help in my training.

Just to note that your increase in time might not have been from the O2 or CO2 Tables. As others have stated its very much your mental ability. When I was doing my static PB I didn't use any o2 tables or CO2 tables for training and I reached 3:45 seconds.

I am working on my tables now to increase my time. I am also amazed at how much they can improve your times. I felt as if I had reached my max at 3:45. I will be reaching this time soon enough when I continue with my tables. Also Akoni has been a great help as well... those 2 are very helpful in helping beginners out :)

Just for the record, I have never done tables. In 6 months I went from 4 minutes to over 8 minutes and that was with only sporatic training, if you can call it training.

I am not saying CO2 tables are not worthy or do not have an effect.

I will say it is possible that CO2 tables have no more of an effect than just doing some near max statics 3 times a week. I do not believe there has been any documented evidence that tables help more so than a max static attempt or max duration empty lung attempt. Anybody heard of any?

So far, CO2 tables are only a suggested theory of what may be effective. Everybody probably could say they are more helpful than not doing any breathholding, but in terms of effectiveness, they may not present any gain over other simple forms of breathholding and practicing.

Cheers,

Tyler

My experience is similar to Tyler's. Never actually done any tables, just maximum statics basically. And sometimes different things, but always max effort. For example series of FRC statics, no warmup statics etc.

During the fastest development phase I did train regularily. But even now, with very unregular training, I seem to make improvements.

I believe the tables work, because quite simply you get used to doing statics by doing them. If you work the tables, you improve all areas of it...Relaxation, concentration, warmup routines. Sure there is most likely some physiological adaptation as well, but it's not the whole truth.

In defense of tables, they are a great tool for beginners to start regular training and develop. It gives structure and effort and concrete goals to concentrate on. But once you reach a certain level (and with individual variation I would say that is the 4-5 minute level) you will propably benefit more from semi-regular max static type of training. With all that structure and goals comes the danger of getting stuck on the regularity of it. You condition your self to do the tables, not actual statics. So at some point, you have to "break free" so to speak if you want to progress...

But, that's just my view of it, I wouldn't be surprised if there is or will be someone who reaches 8 minute statics with just doing tables...

Last edited:
jome said:
I wouldn't be surprised if there is or will be someone who reaches 8 minute statics with just doing tables...
I'll try... :D

I find tables useful because it is less of a physical strain for me to do CO2 and O2 tables than max statics, so I can do them more often. This is what I am doing now, but maybe soon I will find that I have exhausted the potential of tables, and move onto max statics.

Lucia

Hi everybody.

I´m on training from October = by my own, without any course taken but I do plan to take a part in one during summer. I want to prepare for my Hawaii trip. :)
My trainings contains pool diving and dry static. Plus some gym work outs.
I mostly train twice a week - on bus - spending long time commuting, so enjoy the ride while holding a breath. Last time I used the bus driver's digital watch above his head - it has just minute counter so I went like - 2 minutes breathing, 3 minutes holding. It was about 200km ride so I did it for 1.5 hour. The ride was never so fast before. :-D
And my dry statics are mostly done in bed - just after waking up - I feel very relaxed so I already got above 6 minutes few times - PB is 6:15
While doing the static during a daytime - I usually get to 4 - 5 minutes level.
:)

Thank you all for contributing

Petr

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT