• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Static with no warm-up

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So far none of my training has been in water. I think that the water itself is relaxing at least for me, so I can't wait to do it in water. I agree that training everday generally not needed or even beneficial. I was just doing it last week because somewhere in my head I wanted to hit 6:00 for 7 days straight. It did help my confidence--right now I am thinking I can go there anytime. I still have alot of work to do on my relaxation technique though. My heart rate is starting way too high, and when I start the hold it shoots up a good bit, even when I don't pack. One thing, today 6:00 is no more difficult than 5:00 was a few weeks ago, so I am making progress. I am hoping it will continue.

Take care all,

Walt

'6:47 (10 min after 4:30 aborted hold), '

verrry interesting. Jessica and I have been training more than normal this year. In the last 5 years our technique has become about as different as you can get, with one exception. We both end our prep with a 4 1/2 hold and a 7-8 minute breathe up. Your 4 1/2/10/6:47 PB looks very similar.

Yea I think everyone different in what works best especially when fine tuning for max holds or competition. I am not sure if I ultimtately want to add a warmup hold to my routine or not. I don't need it to go to 6:00-6:10 but I might need it to consistently go farther than that, at least initially. Seems like there is a good freediving community there in Kona. I lived in Hawaii on Oahu for a long time before I retired and moved to Thailand. Not any freediving here to speak of, except at Koh Lanta. I was hoping there would be a competition in the USA later this year that I could attend but so far nothing that I have heard of. There is a competition in Sweden in August in all the disciplines that might be a good opportunity for me to gain some experience. It would be great to see what other people are doing in the way of warmups and preparation.

Aloha back at ya,

Walt

'Yea I think everyone different in what works best '

OOps, my wife accuses me of not saying things clearly. What I meant to say is...... It doesn't care what you do to relax and after you're relaxed the 4 1/2/7-8/max pattern is hard to beat. Everyone is the same. imho

Today managed a 6:43 hold, no warmup holds. I did normal breathe up for me, 6 deep breaths per minute starting about 40 minutes before the hold with periodic packing stretches during that time. About 6-7 minutes before the hold I felt kind of blah (sorry to use such technical language), so I increased my breathing rate to about 7.5 breaths per minute, no purge breaths, no packs, last exhale fully, then inhale and hold. Felt great all the way to 5:30-6:00. After that just pushed my way to the end. Mostly I was surprised at 5:30 that I felt so good. I guess taking a day off yesterday didn't hurt. I have noticed that my heart rate is pretty high during a hold. My normal resting rate is about 45-50. During a long hold it averages in the 70s with a high in the first minute above 100. I don't look at the monitor during my hold though. I am thinking it is high because of the extra pressure put on the heart by a big breath, resulting in a lower stroke volume and higher heart rate. That is pure speculation, but I am getting good holds even with the high rate. Still, I would like to lower it.

Walt

Today did a 6:35 on my first hold of the day, This time I intentionally planned to accelerate my breathing rate at about 6 minutes before the beginning of the hold. So my breathe up was about the same as last time, still no packs or purge breaths. Felt great all the way through. Didn't get hard until after 6:00 point. I didn't notice any significant difference in how I felt today during my hold and the other days when I did 6:47 (one warmup hold) and 6:43 (no warmups). So I am not sure at this point if warmup holds would even help me at all. Stay tuned.

Walt

Bill and Jessica, thanks for your input, I will try that sometime. If I get any leverage out of the 4:30 warmup hold I will let you know.

Walt

Hi there,

I'm kinda new to this sport yet very excited. My training shedule now is quite simple.

I do 2 sets of holds a day.

I - 12:00

II - 16:30

Each set contains 3 holds. The general rule i try to follow is:
first hold: not less than 3 min
second hold: not less than 3:30 min
third hold: max

I don't do any pre holds, pre breath ups and etc. Pauses between holds are ~3 min.

My current PB is 4:46 and i reaaaally want to cross the 5 min mark ..

This is just great topic guys, I have learnded a lot from this, and I decide to try this routine after Pool WC in Maribor!

Till now I did my max static at 5-th or 6-th attempt... I starter from around 3:30min (1min in contractions) then every static after is around 1min longer, i start packing at my 3-th static... and my best ones are around 7min (around 2:30min in contractions - 20 or something of them). I am ready to lose a year if this method will give me a boost in a static time.

Just to add, this 7min has came after just 7 month's ot training so it's nice but I'll will be more than glad to be able to do my max on first try and to advanced my static time.

Well if someone of you had a advice, or som pointers I'll be more than happy to hear them...

Faeton,

Last year when I was training using CO2/O2 Tables, my PB was 6:30 after an O2 Table. I was never able to even come close to repeating it any other way. Like you I have only been training a short time, for me since November of last year with a 4 month break from Jan-Apr. In April I decided to start focusing on doing holds without warmup holds. In the time since then I have gone from doing 4:00 with great difficulty to what I have done this last week--6:43, holiday, 6:35, holiday, 6:34, and yesterday a 6:30. All of these were done without warmup holds, and the 6:35 was on the first hold of the day. The biggest change I have noticed is in my consistency. If you look at my holds prior to this month, there is no real consistency in them. Also when I started this in April, the holds felt really bad. That has improved to the point where my holds now feel about the same as I recall with warmup holds, possibly better. The only thing is, when I was doing tables, I only had one 6:00 and one 6:30 hold, so almost no experience at those levels. Since May 27, I have had holds of 6:00 or greater 15 times (every training day) and 6:30 or above 5 times since June 4 (every training day). That kind of consistency would have been unthinkable using warmup holds and tables, I would be dead by now LOL, but when doing only one or two holds a day, it is no problem. I am getting more experience in the last two weeks over 6:00 than I could have gotten in several months of tables. Also, 10 minutes after one aborted hold of 4:30, I reached 6:47, my new PB. Anyway, good luck in worlds, and good luck in your training.

Walt

Last edited:
Yesterday I did a dry static PB of 5:51. It did not feel too close to the limit, and I really wasn't expecting to beat my PB after such a long time of stable performances. Now I have to work out what I did right! :D

Lucia

Thankyou Pete, Andrew, Simo. :)

I did not pack for that one. I do not pack for dry statics, and only a little for wet statics. I find it easier without packing, at least for now.

Well that makes it even more impressive - what was your previous pb?

Awesome time there Naiad. My PBs in dynamic have come twice with no
warm-ups. In comp 101m+

So this thread is very interesting.
I've tried a few wet no-warm up statics last year but I find the urge to breathe is too much to handle there.Only managing 3:00~
Wet PB is 4:40 with 3 warm-ups. And like you was packing for every dive. Tried a few without packing, very surpised it made no difference.

When approx did u get contractions? , Longer I can delay them more confidence I get.Last comp was going really well until 3:30, then as soon i felt them start, i go into panic mode, ive never been able to handle them. Manage to last until 4:09, exit was shocking. I get huge contractions, my
whole body lifts out ,which is making my ultimate target of 5 mins a real challenge, feels near impossible really.:head 5 minutes sounds so cool.
I think ppl stuck at the 4:40-4:50 mark know that all 2 well.

But I'm looking at giving a no warm static in comp a crack, in a few weeks.:)
Not sure if I'll have the same success as dynamic in the no warm up.Only way is to try it.

Last edited:
I did do warm-ups for the PB. The no warm-up method hasn't worked for me so far. I can do quite a long first static, but not a max.

I probably got contractions at about 5:00 for the 5:51, but they never became strong and there were long intervals between them. The urge to breathe never became intense, and I finished without any sign of LMC or feeling of being at the limit.

Tried some pool statics yesterday and did over 4:00 on the first one, then up to 4:34. I had not done a 4:30+ wet static for over a year and a half. It did not feel anywhere near the limit. Normally any 4:15+ wet static or 5:15+ dry static feels like I am pushing the limit.

I can't wait to get some more training done. :D

Kiwi GEE, good luck with the comp. :)

I was buddying naiad in her pool statics, and she looked very composed after each hold. No sign of blueness, vacant stares or trembles.

Reactions: BennyB
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT