• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diameter

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

What rail and spear diameter option would you choose?

• Enclosed track 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Enclosed track 6.5mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 18 36.7%
  • Open track 6.5mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Open track 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Rail gun 7mm sharkfin spear

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Rail gun 6.5 sharkfin spear

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • Rail gun 7mm notched spear

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Rail gun 6.5mm notched spear

Votes: 10 20.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diame

well mid handle, rear handle or no handle Ill still take the gun!roflrofl

Re: The DeeperBlue.net Gun Building Extravaganza - Gun Options 3 - Rail & Spear Diame

Mid Handle on a 90? seems to me like you would be taking the range out of it

Handle is only for swinging - the question is band stretch. On my Riffe, midhandle (140cm) the shaft loads waaay aft of the handle (And close to my face!:blackeye). A small push rod runs from the handle to the trigger mechanism.

Look at where the sharkfins are in relation to the handle. (Sorry - Riffe site again.) And as others, elsewhere have pointed out, Riffe's have quite a bit of lumber behind the handle. For reference, the top gun in the picture is 96cm.

Attachments

• midseries.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

sorry, what i meant by range was the amount you loose in your reach. I understand that the band stretch will be the same but you loose about a foot of reach. maybe not a problem.

Yes I think that's why the euro rubber guns are rear handled to give maximum reach in relatively clear water of Med. I would prefer rear handle on this Euro gun.

I always thought "Euro" gun meant handle at the end, that to me was its defining characteristic, and thats what was voted for wasn't it?

Me, I like the longer reach, I miss enough fish as it is without making them 30cm further away as a midhandled gun would!

Reactions: foxfish

I always thought that the classic euro was a pipe gun that used a half moon notch on the spear and inline bands (just like the old Nemrods).

I always thought that the classic euro was a pipe gun that used a half moon notch on the spear and inline bands (just like the old Nemrods).

Pastor excuse me but for me this is quite irrelevant.
Nowadays when people say "euro" they have in mind the picture of a specific type of gun design, that is rear handle.
Of course I can just speak for myself, but I guess that all the guys who voted "euro" in the DB poll had in mind that type of gun that is currently referred to as "euro", whose handle is in the rear.

PS: in Italy and France we call it "arbalete". The word "euro" is inappropriate IMHO, but it's generally used in anglo countries and so it goes...

Reactions: foxfish and Magpie

OK OK, we won't have a poll on handle position!

Reactions: foxfish

Only 2 days left on this poll and much less votes than last time. Let's see those votes, there's no use regretting it once it's closed

Spear configuration aside (notched vs. sharkfins), the Rail Gun, 6.5mm shaft seems about two votes more popular.

It seems a bit unfair vs. the enclosed track, as that has only one spear fitting option: the sharkfins

(Just stirring the pot...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor

What exactly are you saying here? That the 6.5mm should be grouped together?

I dont quite get you point Rick just tell me that again?
We want this to be as diplomatic as possible but it seems to me the enclosed track is way in front?

fox i think i see what rick means.. if you look at the last option on the poll and then at the 3rd from the bottom..they are both talking about 6.5mm spear on a rail gun, but people cant decide between notched and shrkfin...so rick is saying if you group these 2 options as (6.5mm railgun) it would be more popular then the enclosed track 6.5mm which is the apparent winner so far...
the other point he makes is that the enclosed track only has the option of sharkfins..so poeple have no choice of getting getting split votes between notches and shark fins like what's going on with the railgun...

Rick, does this sound right? bear in mind though that with enclosed track you cannot have notches (you wont be able to load it) you can only have sharfins..big ones too..probably will mandate an open muzzle as well

Reactions: Lockedin

interesting point!

I'm disappointed that we've rules out a mid-handled or rear trigger design, thought from earlier discussion that was still a possibility. (Maybe that'd be an option for a longer gun next year?!).

I haven't voted yet, heeding the advice to view the discussion first. My initial preference was for railgun with 6.5/6.3mm spear (probably a single notched 6.3 for a gun with no support for an optional second rubber or a double notched 6.5 if there is provision for an optional second rubber).

My first thought on seeing Spaghetti's second bat-wing cross sectional view was: double barrel side-by-side! Deep down, I really don't think an enclosed track is a good idea. Not sure why, probably concerns about grit, sand, gunk getting stuck in there, non-straight spears, jammed mechs, spear-line routing (don't like the idea of rings, from discussions on Billers/JBLs/Sea Hornets), constraining spear diameter. However, reading the thread on them a while back I seem to recall one of the pioneers posting that he originally used them for a second barrel under the main barrel, so how about an over-and-under?! (Hey Picasso make a double spear speargun). Just kidding, it strikes me as very dangerous.

Final thought: 6.5mm railgun, notched for Dyneema wishbone (those darn SA's just got it right IMHO).

Last edited:
Reactions: Pastor and Lockedin

From my point of view an open track & a rail gun are quite different gun designs, both can be used with sharkfin spears but the rail gun (my perception) is more suitable for use with a sharkfin because the grove is cut deep to stabilize lateral spear distortion.
Obviously the enclosed track can only use that type of spear.
Mr x you are entitled to your views & the best of luck to you winning what you want.

Attachments

• P1030547(1).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 158
Reactions: Mr. X

...Rick, does this sound right? bear in mind though that with enclosed track you cannot have notches (you wont be able to load it) you can only have sharfins..big ones too..probably will mandate an open muzzle as well

Yes, Marwan, that was my point - Thanks for saying what I could not express properly!
And the inability for a notched shaft / enclosed track is my point: Perhaps notched / finned should be saved for a different poll.

Regardless, I can hardly wait to see this very special piece of work when it arrives on my doorstep!

Reactions: Marwan

... the rail gun (my perception) is more suitable for use with a sharkfin because the grove is cut deep to stabilize lateral spear distortion.
The sharkfin has a convincing lead. Yes, the railgun spears have deeper grooves so they don't cut into Dyneema wishbones, and yes a sharkfin spear would be stronger, although my 6.6mm RA spear seems more than tough enough for UK waters, we don't get many tuna. I guess it might be more of an issue for those shooting 50lb+ fish in the med & elsewhere. I am not aware of any lateral spear distortion with notched spears -- perhaps more of an issue with thinner 6mm/6.3mm spears? The notches are symmetrical so I am surprised that they would distort laterally rather than vertically. Call me sceptical but the issue sounds more theoretical than real - perhaps invented by a Marketing dept. to sell their new product.

Also, I would suggest a 2 notch spear even for a single rubber gun. Having just read Spaghetti's suggestion of using the front notch to "power down" for caves on a different thread.

There is a school of thought that believes that even on a rail gun shark fin shafts provide an advantage by less shaft oscillation during the acceleration of the shaft. How true that is I don't know but it's an option to vote for if you believe it.

I'm disappointed that we've rules out a mid-handled or rear trigger design, thought from earlier discussion that was still a possibility. (Maybe that'd be an option for a longer gun next year?!).

I'm disappointed about the handle too. I had hoped that we all were going to build a gun like no other, full of innovative ideas. The last thing I would call an accepted feature of a Eurogun would have been an enclosed track but that seems to have been readily accepted. Has the trigger been properly discussed yet? Maybe I missed that bit.

So when is all this gun building happening? I think it's about time a start was made by now.

youre right pastor.. I hear the Gits is getting his stuff in order and maybe we will see some progress pretty soon..

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…