• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The first freediving competition under ice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Thank you Steinar,
that videolink did my live much more richer.
Great dance to warm up before and after the nudedives :)!

R/

OK, I totally get that diving under the ice without a suit is a great challenge, but with a suit is really that much different from diving in let`s say 15`C. Is there anything else than maybe a thicker suit and a different warmup? I hope I don`t piss anyone off now, I haven`t done this so I`m just curious.
Anyone know if Kike is in this forum?

I bet Seb the pro is gonna kick my ass for being in his frame with my silly camera :) ?

Last edited:
Yes B-J, you'll need a very hot girlfriend afterwards :D

Some people say that a sauna is suffient, that may be true vor 15c water, but I recon for ice cold water that it will be too little too late.

And some fleece blankets to keep your unashamed ass from freezing onto the ice while prepairing or exiting the water.
Some wind blocking tents, with somestretchers and thick sleeping bags to wait for your OT.
Maybe with some posters of the warm Bahama's and hot laydies to keep the brain from freezing.
A strong heart, because it will be going to extremes, up and down...

For the more usefull tips I hope that mr. Fattah will chime in :)

Oh and plenty of courage....

Kars

Last edited:
well, Kars seems to have a very male aproach. I do not see how our female athlets will benefit from posters with bahama hotties here.

Strecher and sleeping bag might also be a bit much but I was thinking about a tent or pavilion with a gas fueled oven to dress and undress. We used that sort of thing for the christmas and new years diving and it helped a lot.

Reactions: island_sands
well, Kars seems to have a very male aproach. I do not see how our female athlets will benefit from posters with bahama hotties here.

Strecher and sleeping bag might also be a bit much but I was thinking about a tent or pavilion with a gas fueled oven to dress and undress. We used that sort of thing for the christmas and new years diving and it helped a lot.

We have the heated tent all figured out. I think that wearing warm clothes and moving around is much better than laying down in a sleeping bag.

I think that the most people who havn`t tried ice diving before will be surprised to se that its is not as cold as they think.

The weather will be the difference between success and great success :t

Reactions: ILDiver
An ice fishing shelter does wonders for sure.

I agree, but I think we will stick with the party tent.

We dont have those ice fishing shelters in europe. I guess it is because someone have made up a stupid rule that when we are outdoors we are actually out doors:)

The one we used is basically a small pop-up tent and it has seats in it. It was small though. 2 people was a tight fit. Similar to a small party tent. We used it on a windy -23C day. Point was, if you block the wind and have heat, it helps.

The one we used belongs to Whopperhead (forum member). Similar to this:
FishTrap_x2.jpg

Last edited:
wow, seats... Steinar, I want that for the judges! The athlets should come up where the fishing line is going in. I dont want to strech my hand out of the tent when I'm showing the card.

Martin, I'll lend you one of my amazingly warm mittens, so you won't freeze your fingers off. However, you can only hold white cards with it.:thankyou

Cheers!
Christian

Reactions: Kars
Lithuanian freedivers already train very HARD rofl
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R6BaDOtPfI"]YouTube - ??????? ????? ????????[/ame]

Reactions: apneaboy
This is more what it should look like:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb9eDEvNfnQ&feature=related]YouTube - Gordon Isbader[/ame]

It is the first time that we arrange any kind of freediving competition in Norway, but I think we are on track.

After a long period of nice and cold weather we have got 28 cm of top quality ice.

Here is few pictures from preparation for the Competition:

Picasa Nettalbum - steinar - Preparation f...

We have rented a house just 15 minutes walk from the lake that will be used as Headquarter and accommodation.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT