• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

The first freediving competition under ice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Steinar, do you have any idea of the visibility and especially of how deep you can still see the line?

It depends on if there is snow on the ice and general lighting conditions, but the visibility in Lutvann is pretty good.

We have a powerfull LED canister light under the bottomplate that you can see 25 meter before you reach the tags.

Maybe these videos can give you an idee of the visibility.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfXo-d353to&feature=related]YouTube - Fattigmanns-ROV[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8mwgdjWvGI&NR=1]YouTube - Icediving apnea[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyRxPKEM4-4]YouTube - Freediving under ice[/ame]

You should talk to Elisabeth Kristoffersen (or GirlOfWater on DB) as she is coordinating all media work. I'll tell her when I see her tomorrow... :)

Cheers
Martin

thanks! i need to chat to her as well, she is next up for an Apnea Profile article :)

That looks absolutely beautiful. Can't wait to come up and dive with you and enjoy the clear cold water!

There are still a few spots available for freedivers to participate in the first competition under the ice. This is something you would like to tell your grandchildren:crutch

The athletes are ranging from current world champions/record holders to first time competitors.

The competition has attracted a lot of media attention from journalists, photographers and videographers. Dan Burton is covering the event for Transworld sport and the program will be sent on 200 different channels.

Oslo Ice Challenge

We go with the olympic motto:

The most important thing is not to win but to take part!

Dabei sein ist alles!

Det viktigste er ikke å vinne, men å delta!

Cheers
Martin

Doing that in 2c water is very brave!
Doing a CNF dive to 25 meter is very impressive to me!

With my poor fat percentage, cold limbs, it's very challenging since the body uses so much energy to try to maintain it's warmth.

So don't be intimidated by 'the big shots', or the media attention, just enjoy the experience, go with style, like Steinar says it's an experience that will stay with you a lifetime!

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars.

ps. regretfully I need to save my income to pay back some very patient kind people.

Your Norwegian is very impressive martin!

To you and probably other freeidvers Gwahiri. Only prerequisite for this competition is to be a positive freediver :)

Imagine if the +/- symbol was necessary for announced performances:

Athlete1 -55m
Athlete2 -47m
Athlete3 42m (forgot the '-' sign)
Athlete4 -40m

Then, the tag for athlete3 is placed 42m up in the sky! That would take one incredible breach in order to reach it...

Not to mention the chance of not hitting water ( but the ice:crutch) when coming down again...

Then, the tag for athlete3 is placed 42m up in the sky! That would take one incredible breach in order to reach it...

I really want to know what you are smoking...:naughty Hands off them drugs, guys!!!

That`s it. From now on all information about the competition will be in Norwgian :martial

Preparations are running well for the competition. Here are some images from Bjarte and Steinar, busting their asses to shuffle the snow away.

Picasa Nettalbum - steinar - Preparation f...

We are looking at 30-40 cm of Ice under 60 cm of snow. Thats enough to make for nice benches for spectators... just bring something to put under your bud...

I really like the set up...
Divesite.jpg

And of course the podest made of ice... very classy...

for those who where not sure yet, we still have some spots open. As you can see the tent is ready next to the competition site... Just send Steinar a message...

My feelings go out for the in water judge too, at least the safety guys will have some exercise and re leave being changed.

I wonder weather the now flooded snow free area will be transparent when the water is frozen over again?

Where can I find the participants list?

And about those video's, how deep does that ROV camara go in this video?

Exiting, I wish I could be there!

Kars

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT