• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Vertical Blue 2009

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well isnt this interesting. William Winram desperatly going for a WR attempt 87 meter happy go Lucky style. With so many early turns people might hesitate to "put their money" on him, but what if he made it, what drama, and personal triumph. He HAS been down to 85 meter FIM the other day, so the ears could do it.
Then a few minutes later he might lose it to Herbert, going for a "hat trick" of three WR´s in one comp. He has been claimed to say about CWT: "if I can get down there, I will get up" (free qoute). What he is saying is that he is confident about having enough oxygene. He CAN do long dives, but is his CNF style good enough for a 88 meter dive? He has done a WR in this discipline earlier, 83 meters. I guess it all depends on shape and as he say himself: the feel good factor. (When will he tell us exactly how he trains:).
And as if the drama isnt enough Sara goes for a 100 cwt (as she "promised" to media).

But what is Trubridge up to. The AP shows he (at least claims to be) strong enough for a 107 CWT, but why not try 110 FIM and get back his record.

And to put cream on this freediving bull market: Herbert is off to break more records in the Med in may (if there are any left to break ;-). Focusing on the last record he never had: VWT.

And what can Stepanek, do? What has he been doing? Training? He as announced record attempts this spring.

Sebastian

PS I see lanyards at the waist in FIM? and CWT. Are the judges loose on this rule? or is it a rule or just a suggestion (waist lanyard only in CNF). What does the athletes prefer?

http://herbertnitsch.com/

http://www.verticalblue.com/news

Last edited:
Eric going for 77m FRC.

Would be a new FRC pb for him. If it goes well, he'll go deeper, time and energy allowing.

FYI- Eric has only done depth training in the Bahamas (I think 2-3 dives only) - unless you count exhale training here in Vancouver in the winter.

77 meter on FRC. Amazing, or more...interesting.

FYI- Eric has only done depth training in the Bahamas (I think 2-3 dives only) - unless you count exhale training here in Vancouver in the winter.
And...? Who says you need water to prepare for depth? I am sure he torments his lungs on land every day in various ways.

Sebastian
....Of to Dahab going to do a depth PB after only doing one dive in 7 months :)

77 meter on FRC. Amazing, or more...interesting.

And...? Who says you need water to prepare for depth? I am sure he torments his lungs on land every day in various ways.

Indeed, he does!

Good luck in Dahab!

You lot are just amazing - You are an inspiration to all of us out there. National records - World records -It's great - having done a little of this myself i know about the "it's all about me" factor and it really is - it's a personal challenge that only you and your mind can overcome and it's brilliant that our bodies are capable of so much more than we ever thought. I had recently decided to 'hang up my towel' so to speak for a few reasons but the big one being ' that faith in myself' 'the doubt' 'the fear' - the whole lot of it. I am re-evaluating that decision as we speak because it is something i loved doing and i miss doing it - even if the majority was in the pool - i still had fun and yes it was a challenge but a good challenge and one that i do need for ME - Well Done everyone so far and Best Wishes to ALL of you for the rest of the comp

ps - Hi Joy -
Go drink and be merry - Chairs

AQUAGURL

Reactions: island_sands
Sam, I think the comp has four more official days. Tomorrow, a rest day, and then three more after that.

This is when successive deep dives start to take their toll and the pressure mounts for everyone trying to do a personal best or achieve a personal/record goal. Dive or rest for the next day? :duh

Does anyone know if the dives at the verticalblue "comp" count towards aida ranking ?

Some absolutely amazing results in this comp so far. More national records overnight, and unfortunately Sara did not pull off her 100m constant weight dive.... yet.

I just want to take a moment and acknowledge the astonishing results of Australian Walter Steyn. Wal went to the Bahamas holding the Australian Constant Weight record at 77m, and since then has broken this record with dives to 87m, 92m and overnight an amazing dive to 95m. These are absolutely massive leaps and just show how great a freediver he really is.

What makes Wal even more amazing is that he rarely gets to train depth, he would be lucky to do a deep dive once a year!! In fact, Wal lives hours away from the ocean and does all his training in the pool. How many other athletes can reach these depths with no regular depth training?

It's been great to see Wal in all the papers here in Oz as well as a little section on a morning television show, he's brought a lot of exposure to the sport over here.

Well done Wal, and keep the deep dives coming!

Cheers,
Ben

Reactions: kelp princess
Does anyone know if the dives at the verticalblue "comp" count towards aida ranking ?
They should do, this is an AIDA ranking competition. Well actually it's a number of AIDA competitions all wrapped up under the umbrella of a big event.

Cheers,
Ben

Last edited:
Re: URGENT MESSAGE FOR WAL

If anyone in the Bahamas reads this, ABC Radio in Australia are trying to get in touch with Wal for an interview this morning. Can they get Wal to call Michele (man) on +61 7 3368 3131. They are on air for another hour or so.

Cheers,
Ben

Thanks for that background Ben - what an outstanding group!

I think Will T should get some kind of award for putting this thing together and keeping it going. Rather Herculean.

The announcements are up:

0904_top_times

A lot of National records attempts, WOW,

William Trubridge is also attempting 111m, getting really close to Herbert's new WR of 114. - a really nice plot twist!
Herbert is announcing just 95m CWT, WHY? - is testing something, is he going FRC?

William Winram announced 86m CNF, equalling William Trubridge's CNF WR. Why not 87, the number he announced two days before?

Ryuzo is also getting closer to the 114 of Herbert, but will he be able to close the gab in the following competition days?

Davide Carrera is going to make a final intermediate step dive to 99m, getting close to become the worlds deepest CWT freediver wearing a mask!

Kathryn Mc Phee is making big 3m steps to the women's WR CNF, relocating her relaxation and comfort after her initial troubled start!
Walter Stein is RACING to the 100m CWT, his CWT progression is amazing!

The Final is shaping up really tence and nice, and I'm sure Dan Burton will have lot's of great 3d movie material for a great Freedive documentary film!

To all,

Love, Courage and Water,

Kars

Last edited:
A rumor (or maybe a fact and I am not well informed) is that Herbert will do a VWT world record attempt after the Verticalblue competition.
Maybe this is his training dive?

Amazing performances indeed!
Davide Carrera is going to make a final intermediate step dive to 99m, getting close to become the worlds deepest CWT freediver wearing a mask!
Not bad at all, but he still needs to go at least 10 meters deeper to be able claiming that record :) Martin Stepanek did his 108m CWT WR with a mask too. Or doesn't Sphera count?

Oh, God, only just logged on after a few days. SHORTER THAN A GAS STOVE?!?!?!? I take it back about Linda managing to successfully tread the fine line between taking the piss and pissing people off! Oi, STROPPY, Watch out, I'll be back soon!!

Hmmmm, that 100m - Damn! Soooo close. I saw the surface footage of it yesterday and I'm there, on the surface, with the tag, breathing... and then I'm on my back staring at the sky having my face lovingly tapped by one of the lovely italian safety divers (strange how they're always italian and always lovely - maybe something about coming back from that beautiful dreamy place to be gazing into a man's eyes...).

So, two black-outs, lots of learning and a real determination to still have a go at it. Legs are tired - in fact whole body is tired - so will have to see how it goes... Will keep you all guessing for now... Off to Hole to watch some of the action. If I can find a car....

xxx
Sara

Reactions: spaghetti
Nicely done Sara.
You've been there now - so its only a matter of time.

A rumor (or maybe a fact and I am not well informed) is that Herbert will do a VWT world record attempt after the Verticalblue competition.
Maybe this is his training dive?

very interrrrressssting.......it's quite the cliff hanger all of it!

can't wait 'til tmrw - go sara go!

kp

Davide Carrera is the best freediver I have ever seen or heard of. In my mind he blows everyone else away. Even Herbert has expressed his amazement with Davide.

Davide dives with a mask, no packing (7L), 3mm yamamoto suit, old generation mat-mas monofin with no angle, and no mouthfill for equalizing. He dives 99m like it is a total joke, celebrating on the ascent, not even breathing after getting to the surface, and virtually no narcosis either. He said the 99m was 'even easier than the 98m.' He said he chose to end with 99m because the number reminds him of infinity.

His training = his job = spearfishing commercially for 6 hours per day, 5 days per week, and he has done that for 4 years. He lives on a sailing boat (trimaran).

I always wondered what would happen if one of those European commercial spearfisherman tried diving on a line, and now we know. He could do 135m+ CWT if he pushed it with goggles and proper suit & monofin.

When spearfishing, he never uses a depth gauge either. He estimates he fishes mostly in the 30-45m range, using bifins but dolphin kicking.

Reactions: Kars
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT