• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

DeeperBlue.com Announce UK Member Meet 2013!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's taken a while but here is a short gallery video of the event this year!

[ame]https://vimeo.com/73129731[/ame]

Reactions: denian
Know it early but any date for next years meet ?if im allowed back !

Fist I need to find a 2014 calendar, then a 2014 tide table then we can base the event around a medium sized tide near the beginning of August.
August is a bit of a compromise as the early & late summer (June Sept) times are best for fishing but we have to think of the ladies too!
I think the smaller tide produce better vis & more bass but the spring tide are much better for bream, lobster & flatfish so it might be best to go in between.
Condor ferries are unlikely to release their 2014 summer time table until Jan or Feb.

Well I have had a quick look here Digimap Tides
It would seem to that there are two good options July 26th or Aug 9th, both have mid day lows and mediums size tides although July 26 tides are not quite so big.

Thanks for that. I think as we are looking for best weather its going to land in peak holiday time nomatter what. We will just have to go with it and find the best tides to suite.

It is difficult to please everyone but we really want the event to be a social rather than an out & out competition so a few days in Guernsey mid summer is favourite.

Hi Martyn and Ian, Great to hear that there will be another DB Gnsy fish in. The Jersey boys are really keen for another visit. We will soon be planning our 2014 club dives, so we will try and keep the weekends of 26th July and August free. cheers mike

Hi Mike, I am pretty sure we will be doing something :)

Stephan & myself are only just starting to get things planed but, we would welcome any suggestion regarding the event...

We hope to set an official date before long but it is not as easy as that!
I need to find out if there are any big angling events on the proposed dates & I think we need to discus a limit on the number of competing spearfishermen.
We don't necessarily want to limit overall numbers but I think we were pushing the number of guys in the water at one time this year?
what do you guys think would be a fair number... 20?

Last edited:
How bout running a pairs comp? Two people, one gun?
As it gets bigger have more people and less guns. 1 boat driver, 2 in water 1 gun etc.
:)

Spirit. Do you think Mullet Dog will take us out on his Dads boat for a few reef dives if a couple of us from the north come over for a few days either side the Meet ?

Reactions: foxfish
Spirit. Do you think Mullet Dog will take us out on his Dads boat for a few reef dives if a couple of us from the north come over for a few days either side the Meet ?

I am sure that it can be arranged.

Hi Mike, I am pretty sure we will be doing something :)

Stephan & myself are only just starting to get things planed but, we would welcome any suggestion regarding the event...

We hope to set an official date before long but it is not as easy as that!
I need to find out if there are any big angling events on the proposed dates & I think we need to discus a limit on the number of competing spearfishermen.
We don't necessarily want to limit overall numbers but I think we were pushing the number of guys in the water at one time this year?
what do you guys think would be a fair number... 20?

Hi Martyn, Halloween done! Wow, looks like u and Sarah put on another fantastic party! Amazing effort! Christmas next! You must love dressing up! Re 2014 Fish in, seen ur suggested options of 26th July and 9th August. The Jersey boys have checked the tides, and agree that the weekend of 26th July looks a bit better that 9th August (and incidentally is best with us). The 9th august has a pretty big tide on the Sunday, also, if any guys/girls come over early, the tides before the weekend of the 26th look a bit better too. As usual the Jersey boys are super keen and we hope to have the same 6 guys. We relish another chance to win back the team tankard! We will book asap, r u able to set the date? Re numbers, I generally think the more the merrier, but having seen the venues, perhaps 30 divers max? cheers mike

Dressing up or spending money!
Thanks for your input Mike, I am happy with the 26th... anyone else have any suggestions?

The main issue I have with the 26th is based on the bad weather we have experienced during the last few Julys!
Of course that is not to say we wont have amazing weather in July next year & obviously it is impossible to realistically predict!
I would really like some input from you guys....

My thought, for what its worth, is maybe we should look at late August?

There will be potentially more fish around, bigger fish (?) and a better chance of Gilthead etc.

Reactions: foxfish
A very good point Granti & a valid one too... the fishing is getting worse every year & mid summer is def not the best time!
There has been two ginormous pair trawling factory ships off our west coast for the last few weeks, you can see them all lit up at night!
We have a 12 mile limit that in theory should stop these monster English boats but apparently these two have a licence!
Anyway I will look at the late August tides....

Indeed -2.7 @ 1230 . I can do any date really but 23/08 would really be my preference.

Numbers wise - I'd agree with mike, somewhere around 25 ( including non divers) though is maybe easier from an organisation point of view ? Difficult one I guess!

. We relish another chance to win back the team tankard!

The tankard is on public display in the Great Hall in Edinburgh Castle. Once we confirm the date I'll arrange to borrow it for the weekend and will promise its safe return the following week :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT