• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Fin Lineup - Any Questions?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Are You the snorkel bum that used post to this forum year or two years ago? Guy with the legendary superman wave jumping?

tuomo

I've had a chance to try the Kelpie, mediums, and the C4-30's. The kelpies were somewhat stiff for surface swimming,and the floated up a little too much for my liking, although I was wearing a 6mm suit at the time. Still, they kept 'popping' above the water line as I surface swam out to an ice flow with one of our British guests.

The 30's, which I tried for the first time today, stayed in the water a bit better and they were easier on the legs than my 40's- makes me wonder what the 25's would be like?:confused:

I had really liked the Kelpies in the pool, but in a full winter wetsuit the 30's took the prize- for me at least. Actually, I ended up buying the 30's. Having done so I think I am ready to start downsizing my fin collection to just one pair of C4's, the 30s', and my Specialfin's Monofin- still the most comfortable monofin I have tried and much easier to go deep with. Plus, it looks like that's the way to go for the deep stuff nowadays.

I haven't had a chance to try the carbon-fiber fins from Special Fins, but Sven seems to think they are pretty special. I do know that I am no longer interested in the fiberplastic models.

One, surprising, thing that I noticed after all of this was how well my old SPorasub Radical's worked for spearfishing. I could beat the tar out of them and yet they still would allow me to kick all day long without even a hint of fatigue in my legs. For going deep the C4's do a better job than they did, but for surface swimming/ spearfishing they are still a nice fin- too bad they are no longer made.

Ted owns a pair of the Hard's and hasn't had a chance to try out my 30's yet. It will be interesting to hear what he thinks when he gets a chance.

There's also the Freedive-A-plooza thing coming up so that all of you can test out the Specialfins and the C4's. Mark, from OMER, might even make an apperance if things work out. This way each of you can try them out for yourself and decide if I am full of cr@p or not - which a could very well be.;)

jon

Can you think that C4 30 can suit allllll dayy long spearing stuff? I mean the dives which involves 6 hours nonstop surface swim and depth range between 10 meters to 30 meters?

It all depends upon your legs.

I've done it many times with my 40's, up to 8 hours a day in the water, so I can only imagine that it will be easier, for me, with my 30's.

Jon

Hmm thnx... still gonna try and get them (stereo pro) but all I need to do is find a d@mn Mastercard... ah man why dont VISA's work!!!
AND no I am not some wave jumping superman guy who posted a few years ago :p

Thanks for the replies on C4 vs Specialfins. Maybe we can have a get together to try fins here on the East Coast. I seem to have accumulated quite a collection myself and suspect I am not alone. Maybe Dutch Springs in PA or Lake Rawlings in VA? Any interest before the season gets too far underway? I'd be very interested in your findings, Jon. So far the fins I like most are OMER Carbon Pro and Waterway #3 in that order but I don't want to use those carbons in the pool too much. I seem to get the same number of lengths with everything I've tried, but the preferences mentioned seem to get me to where I'm going with less exertion, meaning I can keep up the pace for longer with those fins. The Waterways, BAT fins and 20 Fathom fins are apparently the same stuff, so it just depends on whether you want camo of the BAT fin or not. I have not given Specialfins or C4 a fair test yet and hence my question.

Also, I'm sure training is more important than fins, regardless of what you choose.

Mark,

How's about setting up the Palooza using the EastCoastFreediver Yahoo group and maybe the MAFC mailing list. I figured I'd post this suggestion here in order to make folks aware of both sites.

As far as open heeled fins goes, I've settled with the models from Esclapaz. Not so much that they're the only real open heeled fins out there, but they actually work. The pocket is quite large and reminds me of the cave that the defunct Imperial Turtle fins offers those of use drysuit types. The blades really stand up to the rocks and all and th4e strap mounts offer the ease of quick release buckles that hold up very well. The blades will work harden after a couple of years around the foot pocket/blade interface, but the performance isn't lost appreciably. I like 'em. King'o the Kup Jay Styron uses the same grey plastic blades with a closed pocket. as well.

Hi guys,
I've recently seen a new entry to the fin section in the scubastore.. Sporasub Pure Grafiber! I think it will be a match for the bats but do you have any idea or info on these fins?

Here is a quick info written on the scubastore...
Sporasub is proud to introduce a new revolutionary composite blade on Pure and Variant fins. This new blade has been obtained after years of researches on new composite materials. It is made of a special blend of fiberglass and graphite, called “GRAFIBER” that is giving very high performance in a light weight and highly resilient blade.

Last edited:
they definatly look cool and they are 20€ cheaper than the BAT fins... it also looks like it has more of a toe angle than the BATs do but then again it might be the picture

"The “GRAFIBER” blades are hand painted, one by one, with a new proprietary technology, to get the best camouflage finishing."

Painted camo :S

Fin Apalooza East

Pezman,
The more the merrier. I had planned to post to MAFC and East Coast freediver about an East Coast fin test thingie with thanks to the Wisconsin contingent for a great idea. Just meeting new folks who share the interest is worth the price of admission.
Regards and hope to see you there,
Mark

Reactions: Pezman
uh...great.

Originally posted by Jon
Ted owns a Hard and hasn't had a chance to try out mine yet. It will be interesting to hear what he thinks when he gets a chance.
jon

:D Ahh life in the ice...

I've been granted the wonderful opportunity to thrash a pair of and write about the OMER BAT fins, as provided by Mark Labiapancetta at Technosport, www.technosport.com and they are as good a fin as you've all heard. The finish on them is insanely good, nay SMOOTH, and they feature some design features that I wondered why the other makers hadn't incorporated. Stay tuned for the write-up here in DB and in the meantime, I'm bringing them down to the Keyz Kraze for the other in-the-know types to flex and rave about.

They will be a feature at the a-Palooza as well.

Sven,

I've already used them and they don't compare with the C4's.

Jon

I got the Sproasub Grafibers a couple of weeks ago. They are a VERY soft and light fin. I jumped in the bay with them for a few drops to see how they performed. These are my observations:

This fin is definetely the softest and longest blades in my collection at this time. Initially, I was worried about their performance because I was used to the stiffer fins I have been using since last season and over the winter in the pool. (C4-40's, Matrix 40's, Specialfin Kelpie Hard's). However, after using them for a while, I learned that that they were most effective when using longer and slower kick cycles, taking advantage of the fin's length. Unlike the Matrix fins, the Grafibers have an angle in them, making them quiet and a pleasure for surface swimming. Also, because of their softness, I experienced little to no muscle fatigue after extended use, compared to the harder fins I mentioned above.

As far as depth, I was able to hit 30-35 ft. with no problems. However, coming up off the bottom at that depth trook a little bit more work than what I was used to. It is a little hard to explain, but with the harder fins previously listed, I felt myself coming off the bottom immediately after on kick. With the Grafibers, it took a couple of kicks before I felt myself rising off the bottom. Although this is no problem for me, I do not think I would take these fins deeper than 40-60 ft.

All in all, the Grafibers are good durable fin ( I banged them around alot on the bottom of the pool and on the rocks in the bay with no ill effects) that are a pleasure to use. These fins are an "all day long" and/or shallow water fin. They are perfect for those long surface swims and all day long diving the reefs and rocks in the 20-40 ft range. Beyond those depths, I would use one of the stiffer fins. However that is just my opinion...

Memo....If you wanted to compare the Grafibers to the Omer BAT fins, they would be comparable to the BAT 20's. I have only used the BAT 40's so I cannot compare, except that the BAT fins have no angle to them. I am assuming beause of this, the Grafibers would be better for surface swimming.....again, just an observation....

Here are some pics.....

Attachments

• grafiber3a.jpg
    grafiber3a.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 390
Last edited:
Reactions: unirdna
As far as I know, right now it only comes in the one stiffness.

The color seems to have been impregnated into the fin, right into the fiber of the blade itself. The color looks to go strait thru the fin material. Just look at the texture of the colors in the pics above. Although you can clearly see the fiber/mesh material in some of the color, the fin has a smooth surface. If the color were just painted on, you would be able to feel the texture that the color is showing. (Which you can't...)

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT