• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Live from Egypt 2006

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
You always hear that the best in humankind will show itself under the worst conditions. I think this happened here and all of us here feel very sad for Will. I think it is better for a freediver to do an attempt and fail then being ready and not being able to dive. :head

About organizing.

trux said:
I understand that some of the organizers prefer to keep the know-how for themselves, but if they were more open, it would be in a great benefit of all, and I bet that the overall level of competitions would significantly increase. ..., I bet that you can learn from each other too.
I think Aida should demand that the organizer of a WC event should reserve 6-7 slots for persons from previous WC organizations (and future) to be present at every WC. Free room, food, t-shirt and a place in the organization. More nationalities involved - morespread of knowledge.

Sebastian

Either that, or they should just hold the wcs somewhere fixed. Nice - All round good conditions, temps & top infrastructure. Everyone seemed very happy from all accounts I heard of the last one.

I never quite get the need that all these sporting events have to keep shuffling around the world.

Canada was a bit controversial as the conditions were obviously different to what many people are used to, but top organisation. Hawaii is cool, but not easy access to most people without sponsorship.

Why make each WC a gamble for the athletes? Just find something that works and stick with it. Nice is just an example. I'm sure that if Yehia was to arrange the next WC in hurghada again (don't flame me pls...) he would probably do a fine job with the experience he now has.

I'm thinking more for the athletes & perfs than for the fun of checking out a new place every year.

It would also make the whole thing vastly more media friendly/easy.

Can anyone think of good reasons -for the athletes- why the WCs should keep changing location every year?

fred

I'm going to stick my neck out a bit here:

I wasn't at the World's in Hurghada so my only knowledge of what it was like is from the posts on this forum and from a few athletes that I know who were there.

I think that the most important thing to take away from the event is the knowledge and experience of the mistakes that were made and to build on them for following events. It is very easy to point the finger of blame at Yehia, the other organisers involved, and AIDA, but that really does not solve anything and creates a lot of negativity that is counter-productive. Unless you have spent time in Egypt, you will have no clue as to how greatly the culture differs from our 'Western' culture, and how this in itself, makes things infinitely more difficult.

It would be far better for a selection of people who were involved at all levels, together with representatives from AIDA, to sit down and go through the past few weeks with a fine toothcomb and examine the details to the nth degree - not just the event itself, but the promotion/marketing involved in the run-up to the event as well. This would set the scene for building a solid foundation for any events that follow, upon which you can build greater things.

I think the fact that many people pulled together under very difficult circumstances and to take on roles that were not meant to be theirs, in order to make the event happen, is a testament to the passion that people have for this sport.

I could say more, but I am not going to bore you all. Apologies if all this seems like common sense, but no one else has said it yet.

Mike

I really should have acknowledged a lot earlier all the helpers that turned up as coaches/partners and the like and ended up playing pivotal roles in the whole comp.

And a special thanks to the judges - Grant Graves, Dimitris Vassilakis, Ute Gessman, Chris Engelbrecht and Gabriela Contreras. Without their drive and determination there's no way the comp would have occurred. I've never seen such exhaustion in people before and Grant looked particularly worn down and sick in the last couple of days (and eaten alive by mosquitos).

Also, another unsung hero was Stefan, Yehia's right hand man. He took an amazing amount of shit and still came back for more with little complaint.

I hope you guys, wherever you are now are having a good sleep!

Cheers,
Ben

Reactions: CEngelbrecht
The reason why AIDA should shift world location at every international competition, is the same as why the Olympics shifts every time. Any sport which relay itself to the Olympic idea must seek to unite the finest of all humanity's athletes to an equal combat. The best way to do that is to travel the globe as much as possible. This year in Egypt, we had a country like Eritrea participating. Maybe one year, we will compete in Okinawa and have China or Thailand participating. We can't have freediving to be a 'local' sport only seing big events in North America or Europe. That's not the Olympic idea.

That of course has to be paired with who can actually pull of these events, and do it good. This year in Egypt was a nightmare, but also a signal that we can do it anywhere... as long as the right people get to do their thing!

All we gotta do now is look for the right people every time...

Chris Engelbrecht, Copenhagen

aw, who took the picture away? Never knew deeperblue was based in China.
C'mon honestly.

Maybe barrypoet could post a picture showing - for technical purposes - an example of proper relaxation technique as demonstrated recently at the WC.

f

Well, the olympics would seem to be a questionable example of organisational efficiency at this point in time, coming from London as I do. And then the obvious question - Why do the olympics need to shift every time? Is it for financial purposes or for the sake of the athletes who are supposed to be the heart and soul of the event?

OK, aside that, if we're looking for everyone to have an equal footing in terms of access and diving conditions... Was Canada a place where everyone was on equal ground, or instead where people used to diving in cold, dark water were at a distinct advantage? Was Hawaii an easy place for an Eritrean to travel to? Again, what advantage comes to the athlete from every year having to change everything around? Is it right that every year athletes should be wondering if they'll be able to afford a ticket to get to wherever the next WC will be held? Certain places are much easier to access than others. I think that the vast majority would find it easier to arrange travel to France than to to Hurghada say.

I see no benefits in rearranging the WCs every single year at the moment, as opposed to maybe investing in something outstanding that will be there as a valued resource to us all for years to come, both as a centre for the competition & for training, education & research. What has remained of the WCs in Hurghada?

fred

some photos are up on

//http://www.flickr.com/photos/samdive/sets/72157594421138082/

Hmm..... in my head I always think i'm cooler than I really am.....

I know what you mean Benny. I really thought I was Superman until I saw the photos.....

We have a new version of the WC result doc.

Now you also find the IND-RANKING in the same doc.

have fun,
/B

Billextreme said:
We have a new version of the WC result doc.Now you also find the IND-RANKING in the same doc. have fun,
/B

Has USAA reported results from USA Nationals in Hawaii from September or for Tokyo from last month? Thanks.

Peace,
Glen

In addition to the great ideas already posted, I would like to coin this one:

The organisor should have proven his worth organising a 40 people international event, that should be evaluated and takenen into accound for granting the event.

I understood that there are schedules;schemes; checklists etc. out there how to organise an freedive event, making ignorance an inexcusable claim.

I'm happy to learn that the people over there in Slovenia are testing their organisation beforehand, well done!

Love, peace and water,

Kars

Reactions: BennyB
Funny, AIDA has many levels of instructors (*, **, *** etc...)

Why not have different 'certifications' for organizers?
Level 1 (*) organizer: has successfully organized at least 2 small competitions
Level 2 (**) organizer: has successfully organized at least 5 small competitions and at least 1 national championships
Level 3 (***) organizer: has successfully organized at least 8 small competitions, 2 national championships
Level 4 (****) organizer: has successfully organized at least 10 small competitions, 3 national championships and at least 1 world-cup or international championship

NOTE: massively failed competitions do not count towards a person's total (logistical failure, delay of more than one day, blackout due to organization error, etc.)

In my opinion, ALL world championships must only be awarded to a country/location who has on their team a Level 4 (****) organizer.

Examples of Level 4 organizers include Claude Chapuis, Kirk Krack, and Lotta Ericson.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT