• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Old Man Dave - sad news.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Again - I am overwhelmed with all the wonderful responses & caring thoughts.
I have really appreciated all the PMs you guys have sent to me (some I have yet to read) I will give personal replies to all but it might take some time!
However I am most impressed with the genuine feel for OMD, he obviously spent a lot of time helping people beyond the open forum, via PMs.
Crikey I thought my bro told me everything but it seems he had so many appreciative friends I never knew anything about!!

I didn't know OMD but have received encouragement and advice from him as I expect everyone did. Thank you for supporting everyone Dave with your knowledge. DB has lost a brother. But your legacy is there for all to read time and again.

My thoughts for all that are nearest to you. God bless.

Mark Bishop (greenhorn)

Good pic, good times, best to ya, don't know ya but I too have brothers, one on each side....I'm with ya.

Shocking news, this community will miss a spearing legend and ultimate source of advice and assistance.
RIP OMD.
Condolences to his family.

However I am most impressed with the genuine feel for OMD, he obviously spent a lot of time helping people beyond the open forum, via PMs.

He certainly did!

Very few people can carry such a depth of knowledge and experience with such humility and such a generous heart as Dave did.

I heard it said that people who think they are something big always leave you feeling smaller after you talk to them while people who are truly something always leave you bigger. Dave was quite something!

When I think of him I only have positive memories associated with his name which is another good mark he left in this world. I am sorry for Your loss Foxfish

Mart, Derek and all the Foxens, so sorry to hear about Dave, a truly mighty man on this forum and I am sorry for having never met him in person but I feel like I knew Dave as well as any of my friends that I see in person. Rest In Peace Dave and enjoy the diving up there.

For anyone who might have an interest in boats....Dave made this file but I dont think he ever showed it to anybody, its shows his amazing hands on skills.

"Amazing" hardly covers it. What a marvelous project. How long ago was it done? I do hope he got to enjoy the fruits of his (considerable!) labor.

A sad day for the spearfishing community both in the UK and here. He was generous with his thoughts and advice and will be sorely missed. But I'm sure wherever he has gone he's already gotten his feet wet and probably caught the first entry to fish of the month......respect to whom ever he has left behind, we are sorry for your loss.

MY DB Family; I am ashamed that it took the loss of a loved one and a true valued member of this community to bring me back to the surface after a long period of silence. I was in disbelief when I got the PM from Valentino earlier today. My deepest condolences go out to Mart and Derek and all of Dave's friends here. When I moved to the US and started slowing down on spearfishing and participating in the forums, Dave and Mart, were among the few who kept in touch. I will truly miss his good nature, his mentoring spirit and cheerful soul.
This was a harsh reminder to me and I am sure to a number of us as well, regarding what matters in life and giving priority to what we cherish the most. Dave is definitely a good example in this area, he gave a lot of his time to his passion and to his friends and family and we should learn from that..I certainly will. He will be in my prayers...RIP

Rest in peace Dave. I will miss your reports and stories, you were an inspiration to me. My sincere condolences to the Foxen family

My deepest sympathies to all Dave's family and close friends, of whom I count myself as one, although I only met him twice. Each time was during Mart's famous fish-in/cook-in fests, which we all enjoyed so much. Dave was kind enough to accompany me on one of his amazing night dives at L'Ancresse, where his torch picked out sight after sight. He also demonstrated one of his many skills as he showed me how to 'J fillet' a bass I was lucky enough to catch last year.

Top scuba man, spearo, and, briefly, friend.

RIP Dave ( but I bet he'll have a project of some sort going on!)

Graham

What a tragedy.

I didn't know Dave personally, but I'm certainly going to miss him - as I'm sure we all will.

Dave struck me as wise, informative and very helpful; an amazing source of knowledge, for me he virtually was Deeper Blue. He was also something of an inspiration, a man who seemed to live his life completely to the full.

Things aren't going to be the same around here anymore.

My sincere condolences to family & friends.

RIP O.M.D

Sorry to hear of OMD's passing.... he gave this newbie a warm welcome to DB, some words of wisdom and encouragement and he has left a great legacy of knowledge and experience here on these boards. I hope he's happy and at peace where ever he has journeyed to.

Rest In Peace

Sorry to hear about Old Man Dave. He has helped me a lot.

I wish the best for his family and friends.

He will be missed.

Dave we will mis you ............
rest in peace
Condolences to his family

A Irish blessing that I love....

May the roads rise to meet you,
May the winds be always at your back,
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
The rains fall soft upon your fields,
And until we meet again
May God hold you ~
in the hollow of his hand.

Sincerely, Don

rip omd my thoughts go out to his loved ones an exelent spearo and always willing to give advice to help me and others

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT