• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Old Man Dave - sad news.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
i only knew him on here but he was the first one to give me any rep power and he just seemed like an all around nice guy!

good vibes to all who knew him

stumbled accross this and thought it fitting and poetic.
http://forums.deeperblue.com/beach-bar/58791-work-what-do-you-do-living.html#post520776
"For most of my adult life I've been trying to fit into a society that has made littlie sense to me. And I have undoubtedly made even less sense to it. You see, I was born a hunter. Some folks are born musicians, or artists, or athletes. Others are born to make money, heal people, design buildings and bridges, tend bar and sail ships. There are those born to no particular calling at all, and slide through life untroubled by such pullings. Although I find it hard to believe that there are men (and women) born to be accountants, sell insurance, be ushers, or in general wear wing tip shoes, they are at least able to make their way in life. When they are out of a job they can, with a degree of assurance, run down to the unemployment office and ask "Have you got anything for me today?" There is no employment for blue water hunters; take my word for it.
I've tried all sorts of jobs, white collar, blue collar, no collar. I've even worn wing tip shoes. Every serious job I had ate me alive. The more money I made the bigger chunks it took out of me. Not chunks of flesh, I could have lived with that. What is taken cannot be seen with the naked eye. What is taken is pieces of the spirit, slices of the soul, cuts of the heart. What is taken is who you are.
In all my time spent in the ocean wilderness, it has never once asked for nor taken a piece of me. Quite the reverse: it has healed that which was wounded; it has given freely of its gifts and asks only that I pay close attention to it. Upon my entry into the ocean, it fills my spirit, cleanses my soul and repairs my tattered heart."

With aknowledgement to Carlos Eyles "The last of the blue water hunters"

"I was born a hunter" Old Man Dave

Absolutely Bod & I can tell you Dave kept, the most worn out copy of that book right alongside his computer & within grasp of his easy chair - in fact it is still there.

For Dave . . .

Great Mother Ocean brought forth all life, it is my eternal home.
But I have been gone into strange worlds so long . . .
countries without currents, countries without tides, countries without depth.
I have forgotten how to live in the world that created me.
I can no longer breathe the water.
I am slow and I am clumsy, I have lost my grace.
But the deep indigo of the depths calls me like a loving mother . . .
return to the depths, return to the source, return to your nature.

Sometimes beneath the shimmering surface of my memory,
I sense the deeper memories of generation after generation of hunters.
For tens of thousands of years I have kept a faithful record of my hunting,
so the children of my children's children will know and remember.
And more permanent than any painted stone . . .
is the memory that lies at the heart of my every cell,
the memory of my hunting, the history of my tribe.
And when I wake beneath the modern sky,
full of smoke and sound.
as from a dream I believe I lost my way back.
For I cannot forget I am a hunter and I am from a race of hunters,
and there is no place for hunters in this time.

With kind permission, written by Don Berry.

Last edited:
Reactions: azapa
Hi Mart, only just seen the news.

Deepest sympathy from all the spearos over here in Jersey. He was a true inspiration to many....

Deeply

David

For Dave . . .

Great Mother Ocean brought forth all life, it is my eternal home.
But I have been gone into strange worlds so long . . .
countries without currents, countries without tides, countries without depth.
I have forgotten how to live in the world that created me.
I can no longer breathe the water.
I am slow and I am clumsy, I have lost my grace.
But the deep indigo of the depths calls me like a loving mother . . .
return to the depths, return to the source, return to your nature.

Sometimes beneath the shimmering surface of my memory,
I sense the deeper memories of generation after generation of hunters.
For tens of thousands of years I have kept a faithful record of my hunting,
so the children of my children's children will know and remember.
And more permanent than any painted stone . . .
is the memory that lies at the heart of my every cell,
the memory of my hunting, the history of my tribe.
And when I wake beneath the modern sky,
full of smoke and sound.
as from a dream I believe I lost my way back.
For I cannot forget I am a hunter and I am from a race of hunters,
and there is no place for hunters in this time.

Written by Don Berry.... I will add the ending this Sun when I find my notes.

Yesterday I read OMD's last posts just over a week ago about his Scooter
he just received from the US. I did not detect a hint of worry in his post.

Don

Last edited:
Reactions: spaghetti
Not managed to get on line for a while until today - my brother told me the sad news the other day. My thoughts go to his family and friends, he'll be greatly missed!

Nick

My thoughts to those who were closest to him, and thanks to OMD for all the advice and inspiration.

I had not the pleasure of meeting Dave hovever I would just like to add my name to the very long list of people that will miss OMD's intelligent & helpful response to any topic of conversation - particularly when we needed a voice of experience to settle a "discussion" - big fins to fill...
Posted via Mobile Device

I am so sorry to hear this terrible news, Martyn, Derek and families my sincere condolences, if there is anything please let me know if there's anything I can do

I never had the good fortune to meet Dave let alone dive with him but I do count him as a good friend and his passing will leave an empty space in my heart. I've never been one to make friends easily or hold respect for those who are at best mediocre no matter how highly they think of themselves, Dave however was a bit of a hero to me and I shall be forever glad that our paths crossed even if it was only on a forum. He was one of the few spearos who actually knew what they were talking about, when he spoke or gave advice it was worth listening to.

Dave old man, from a distance you touched my heart and this news has left me saddened beyond belief, rest in peace dude

Last edited:
Very Sorry to hear. My thoughts are with OMD's family.
Spent hours reading his posts, which helped me out seriously when i was getting started.

Dave's church service & celebration of his life went very well.

The church was full of his friends, pupils, colleagues and, of course, family. There were some lovely readings by family & friends including one from Dave's very brave daughter, Ellie, who read an extract from one of Dave's favorite books, "The Lord of The Rings". Our sister also read a poem. There was also a nice reading read by Deacon Jimmy Aitken.

There was an amazingly emotional "Guard of Honor" at the end of the service organised by Deeper Blue members.

The service was followed by refreshments at a local hotel where people had a chance to talk about their experiences with Dave & look at the many photographs we made available.

Tom (Dave's son) & myself made our own tribute board for Dave that included many of your thoughtful comments to be found on this thread.

Dave was very impressed by the staff & facilities where he recieved his treament and, on that basis, anyone wishing to make a donation can send to - Bulstrode House, c/o Miss N C Moore, Heathfield, Belmont Estate, Kings road, St Peter Port. GY1 1QA.

Reactions: Stephan Whelan
Great mother ocean brought forth all life
and beneath the surface of the sea I am always dazzled by the plenitude... the endless and eternal generosity of the mother.
Is there a memory of what this means I have somehow forgotten?
Is there a harmony my ears can not hear but my every cell knows?
Just beyond the reach of my senses, beyond the reach of my rational mind I know that I am part of that invisible web that connection all living things together.
But I am such a tiny speck in this vast blue and so long removed that my understanding fails when I try to grasp the greater meaning.
Still there is the call to return and the elusive promise of understanding....if not today perhaps tomorrow... or the day after
or perhaps not in this life.
But a understanding that is worth a life worth seeking. Don Berry

Don Paul

Last edited:
Hello all. Haven't posted on this site for ages but heard the sad news about Dave. What a terrible shame. Lovely man who helped me no end with engineering drawings for my house build and always great company for a cuppa and chat about all things fishing / diving.
RIP Dave.

I have had a few polite enquiries about Dave via PMs, I can answer a few of your questions here...
Dave held a masters degree in Civil engineering but decided to become a school teacher, he taught design technology.
Dave, also owned a licenced boat, allowing him to sell fish & shellfish.
He scuba dived for flatfish & scallops but, in more recent years he just dived for fun & a feed for the family.
Of course his main long term interest was spearfishing, he entered & won numerous competitions & held two British spearfishing records.
Dave & his wife Helen had two children & one grandchild.
To say Dave was "good" with kids would be an understatement...
Anyone wishing to see what the school pupils thought of Dave can search on face book for Dave Foxen.
Mart.

Reactions: Stephan Whelan
Mart have searched fb but can only find dave foxens in the states.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT