Friday, April 19, 2019
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 40,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 496,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,300+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Open or closed muzzle

Bill McIntyre

San Clemente, CA
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jan 27, 2005
San Clemente, CA
Bellboy, you've been begging for bottom times, so I'm going to give you some.

Yesterday was the first time I've been diving since November. I don't generally dive in the winter here since the game fish that interest me are absent, and this year we've had a lot of storms and record rainfall that have kept the visibility poor much later than usual. Also, this is the first time I've been diving since I turned 80, so I was worried about how my body would perform. My first dive was 41 seconds, and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't worse. My best dives were only 53 seconds, but that was roughly in line with where I left off last season. I'll be delighted if I can hit one minute with a bit more practice. I was pretty cold since temp was 57 degrees F and I should have worn my 7 mm suit instead of my 5mm.

So there you have some numbers. Not very impressive, are they? My dive buddy's longest dive was 1min 18 seconds, but he's only 40. Should I quit since my times are so short? I'm not going to. I never felt the least bit of urgency when I hit the surface since no fish is that important to me. With a little luck I'll get fish with those times. I won't get as many as my buddy will, but this isn't a competition. I'm in it for fun.

About 68 years ago when I started no one knew a thing about blackout. When I surfaced I often was dizzy and seeing stars. I have no idea what my times were since we didn't had dive watches, but I feel lucky that I lived through it. But you have the advantage of all the knowledge that people are offering. I've never done a table in my life. I never hold my breath when I'm not underwater. But on the other hand I'm still alive and enjoying diving and my grandchildren. A lot of people who were "better" divers than I am are dead, including one of my best dive buddies. The hardest thing Ive ever done was call his wife from Mexico and tell her that she was a single mother of four kids. The heaviest carry on luggage I've ever carried was the box with his ashes after I got him cremated in La Paz. Don't put your dive buddies and parents through something like that.

I didn't get any fish yesterday but the visibility was only about 8 feet. With better conditions I think my times will let me get a few fish this year. But I'm not going to dive deeper or longer than is comfortable.

Last edited:

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Sunny Britain
Wow. Bill that has got to be the post of the year and it's only March. It will take a while to fully absorb the implications of that story. :(

The figure that stuck in my mind is that you are 80!!! And still spearing. I didn't know it was possible. Bill, you were already my hero but doubly so now! An inspiration to us all. :)

OP
OP
Bellboy7

Bellboy7

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Wow bill 80, YOUR THE MAN, thats awesome mate, so proud right now, AND YES YOUR TOTALLY RIGHT, I HAVE A 21YO SON A 18YO DAUGHTER AND MY 4 YO BABY GIRL, SO WE NEED TO BE AROUND FOR OUR KIDS AND GRANDKIDS, u touched my heart with that point, THANKS FOR HITTING IT HOME,,, ENJOY THE DIVE, FISH IS A BONUS,, GOT IT, CHEERS,

Reactions: Mr. X